“Good location and helpful owner”
Review of New Imperial Hotel

New Imperial Hotel
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 9 August 2011

As everything in Jerusalem are expensive, imperial is also a little higher than our budget. However, my husband really wanted to stay inside the old city. after checking a few hostels and hotels, imperial seemed to be the best.

The location is awesome. Close to many main attractions and in The Christian Quarter. When I first saw the room, i thought it was dated. Sink in the room instead of the bathroom. Toilet pump was a little tricky but we managed to get it working.

On our first night, we couldn't find the remote to our Air con. So, we went down to the reception. The keeper came and turned it on for us but insisted he had to take the remote back with him. The second night we had to ask again but the keeper this night requested for payment. After a long explanation on how we got the room with AC, he agreed (not very nicely) to turn it on for only an hour until midnight. The toilet behind the breakfast area was dirty. Need a little attention in that area.

Of course the hotel also has it good sides. In fact alot of good factors. First, the owner is super. He ptovided us alot of help around and make our trip to Bethlehem, Dead Sea and Tel Aviv so easy. Million thanks to his guidances.

The hotel is decorated very neatly with plenty characters. Little sitting areas here and there make you feel like a home.

The hotel itselves is pretty good. Good location, decoration etc are good. However, i think a good revamp of staffs' professionalism and attitude will make the hotel much better.

Overall, I like the hotel and if we go back again, I would go back to Imperial.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Bobui

Reviewed 24 May 2011

We arrived on 2 January 2011 and stayed for three nights. It looked like the place has not been cleaned in about a hundred years. The breakfast room was terrible with dirty tablecloths, no serviettes and if you were not early you hardly got breakfast. Rooms were also dirty. The only good thing about this place is the location.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Boeksak
Reviewed 7 April 2011

Positive:
Decent value for Jerusalem. Great location just inside Jaffa Gate. Friendly and helpful staff. Good breakfast included. Fascinating public areas that date from the time that Lawrence of Arabia stayed here.

Negative:
Small, pokey rooms. Somewhat noisy.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sptravelers5
Reviewed 4 April 2011

Stayed in this establishment for 3 nights. From the outside the building looks very nice albeit run down, but the location right next to Jaffa Gate is enviable. My room was not facing the front towards the Tower of David, but rather on the side in the alley. Didn't have a view, but at least it was quiet since on the front they were digging and repairing the pavement outside. The size of the room was decent for a single room, but the state of the room itself reflected that of the building in general, rather run down. The furniture was also rather basic and the bathroom was rather tight (but clean). Unfortunately I had to ask them to change the sheets because they were dirty when I arrived, and the new ones they put were only marginally better.
The breakfast was not that great either. All in all I had a feeling like $70/night for a single room with a single bed was a bit overpriced given the overall package of things, but then again what you're paying here is not the room itself but rather the fact that your in such a convenient location for visiting the Old City.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for four nights around Christmas 2010. My friends and I were able to get a room with three beds and a bathroom in a downstairs area and two beds and a bathroom in an upstairs loft. This worked out perfectly for us - we were able to enjoy each others company and get comfortable sleep.

The hotel location is perfect - right at the Jaffa Gate - and there are some nice restaurants and bars around. The staff was friendly and helpful. There was a complimentary breakfast, but it did not add value the stay.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for good value and a great location.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank katrina329
Reviewed 5 November 2010

I came at the reception with a confirmed reservation from Mr. Dajani. I was however told they had no room and there were no apologies. A reservation at this hotel means also nothing, it is no guarantee for having a room. So if you want to be sure to have a room in Jerusalem, go somewhere else, for example the Petra hostel next door.

Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
4  Thank Jan187323
Reviewed 5 November 2010

We left after 2 sleepless nights. Our room was 1 floor up from street level. It was soooo loud. Also the door to the balcony didn't latch or lock. (yes one little level up from the street.). I slept with my money on my waist and my laptop under my pillow. I asked for a different room, and got a vague answer from the manager about all the rooms being the same. Unpleasant things like a large ladder in the hall cover w rags, a large hole in the hall wall covered by fabric. Breakfast marginal, location great.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family