“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #16 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

This small and very comfortable hotel is well located and comfortable. Some rooms (the one I was in) looked onto the Old City and it was an inspiring view both in the morning as the sun rose and in the evening.
The Breakfase and dinner meals were superb - tremendous choice and very good. The dining room service was very friendly and warm; we especially appreciated the graciousness of the dining room manager Yousef who catered to the many particular food requests of the group.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Hebrew first
Belgorod, Russia
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I had an entirely positive experience at this hotel and would think of staying nowhere else if I ever were to return to Jerusalem again. That I was upgraded to a suite from an Old City view room was a pleasant surprise, but in no way was this the sole reason for my satisfaction. The breakfast buffet is wonderful, lacking only good, fresh-squeezed juice, and is overseen by a friendly, helpful maitre d. Friendly and helpful describes the staff on the whole; I've never stayed at a hotel where I've been met by three staff members who've gone out of their way to help me or make my stay more pleasant. The location is perfect: a short walk to the Old City, and if you have an Old City view room, you're opposite the street and enjoy a perfectly peaceful sleep. Also nearby is the German Colony, home to wonderful cafes and restaurants. There were a few things not to like about my stay at this hotel. House-keeping never left a bar of soap in my suite's second bathroom; and rather than providing an iron and an ironing board for each room, the hotel has a single ironing room -- with a short iron and an iron on a timer -- on the 2nd floor. But to even mention this is to search for something to say in the negative. I recommend this hotel more than any other hotel in which I've stayed.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 May 2010

The hotel is within walking distance of the Old City and the German Colony. Clean rooms, designed in a special way. The reception staff was very helpful when we needed guidance on how to get to our family who lives far away and made sure to arrange transportation for us. A great bar atmosphere, one of the evenings there was live Jazz music being played at the bar, which by the way has a cool pool table.
We were at the hotel for a week and felt that everyone went out of their way to make us feel comfortable. I definitely recommend this hotel and will choose the Dan Boutique hotel again on my next visit to Jerusalem.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SingaporeCity
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 May 2010

This is a terrific boutique hotel, beautifully renovated, clean and very well located.The staff are very pleasant and try hard to please. The dining room is well organized, the food excellent and there is plenty of choice. The dining staff are all very helpful and the manager Yousef goes out of his way to provide extra special service. The hotel was a home away from home and on a number of evenings we chose to eat there, rather than go out because of the pleasant atmosphere and excellent food.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Geneva
Reviewed 20 May 2010

This hotel could have been (should be?) included in the Relais Chateaux hotels. Its location, general quality and simple "pleasantness" are equivalent to best small, elegant hotels of Europe. Unusualy pleasant service levels for an Israeli hotel.
We were simply delighted. The food does leave some to be desired. But served with a smile, compensating the otherwise banal choices.

We will be returning!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 13 May 2010

Located within walking distance from the Old City, the hotel is an excellent place from which to access most of the major sites of interest in Jerusalem. The hotel's restaurant buffet is excellent, with a wide variety of delicious food (the breakfast is especially good). There is a full-service bar open late, which also serves good food and is a nice place for relaxing in the evening (it's located next to a pool table and a lounge with several tvs). Overall a very clean, comfortable and enjoyable hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ElaineWashington_DC
Colorado
Reviewed 10 May 2010

I have stayed in many hotels around the world and I must say this was the worst stay I have endured in memory that I paid decent money for accommodations. There were so many issues that I cannot begin to list them all but I will touch on a few.
Very very poor front desk service/help, numerous problems with the antiquated room, i.e. no heat (there were some unseasonably cold nights..I was told the hotel turned the heat off for the warm season) , no clock, no mirror in the living area (very small mirror in bathroom), no iron or ironing board (I was told I had to go on room 201 and use the hotels ironing board), very small bathroom with 3/4 of a shower curtain (shower in the bathtub), dirty/smelly hall carpets on my floor, the worst bar restaurant ever!!!! No concierge (When I asked for restaurant recommendations, I was given a travel guide). Twice I had problems with the overpriced internet, when I complained the hotel had me talk to the ISP company directly instead of handling the problem themselves. Lastly I disputed some charges on my bill during checkout, it was a waste of breath.

The ONLY good thing I can say is the breakfast manager was outstanding. Breakfast was served everyday in the main restaurant and was the some what typical Middle Eastern Cuisine of, fruits, salads, pastries/bread, eggs, fish (no meat). The breakfast manager greeted me morning with a smile and always was attentive on making sure I was happy with the food and service. Again the only bright spot.

I could write a short novel on my disappointing stay at the Dan Boutique. I have read other peoples reviews, and either my expectations are too high or theirs are too low. I highly discourage stay at the Dan Boutique.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Boutique Jerusalem, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
Dear Guest,

We were sorry to read your impressions of our hotel and not to be able to meet your expectations. We thank you for bringing your remarks up, since our guests' comments are important to us to study, evaluate and improveour guest service.
We would like to comment on your remarks.

The air-condition systems in all hotels of our standard in Jerusalem operate on either heating or cooling. The weather at this time of the year is usually hot during the day and rarely cold during the night.
Hotels in Jerusalem do not have irons in the rooms. Thus, we have an ironing room for the use of our guests.

We charge for internet access, as do many hotels around the world.

We will take specific care to correct the other areas you mentioned and hope that you will try us again on your next visit to Jerusalem to witness the improvement
Best regards,