“Excellent location, lacklustre room”
Review of New Imperial Hotel

New Imperial Hotel
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed in this establishment for 3 nights. From the outside the building looks very nice albeit run down, but the location right next to Jaffa Gate is enviable. My room was not facing the front towards the Tower of David, but rather on the side in the alley. Didn't have a view, but at least it was quiet since on the front they were digging and repairing the pavement outside. The size of the room was decent for a single room, but the state of the room itself reflected that of the building in general, rather run down. The furniture was also rather basic and the bathroom was rather tight (but clean). Unfortunately I had to ask them to change the sheets because they were dirty when I arrived, and the new ones they put were only marginally better.
The breakfast was not that great either. All in all I had a feeling like $70/night for a single room with a single bed was a bit overpriced given the overall package of things, but then again what you're paying here is not the room itself but rather the fact that your in such a convenient location for visiting the Old City.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 30 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for four nights around Christmas 2010. My friends and I were able to get a room with three beds and a bathroom in a downstairs area and two beds and a bathroom in an upstairs loft. This worked out perfectly for us - we were able to enjoy each others company and get comfortable sleep.

The hotel location is perfect - right at the Jaffa Gate - and there are some nice restaurants and bars around. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a complimentary breakfast, but it did not add value the stay.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for good value and a great location.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank katrina329
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I came at the reception with a confirmed reservation from Mr. Dajani. I was however told they had no room and there were no apologies. A reservation at this hotel means also nothing, it is no guarantee for having a room. So if you want to be sure to have a room in Jerusalem, go somewhere else, for example the Petra hostel next door.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Jan187323
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We left after 2 sleepless nights. Our room was 1 floor up from street level. It was soooo loud. Also the door to the balcony didn't latch or lock. (yes one little level up from the street.). I slept with my money on my waist and my laptop under my pillow. I asked for a different room, and got a vague answer from the manager about all the rooms being the same. Unpleasant things like a large ladder in the hall cover w rags, a large hole in the hall wall covered by fabric. Breakfast marginal, location great.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2010

Heaven. Down at heel, eccentric, cheap, the atmosphere of the Ottoman Empire and a black and white film. Try to get a room for $50. I did though it was pretty dreadful. The porter broke my wheeler and the payment was waived. I would never stay anywhere else in Jerusalem. The only hotel in the world i love more is the Baron in Aleppo. An Englishwoman told me Allenby stayed there. Not a place most Americans would like.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Paulvew
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We looked for a hotel in Old city of Jerusalem as walk in. Checked some of other nearby hostels too. However good places were all full and we did not like Petra hotel or other backpacker places.

In New Imperial hotel, we stayed one of cheaper room i guess. However price is almost same as Petra hotel. New Imperial hotel has better and clean rooms. At first I was a little bit worry about no A/C, however night of Jerusalem was cooling and A/C is not required.
We have lovely balcony. From there, you can see lots of Jewish people go to/from Western wall.

Hotel people was very helpful and I liked their historic decelerations of dining room, stairs and lobby. But a little bit freaky to see the mannequins when we came back late in the night. They put some mannequins with traditional arabic dress in lobby and stairs.

As other review said, location is good. Tourist information is just next corner, there was very modern shopping center by 3 minutes walking distance from this hotel. And just the around the hotel entrance, there are restaurants and bars those open even for shabbat.

Overall, I was satisfied to stay in this hotel and will go back if I will go Jerusalem again! :)

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2010

The New Imperial Hotel was a real treat after landing in Israel, and checking into another hotel that wasn’t in the old city, and was unclean and felt unsafe!
I am a single parent traveller, and from the moment that my daughter (age 9) and I walked up the stairs to the New Imperial Hotel, and met the most gracious owner, Mr.Dajani, well..I knew we were in the right place for us!!
He showed us to our room, he made my daughter immediately feel like one of his own family by complimenting her and taking us into his office to see pictures of his young neices. He offered ideas of restaurants, places to see, and public transportations options. Very lovely man, and super welcoming.
Our room was spacious, clean, and the bathroom looked to be renovated and new. It had a lovely, clean shower with hot water if we wanted or needed it. The room was also furnished with a small desk (important because I write), and a very powerful fan. It was bright and cheerful.
The location of the hotel is right inside the Jaffa Gate of Old Jerusalem. Perfect location for the souks/markets, the post office, lots of eating options and of course, all the mystery and history of Old Jerusalem.
Transfers from the airport in Tel Aviv were easy with the Nasser Shuttle (approx $12 USD per person), and took about 45 minutes.
The breakfasts offered with our room rate included a typical Middle Eastern fare – hummus, baba ganoush, cucumber, olives, cold salads, pita and bread. Coffee, Tea & Juice were also available.
As a single parent traveller, I felt really safe and secure in this accomodation. My daughter loved all of the nooks and crannies of this beautifully historic building. Anywhere we went, we were asked where we were staying, and when we said, anyone we encountered only had respectful things to say about Mr. Dajani and his family...kind of makes one feel good to know that you are staying with such respected people!! The service and hospitality was second to none, and because of this, I would definitely recommend and visit The New Imperial Hotel again in future trips to this region. Next time though, I would stay for more than 4 days!!
**WIFI was available in my room**

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family