“Oh, how things have changed!”
Review of The 7 Arches Hotel

The 7 Arches Hotel
Ranked #71 of 102 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I visited 7 Arches two years ago and wrote a glowing review on Trip Advisor. I could not wait to return! I remember a hotel that had classic furnishings, clean, comfortable, with friendly staff. What I returned to... well... let me now list it.

Pros:
-The food is amazing! Well, the dinners truly are. Itzhak and the dining room staff are fantastic! The chef is top notch!
-The staff are quick to answer questions and they show dedication to their jobs and maintenance staff truly keep the facility clean. Even though they did not have enough people to open up a breakfast buffet, the staff did create a small breakfast cart for my husband and I that was thoughtful.
-The location is just stunning and the views are truly postcard worthy.

Cons:
-What was once considered classic is now considered dated... as in truly outdated. The radio in the room doesn't even work as is built into the side of the bedside table with dials and such. The room furnishings are worn.
-Heat... as in turning on the heat. A space heater was provided for us upon request when our room was cold enough to keep the beverages we brought with us cold enough to not use the fridge. We spoke to other guests who also agreed that they did not have any heat either. They turned heat on in the restaurant only when people arrived. There was no heat in the general areas and we saw staff wearing winter coats while they worked.
-6 guests in the hotel.... no joke. A hotel with over 200 beds... had only 6 people. I wish they would have canceled our reservations for those two days. My husband and I did not feel safe, even though there was someone at the desk during the night, and we did have our door locks engaged. Plus, the lack of heat I'm sure was due to lack of guests... and we felt like they just wanted our money instead of providing basic services.
-No safe in the room
-TV channels are CNN only, if you speak English
-New pillows are needed! I'm going to try and post pictures of the four pillows we were given... all with horrible stains. We got scared to look at the mattress as we did not discover this until the second day... we just couldn't do it.
-Taxis no longer line up outside the facility... they know no one comes here. You have to walk to the bottom of the hill.
-No elevator... none for getting luggage up the entry stairs. My husband and I are of good health and did it without problem. For those with mobility issues... it would not be so easy.

I can no longer recommend this hotel. At $150 a night, we feel we were overcharged, especially compared with the Dan Hotel Chain facilities charging the same prices as 7 Arches. Many of my taxi drivers commented how this hotel used to be the jewel of Israel but how neglect from the owners has let the jewel become faded and decrepit. My husband commented that with a small investment toward basic facilities upgrades, this hotel could once again shine. If it wasn't for the devoted and dynamic staff of this facility, the 7 Arches would be lost. If it wasn't for the same devoted and wonderful staff, my husband and I would have left immediately. Hopefully, the owners of this facility will realize the amazing location as well as the staff they have deserve the investment of time and money to return this hotel to its past glory.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tiffofirechick

Reviewed 16 November 2011

My wife and I (with others) booked a low cost package at this hotel (half board). Having read some of the reviews we arrived with some trepidation as to what we would discover, but admit to being pleasantly surprised by what we found. The hotel's location on the summit of the Mount of Olives provides it with outstanding views of the Old City that can not be beaten. Indeed hundreds (possibly thousands) of tourists a day will visit the viewing platform outside the hotel for a sight of the Old City that we had the privilege of seeing whilst eating our meals for a whole week. On a daily basis we walked down to the Old City and back up again in the evening - which is quite a treck in the heat.
The hotel itself is a little 'tired' but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were spacious, twin bedded and clean with towels changed daily. No bedroom safe, but safe deposit facilities were available at the reception. The television had no channels with news in English, although english films were being shown. Free WiFi was available in the reception area. There are no lifts so stairs needed to be negotiated as there were few if any staff to help with cases. On the day we left the staff were willing to securely store our baggage between checking out and waitinf for an evening flight home.
The hotel is popular with large groups of tourists who are passing through Jeruslaem for just one or two night stops and hence a very transient population. Prices in the little hotel shop are very high, but a walk of just a hundred metres or so will afford access to local shops that are much much cheaper.
The food was plentiful and all self serve style. Breakfasts had choices of cereal, vegetables, bead rolls and some cheeses with hot selections of eggs, sausages, pastries and crouisents. Evening meals included soup, salad bar and a choice of three to four hot dishes, with variety of sweets. Note that this hotel is in Palestinian East Jerusalem and hence the food is not kosher.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank PS1472
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I was booked in here by Beinharim Tourist Services as their usual location - Grand Hotel - was fully booked. OK I understand - I booked at the last minute. Beinharim advertises that the hotels it uses are all 3 star or better. Beinharim - I am looking for a refund.

3 star hotels have operating air conditioning especially during an Israeli heatwave with temperatures reaching over 30c. 7 Arches air conditioning was not working - at least if it was it wasn't noticeable.

Would also reasonably have expected a three star hotel to have a swimming pool which this one does not.

The hotel is a flash back to the sixties in its decor, furnishings and bathroom fixtures. It is shabby, does not appear to be cared for and the fact that my supposedly clean bathroom had someone else's hairs scattered in it when I arrived (ugh) shows the level of cleanliness.

The hotel has a sort of central core with three levels of corridors on each side where the rooms are. No elevator - definitely not the place for anyone with walking difficulties, especially as no offer was made to assist with my bag - had to carry it myself. Other observations:

Room service dishes left in corridor for the entire 14 hours I was in the hotel.

Absolutely no literature in the room describing amenities of hotel - guess there really aren't any.

Very poor TV service and no radio reception.

Almost total indifference from members of staff. Then I did pick up a rumour that the hotel has been sold and that they are all going to lose their jobs soon so why should they bother.

This hotel is Arab Israeli owned and is not kosher. Didn't bother me. However, I would have thought that this should have been pointed out ahead of time by the tour company in the event that I was Jewish and would only eat kosher. A visitor to Jerusalem could reasonably expect kosher food to be served in their hotel.

On person with pride in their job - the chef - dinner was very good and should be for $25.00. Want a glass of wine with dinner - forget it not available. How about a beer - Israeli beer and imported beer was listed on the menu. Only the Israeli brand available - no choice.

Room Tip: Don't even bother.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank TriciaW66
svnarch, General Manager at The 7 Arches Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2011

I read your review with great concern. I am sorry to read that you were unhappy with our services, and wish to apologize for the inconvenience caused.
Please be assured that we take guest reviews seriously and corrective action will be taken. The point of hotel being sold is not a true statement.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

I had the joy of staying 3 nights at the 7 Arches Hotel and will be staying there again soon. This hotel is a hidden gem in the City and when other tourists take buses up to your hotel in order to take pictures of the view you wake up to every morning... you have a winner!

I found the staff to be helpful, especially with local taxi information and the internet situation. The breakfast buffet was simple fare, done very well. Yes, the rooms are dated and the hotel TV channels aren't that great... but it is clean and spacious. room service was actually reasonably priced and the food was great! If you are looking for snacks and beverages, just past the Church of the Ascension, or about a 5 minute walk, there was a small store that sold such things.

You are a stones throw from the Church of the Ascension, a quick walk to the Garden of Gethsemane and the Tomb of the Virgin Mary, and with a few more minutes walk... you enter the gates of the Old City. WOW!! Do what I did... walk down hill and then once you are done in the Old City... take the taxi back to the hotel. Be careful of the unlicensed taxis that are in front of the hotel. They mix in with the official ones and you won't know until you are in one unless you ask. From the hotel, it is easy to arrange a trip to Bethlehem for a few hours... it's all about the money. Many drivers preferred dollars or dinars instead of the local currency.

For the other reviewer who mentioned the $1 a minute charge for calls... he was right! However, you can receive calls for free, so have your folks at home get an international calling package... and call you right back!

This hotel is the secret of Jerusalem... and rightly so!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Tiffofirechick
Reviewed 26 May 2011

We recently stayed here for 3 nights and the first thing that strikes you is the amazing view. The hotel is on top of the Mount of Olives and holds a very prominent position frmo where you can see the whole Al Aqsa compound including Masjidul Aqsa and the Dome of The Rock. Even from the dining hall, you have these amazing views.

The rooms were clean and satisfactory. The breakfast was ok and so was the evening buffet. The only 2 things that were a problem was the lack of a lift for the elderley and the behaviour of some of the staff, especially the front desk staff. We will not let this however be a reason for us to not go back there.

You can walk to the Al Aqsa Masjid from there in about 20 minutes. We ended up going down the wrong way so i think it would be good if i put the route here. From the hotel exit follow the road to the right until you see a set of stairs heading down to a small lane. Do not go to the viewpoint as we did, but go further right. Follow the lane down past the churches until you get to the Main Road. Follow the Main road ahead of you bearing right and up and head towards the old walls. The next left turning will be a small lane going into the compound and onto the Lions Gate. Once you have entered the Lions gate, enter the old city and use any of the gates on the left to enter the Al Aqsa compound. If you get lost ask, the people will be more then happy to help you.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ibster
svnarch, Manager at The 7 Arches Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2011

I am glad to read your review of the Seven Arches Jerusalem and your satisfaction with the Hotel except for the behavior of the Front Desk Staff for which I am writing this note to apologize. There is no reason why guests should not be treated in a nice friendly way. I wish that this would not be a reason not to recommend the Seven Arches to others.

Sincerely Yours

Awni Inshewat General Manager

Reviewed 15 May 2011

This was a good hotel located on top of Mount of Olives surrounded by an ancient Jewish Cemetery.

When we got to the hotel, the views were breathtaking. We could see old Jerusalem from our high location with Masjid-ul-Aqsa Sanctuary and Dome of The Rock dominating the skyline.

The dining area was large and spacious with large windows facing the panoramic views of the old city.

Most of the reception and dining staff were polite and the hotel had a relaxed atmosphere.

Food was delicious; the only disappointment was the buffet service closing around us without notice while we were still eating!

The hotel does not have lifts, you have to navigate stairs with your luggage to the reception and then onto the hotel rooms.

This didn’t put me off, I would stay here again, very peaceful and the views and location make the stay worthwhile.

Jerusalem is an ancient place with a very rich history and you fall in love with the place immediately. You can read my personal account on http://muslimspirit.wordpress.com/2011/05/14/palestine-the-holy-land/

• Stayed: April 2011
4  Thank Sif_d
Reviewed 1 March 2011

good hotel with good standart. There were beautiful view on Jerusalem from the hotel. Meals were very delicious. I was at the end of january and there was a little cold, however it wasn't a problem.
worth for stay!