“Couldn´t be in a better place!”
Review of New Imperial Hotel

New Imperial Hotel
Ranked #54 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I couldn´t be in a better place in Jersualem! The hotel is inside the old site, very close to Jaffa Gate, wicjh is great, but the best thing is the staff...the owner is great!!!!!!! Very friendly and helpfull. The hotel is very simple, but I was not looking for a fancy place.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 May 2014

Hi there.
I spent two nights at this establishment with my gf in May on a 7 days trip to Israel and Jordan. The Hotel it's very well located and quite easy to find. The interiors certainly add to the character of the hotel, giving it a feeling of authenticity. The rooms we had been given (num 6) was splitted on two floors, with one small bedroom and a nice toilet in the lower room and a double bed, but no windows on the top one. To be honest the room was not of the cleanest I have ever seen.

Waking up the day after i found some bugs bites on my arms. I thought of bed bugs since I had bed bugs some years ago so I know the beasts. I told this to the manager asking if it was possible to get another room. She said that she was going "to check". I didn't understand if she was going to check if there was another room available of if there were bed bugs in my room.
Either way they didn't change our room.

The breakfast was really good.

I would recommend this hotel, and I would probably go back to it myself but choosing a different room.

Room Tip: Don't get the room number six, it could have bed bugs. If you have problem falling asleep or you...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

cruise ship was in Ashdod for 2 days,we decided to stay in Jerusalem over night,booked hotel purely on its exelent location. I paid £60 for the room which is a good price for its location,we were met by a very friendly owner.the room was very basic for 1 night I thought it was fine,midnight we were woken by some idiots shouting and screaming outside the door,the , the windows in the room are old metal framed you could hear all the noise from the street.and motor bikes passing. finaly dropped off to sleep to be woken up at 5am by a lorry parked under the window with its engine running,while half a dozen blokes were pushing trollies about unloading it,it was very noisythis went on for about 45 mins, could not get shower temp right,could not bring myself to using the loo,having to put soiledtoilet paper in a bin as it would block the system. as it was now 7am we packed our suitcase and went for breakfast,what was on offer did not look appetising at all,coffee in paper cups,we had breakfast in the townafter leaving the hotel, very tired and hungry,it is a lovely old hotel,but not for me

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eric186259
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Simple and easy hotel inside the Jaffa gate at the old town, run by a friendly family, nice and helpful, the hotel is a kind of mix of an hostel and a hotel, in a friendly and nice environment, an old building with typical architecture and furnitures.
A good position for visiting the old city and with the public transports, very easy to reach by tram N°1 from the central bus station.
Everything works well, Just don't expect a luxury environment.
It's just a bit noisy because the doors are not actually sound proof at all, but it was a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Wallyontravel
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Bottom line: We loved our stay and would choose it again.

Just inside the Jaffa Gate, the New Imperial is ideally located for the Old City visitor and with what you need right at hand. Everything about it is as anachronistic and quirky as the city itself. The other guests were from all over the world and quite defied categorization.

I cannot ever recall being so warmly received and well treated. Mr. Dajani is both scholar and gentleman, and his largesse is palpable. He is the heart of the place, which itself feels alive. The staff were also wonderful. We were truly sad to leave.

The physical plant is falling towards dilapidated, in spite of the ongoing and considerable efforts to save it from showing its age. If you're looking for fancy, this is not your place. It feels more like a youth hostel than a boutique hotel, though it is very much the latter. If not for the great charm and personality of the place it would seem shockingly over-valued and under-appointed. Honestly, the room was a disaster of centuries of neglect, the bed and bedding ancient, the toilet and shower comic, the housekeeping sub-par, the food basic (though fresh, nutritious, caringly prepared and widely varied), the noise-proofing non-existent... and none of that mattered.

So if you can see past the superficial, are not hung up on conventional definitions of value and comfort, and want an experience of the Old City as authentic as it gets, this is for you. There could be no other place for us.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 20 March 2014

My thoughts are still in Jerusalem! So I would like to let the world know: Of course the location is absolutely fantastic! But much more important: The feelings you get in that old building you cannot describe. The owner, Mr. Dajani and his team make you feel home. “The new Imperial” you cannot compare to modern hotels! Just imagine: the structure of the building goes back to 1884. You can inhale the history of this wonderful place. Rooms are spacious, clean and (hint) will be renovated in the near future. The breakfast is good and offers a variety of local specialties. Internet is reinforced and wireless works just fine. Thank you so much to the management and the whole crew for the wonderful time and special moments in Jerusalem. Can’t wait to visit again!

Room Tip: Just call and say what is important to you!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Werner R
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We visited this place twice. First - in 2007, we arrived from the street, they had rooms and placed us in a fantastic family room with a view on the Old City (amazing, especially on Saturdays). We came back in 2013 and booked the same room. It was more expensive this time but I think, that Israel itself became more expensive, besides - they gave us a discount for returning guests. Owner is Palestinian, very friendly and helpful, his daughter and son are beginning to run the business. The breakfast is amazing (wonderful hummus and hard ) although you have

Room Tip: Opt for a family room - very spacious, sunny, with magnificent view on Jaffa Gate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family