“Great location, excellent food”

Dan Boutique Jerusalem
Ranked #16 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Washington, DC
“Great location, excellent food”
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Located within walking distance from the Old City, the hotel is an excellent place from which to access most of the major sites of interest in Jerusalem. The hotel's restaurant buffet is excellent, with a wide variety of delicious food (the breakfast is especially good). There is a full-service bar open late, which also serves good food and is a nice place for relaxing in the evening (it's located next to a pool table and a lounge with several tvs). Overall a very clean, comfortable and enjoyable hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ElaineWashington_DC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
  • Hebrew first
Colorado
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and I must say this was the worst stay I have endured in memory that I paid decent money for accommodations. There were so many issues that I cannot begin to list them all but I will touch on a few.
Very very poor front desk service/help, numerous problems with the antiquated room, i.e. no heat (there were some unseasonably cold nights..I was told the hotel turned the heat off for the warm season) , no clock, no mirror in the living area (very small mirror in bathroom), no iron or ironing board (I was told I had to go on room 201 and use the hotels ironing board), very small bathroom with 3/4 of a shower curtain (shower in the bathtub), dirty/smelly hall carpets on my floor, the worst bar restaurant ever!!!! No concierge (When I asked for restaurant recommendations, I was given a travel guide). Twice I had problems with the overpriced internet, when I complained the hotel had me talk to the ISP company directly instead of handling the problem themselves. Lastly I disputed some charges on my bill during checkout, it was a waste of breath.

The ONLY good thing I can say is the breakfast manager was outstanding. Breakfast was served everyday in the main restaurant and was the some what typical Middle Eastern Cuisine of, fruits, salads, pastries/bread, eggs, fish (no meat). The breakfast manager greeted me morning with a smile and always was attentive on making sure I was happy with the food and service. Again the only bright spot.

I could write a short novel on my disappointing stay at the Dan Boutique. I have read other peoples reviews, and either my expectations are too high or theirs are too low. I highly discourage stay at the Dan Boutique.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Boutique Jerusalem, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
Dear Guest,

We were sorry to read your impressions of our hotel and not to be able to meet your expectations. We thank you for bringing your remarks up, since our guests' comments are important to us to study, evaluate and improveour guest service.
We would like to comment on your remarks.

The air-condition systems in all hotels of our standard in Jerusalem operate on either heating or cooling. The weather at this time of the year is usually hot during the day and rarely cold during the night.
Hotels in Jerusalem do not have irons in the rooms. Thus, we have an ironing room for the use of our guests.

We charge for internet access, as do many hotels around the world.

We will take specific care to correct the other areas you mentioned and hope that you will try us again on your next visit to Jerusalem to witness the improvement
Oahu, Hawaii
Reviewed 9 May 2010

I liked the hotel. Got a room with a small view of the Old City. But what really stood out was the food. It was incredible. Especially thought the staff was helpful. The attended to our every need. The idea was to go sample the food of Jerusalem. But the truth was that we wanted to keep coming back to eat at our hotel. Even if I didn't stay there again, I do think I'd come back for a dinner or two.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 8 May 2010

For $450 a night, a suite is not a bad thing in Jerusalem. It would cost 3x as much at the King David 10 minutes walk up the road. I never saw the old Ariel hotel so I only know what I saw; the renovation was perfectly fine. The old city view from the sundeck is great; from the rooms it is OK. Gym is barely adequate. Breakfast wasn't bad but nothing to write home about. Service was generally friendly but not necessarily useful; one day they missed my wake-up call and the request to get a Herald Tribune newspaper wasn't honored the next morning even though I was told it would be the night before. The suite itself was pretty good use of limited space although I would have preferred a standing shower in a suite instead of a shower inside a bathtub; I liked the decorating and the general concept of the hotel. TV channel availability is very good with lots of international selections. My biggest problem here was the location; you have to call for taxis and then because of the traffic patterns you often have to go around in a circle in the taxi before you get in the direction of the place you want to go. This can be rather annoying and adds a few minutes to just about any journey. It's not really walking distance to city center. But if you want a suite at a decent price, this is the trade-off. Personally, a Mamila Suite at the newly built Mamila Hotel would cost a bit more than a suite here but it would be in a top-flight hotel and much more convenient. Probably a better play overall as a tourist although this hotel was 15 minutes walk from my company's Jerusalem office in the Emek Refaim (German colony) neighborhood and convenient for that purpose.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Boutique Jerusalem, responded to this review, 12 December 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and writing in details about your experience in Jerusalem.

We were glad to read that you liked the hotel decoration, friendly service, the hotel rates, and location.

Your comments are appreciated. We will take them into consideration and will review our service.

Oxted, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2010

Emails to the hotel before arrival were slow in getting a response. When we arrived, the rooms were set up as doubles and not twin rooms. However, the house keeping team soon changed everthing around for us and all was well! They were very efficient.
The rooms are good and clean, the food was plentiful and well presented.
We were able to park the mini bus at the hotel,safely and easily. Walking distance to the Jaffa Gate for those who were fit and walk up hill!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Boutique Jerusalem, responded to this review, 16 May 2010
Dear TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for bringing your comments to our attention through the TripAdvisor, as we always appreciate our guests ideas and thoughts and we are learning from them and improving our services.

We are pleased that our staff was quickly and efficiently reorganized the room to your satisfaction and that you were enjoying your stay with us.

We realize that you a response to your e-mail was slow. However, we are usually doing our best to respond immediately to our e-mail. But occasionally accurate response requires some verifying, which take some time.

Best Regards,
The Hotel Management
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 May 2010

This is a very nice hotel. I think it was a reasonably good value, considering the price of Jerusalem hotels. It's also pretty well located and has parking.
The decor is lovely. There is a very nice lobby and bar area with a pool table. We had a beautiful superior room and it was very large with a deck type balcony in a gardenish area. They sort of made up the sofa for our daughter. She was fine. The bathroom was OK. The showerhead was very good but the curtain wasn't large enough. This is actually a problem in almost all Israeli hotels, but it bugged me more in this hotel than in others.
So, taking into account that this hotel is really lovely, well located, and clean, I am going to do a little bit of complaining.
First, the front desk was not frienly. They just weren't. I don't think they were trying to be rude but I just don't think that being very helpful is their thing. I needed directions somewhere and it was like pulling teeth to get the lady there to look them up online and print them out. Really, the only thing I need from them were occassional directions, and I just never felt like they actually cared if I found my way or not.
The buffet breakfast had lots, and lots of food, but the salads were poorly seasoned and oily. The bread was OK but not great. They had some nice cheeses, fruit, desserts, but in comparison to the smaller hotels we stayed in with smaller buffets, the food was just not as good. It was fine, just nothing to write home about.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
DanHotelsIsrael, Guest Relations Manager at Dan Boutique Jerusalem, responded to this review, 10 May 2010
Dear Dan Boutique Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel.

We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed the warm and intimate atmosphere of our modern designed lobby bar and pool table and we thank you for your kind words regarding our boutique hotel and the nice décor.

Our guest comments are very important to us as they help us in our effort to constantly improve ourselves in order to provide our guests with the best possible service.
Therefore, your remarks regarding the front desk staff and the food are going to be addressed and resolved by our team of managers.

Best Regards,
The Hotel Management
Indianapolis
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I expected more out of this hotel. The pluses were an absolutely great breakfast and a beautiful sun deck. The minuses were that my hotel room smelled like animals had wet the carpet, and that hotel staff had tried to cover up the smell with lots of heavy spray. Additionally, I wanted to take city buses to and from the hotel to the Old City, a mere five minutes away. The staff was unfriendly, possibly because mostly Palestinians ride these buses and they did not know anything about them, but I had better luck asking a taxi driver who let a passenger off at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
DanHotelsIsrael, Internet representative at Dan Boutique Jerusalem, responded to this review, 3 May 2010
Dear Dan Boutique Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review in the Tripadvisor.

Your kind words regarding the great breakfast and the beautiful sun deck with its panoramic view are greatly appreciated.

However, we were sorry to read that we did not meet your expectations of the hotel.

We welcome our guests' comments, as they assist us improving our service. Your remark regarding the room was forwarded to the housekeeping manager to evaluate our procedures.

The buses you are referring to are not officially organized bus line, therefore we can not recommend them to our guests.