“Charming hotel not suitable for solo traveller”

The American Colony Hotel
Ranked #9 of 98 Hotels in Jerusalem
Dublin, Ireland
“Charming hotel not suitable for solo traveller”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2010

I stayed in the American Colony hotel for 6 night. On arrival the staff were friendly and welcomed me with a glass of champagne. All through my stay the staff in general were very helpful and nice. Especially at the front desk where they arranged a tour for me and sorted out other things.

I found the hotel a little impersonal and also quite expensive. The food was so so. And although very efficent and helpful the staff left me cold.

I was told that breakfast was served until 10.30. On my first day I arrived in the dining room at about 10.25 and was told by the waiter that I had 5 mintues and then I had to finish breakfast. this made me very uncomfortable ... it's not a nice way to treat a guest who is on their own on their first day in a forgien country. Oh and without any apology the pool was shut the entire time I was there.

Also the hotel has its own fleet of taxis outside the door. The drivers invaribly refused to turn on their metres and my suspicion that I was being fleeced was confirmed when the taxi back to the airport was nearly double my taxi from the airport.

Overall for its history, its courtyard and its ability to be a haven of peace in a crazy city.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank unaontour

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Zurich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2010

The American Colony Hotel must be one of the most amazing Hotels in the Middle East. It's romantic setting and timeless elegance made our holiday in Palestine and Israel unforgettable. Since our last stay at the American Colony in November 2008 the Hotel has further improved its services under the new General Manager Paolo Fetz who is a great host and a passionate Hotelier with the eye for the details. We will hopefully be back very soon!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Green Oaks, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

This is a beautiful small historic hotel popular with ambassadors and celebrities. During our visit, Tony Blair was a guest here. We chose this hotel because it was small, private and charming, but offered business services not available at your average "boutique" hotel. It offers a conference center, which we used, and wireless internet. The hotel is absolutely charming, and worked very hard to accommodate our special needs. Our film production crew stayed here in October, and one of the things that we needed were very early morning breakfasts. The hotel opened the restaurant for us early one morning, and provided us with boxed breakfasts on other days as requested. Our work days started on average at 4:30 a.m. We had a variety of rooms. The standard rooms are clean and basic, but not fancy. Upgrading to a Pasha suite will give you a beautiful room with lovely detailing, tile work, and high ceilings (I would recommend spending the extra money if you can). One of the two restaurants is outdoors and makes you feel as if you are eating in a garden--just lovely. There is also an excellent indoor restaurant, bar, swimming pool, business center, and English bookstore. This hotel is upscale, quiet, and absolutely charming--you won't find big tour groups staying here. I would absolutely stay here again--I loved it! Tip: Be sure to make a dinner reservation in advance for Friday nights--or you won't get a table.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

I stayed here with my son for one night at the end of a busy trip through several Middle Eastern countries ... what a wonderful way to end a journey! All was perfect in terms of surroundings and staff, whom I cannot recommend highly enough. Breakfast was to die for !
Having stayed at quite a few special hotels whilst working abroad, I would put this hotel on a par with the original Raffles or The Oriental in Bangkok.
Coupled with the fact that Jerusalem is one of the most fascinating cities in the world, with so much to see, I can't wait to return to The American Colony !

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Examiner
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

My wife and I stayed here for four nights, hired a well educated private guide, whom we called "Wally" (Wallid Halaasi) through the hotel for tours of Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Jericho and the Dead Sea. Taxi services were also arranged through the hotel. Wally was great, knew everything and had a good sense of humor.
When we checked in for a superior deluxe room, we were upgraded immediately to a Pasha room just off the garden dining area and offering a large, beautifully decorated room with a large private terrace overlooking the pool area. The food and service at the two outdoor dining areas were very good. No need to go elsewhere as the menu accomodates most tastes but is not Kosher. The included breakfast is served indoors in a nice dining room and offers an excellent selection of cereals, fruits and cooked to order items. The service staff in all areas were wonderful. Elias, the Captain of the garden dining was great as was his staff. The reception/concierge staff was accomoding in everyway, pleasant and efficient and always with a smile.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Vancouver BC Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2009

We had four days between a very busy schedule and were looking for a place to stay in Jerusalem to rest - this was the perfect spot. It is within walking distance of the old city, which is what we wanted to explore. They upgraded us to one of the larger rooms and treated us so well. The garden where breakfast was served (and what an incredible breakfast) was so very pleasant. As advertised, we overheard conversations from journalists and met some very interesting people. I would definitely splurge and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

We recently stayed at the American Colony with our family (11 of us) to attend a wedding in Jerusalem. We had 6 rooms and everyone loved it. All the rooms were in a different part of the hotel and each had its own charm. The service was excellent and the food (breakfast and a few dinners) was very good. We particularly enjoyed the Summer Garden where we had drinks some evenings. We will be staying at the hotel again in February (just 2 of us) for another visit. We can't wait!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family