“Excellent choice for large families or extended stays”
Review of Lev Yerushalayim

Lev Yerushalayim
Ranked #56 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 19 August 2010

Lev Yerushalayim is a budget hotel smack in the middle of downtown Jerusalem, near the Ben Yehudah outdoor mall and within decent distance of Independence Park, the Old City, etc.

The hotel is all suites, and although the rooms are not luxurious, they are well-designed and clean. We were two couples and three children, and we occupied a two-bedroom suite, equipped with two double bedrooms (both carpeted, each with individual a/c controls and lots of cabinet space), plus a large tiled living/dining area equipped with a couch that converted into a double bed, plus a crib for our infant.

The kitchen (small-but-not-mini-fridge, microwave, sink) was clean; utensils could be rented at an extra cost. The new solid wood dining set could comfortably seat 6.

The price (not including breakfast) was under US$250, which is excellent for Jerusalem, particularly for so central a location.

Unlike most Israeli hotels, the price does not include breakfast (which makes sense since the suites come with kitchens). Breakfast offerings are adequate, although definitely less lavish that some of the fancier Israeli hotels. There are other breakfast options (Aroma, e.g.) in the immediate vicinity if you don't want to make your own.

The hotel also offers some advantages for observant Jews, including a kosher l'mehadrin standard, and metal keys rather than electronic card keys, which are problematic on Shabbat.

One drawback: Entrance to the hotel requires climbing stairs, which is somewhat inconvenient for those in a wheelchair or pushing a baby stroller. Oh, and no free wi-fi (a common problem with Israeli hotels).

Bottom line: A good budget option for large families or extended stays in the heart of downtown Jerusalem.

Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank IndigoGrrl

Reviewed 27 May 2010

Lev Yerushalayim is an all suites hotel.
This was great for us as we went with 2 toddlers and we had our own room, one for them and a lounge area all for the price of 1 room.

Location is also great downtown. When you first arrive, if you have suitcases make sure you get the taxi to drop you at the entrance on the road 'Mordehai Aliash' and not King George, otherwise you will have a LOT of stairs to climb.

My only complaint was that when the cleaners came and removed our towels they never replace them. This happened every day

Recommended

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank paulisfit
Reviewed 27 December 2009

an excellent place to be in closed to every thing Ben Yehuda Old city Mahaneh Yehuda.
nice people helpfull staff

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 December 2009

We stayed there and had a fine time. Kids loved being right in the heart of the city, right downtown. Plenty of space and we loved having a fridge and micro-wave. We spoke with Stuart and saved a whole lot by getting the room from a private person. Great Deal!!! Not the Ritz, but worked for us just fine.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank scottie1948
Reviewed 14 November 2009

I have considerable experience as a 'budget' traveller but this hotel did not meet even my minimum standards. As a woman who travels on her own a lot, security is very important to me. This was the biggest issue with this hotel - and believe me, there were plenty of issues. On three separate occasions during my week stay, the cleaning staff left my door open. I don't mean that they closed it and didn't lock it....they actually left the door ajar all day. The first time I complained I spoke to the 'security manager'. His reason was that some doors are hard to close and the staff have to pull them really hard to ensure they close properly. I was pleasant enough and was assured it wouldn't happen again. The next day it did, I was not so pleasant that time when speaking with the manager and the third time I was just plain mad! Luckily I don't have much of value and always carry my passport with me but the fact that the hotel didn't care was enough to suggest that you are not safe staying here. I paid a hotel cleaning staff to actually ensure my door was closed after the 3rd time. How ridiculous is that! The room was not at all as represented and all the comments from others regarding cleanliness, ease of access (the Shabbat elevators were broken while I was there) and the service are all true.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank anmejoshme
Reviewed 9 October 2009

When entering the lobby we thought we were in a 4 star hotel, but when we went to our room, which was supposedly a two bedroom big enough for a family of 5, we felt like we were in a 1 star hotel. When opening the pull out coach, we discovered that one could not get by to go to the "kitchen". What they called a kitchen was nothing more than a sink with some cabinets. There was limited space for our clothing. The hotel staff was lazy and unhelpful. I asked for something to heat up water. After waiting hours, I had to ask again. When making the reservation, I was told to ask for late check out when I checked in. When we checked in and I asked, I was told they had to check with the manager. Each morning I asked if they have checked yet. Each morning I got another excuse. Finally I had to ask for the manager and was able to get late check out. I had book the new upgraded two bedroom. If the room I had was upgraded, I would hate to see the old room. The room was dirty and as I said, had no room to walk. We had to climb over the pull out coach to get to the door, "kitchen", or bathroom. You get what you pay for. We paid less than $300 a night for this room, which wasn't even worth what we paid.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank gotitans
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I have stayed at Lev Yerushalayim on two visits to Jerusalem. I love the location, right across the street from the Ben Yehuda mall and walking distance to the Old City, Mea Shearim, Mahane Yehuda Market and other Jerusalem attractions.

My only complaint is that the two flights of steps to reach the lobby from King George Street is difficult for a disabled person. The air conditioner did not work to full efficiency,

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business