“Tourist trap with no service” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Olive Tree Hotel

Olive Tree Hotel
Ranked #19 of 97 Hotels in Jerusalem
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Tourist trap with no service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2008

The Olive tree is just outside the old city walls (Damascus gate) - 10 min walking.
1) The rooms are clean, which was good.
2) The hotel is a typical tourist trap - huge, unfriendly and offers no service. (Best example: I wanted to order from the room service and called them - they requested me to come down, pick up the mune and then walk up to my room again and order!) I guess they are specialized in older couples and groups who do not complain when they are treated like mass tourists.
3) Do not stay there as a single woman as you have to go through the Damascus Gate, which is in the muslim quarter - very unpleasant experiance.
4) The area of the hotel offers no restaurants or supermarkets - I took refuge in the nearby American Colony Hotel restaurant ever ynicht, as the food in the Olive Tree is poor.

Would I stay there again? NO!

• Liked — It was clean.
  • Disliked — No service and unfriendly staff.
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank mynewalias

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2008

I stayed in the Olive Tree Hotel for three nights as part of a tour.

It is difficult to fault the Olive Tree in terms of comfort and service.
The main problem, however, is that there are no non-hotel restaurants or shops nearby. It is part of a block of large modern hotels (Grand Court, Moriah), which would seem more.
in place in Jewish West Jerusalem. The Addar and American Colony Hotels, although nearby, seem like a world away.

One nice touch is that the Olive Tree provides freshly squeezed orange juice for incoming tour groups.

Israeli breakfasts were generally very good. However, the wait staff was constantly trying to seat me with my group even if I preferred to be alone.

While I was there, dining options in the evening seemed limited to a so-so buffet (at $31 per person), or a bar with a limited menu of sandwiches or salads. If you want a greater choice, it is a twenty minute walk to Jerusalem Center, or a relatively inexpensive cab ride.

If I have one recommendation to make if you are staying in this area, it is to check out the gift shop in the Grand Court Hotel for lovely and reasonbly priced gifts and souvenirs (a rarity for Israeli hotels). Also, the Grand Court has an ATM, which is handy in this part of the city.

When I return to Jerusalem, I will stay in the Western part of the city.

• Liked — Comfort and quality
  • Disliked — location
  • Stayed March 2008
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Enable
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2008

Many memories were created in the Olive Tree Hotel in Jerusalem. The group I was with had a fantastic stay, and the staff was excellent. I also thought the hotel itself was very well designed, and the food and drinks in the restaurant were some of the best I had in Israel. Our room actually had a view of the lobby area, so if you're looking for spectacular views, you may want to stay somewhere else. I could care less, so I was quite pleased.

• Liked — The food and the lobby bar
  • Disliked — Prices of nearby gift shops
  • Stayed May 2006
Kishinev, Moldova
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2008

I’ve stayed at the Olive with my family and except for the legend of the tree have encountered a very welcoming staff. The bartender and the reception attendee named Shalom (Peace in Hebrew) deserve special recommendations!!! The rooms are ok but the balcony made it amazing, children were in the next room and so we all had our space. I can’t say much about the food as we had only breakfast due to our tight schedule with the tours my wife planed, but be sure that their breakfast is like a full meal.

• Liked — The Staff
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2008

Our tour group stayed here just last week and we all had a very nice experience. The hotel is centrally located, the wait staff is courteous, front desk staff were mostly helpful, the food was plentiful and of good variety. Our rooms were nice sized and clean with plenty of blankets, pillows, towels, etc... The gift shops had prices comperable or less than many shops in town. The bar was pretty expensive, but they all are. All in all, I'd stay at the Olive Tree any day.

Stayed January 2008
2 Thank smilydi
Moscow
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2007

After staying in Olive for the last four visits to Jerusalem I can just say that I hope they'll have vacancy for my next trip. The rooms are comfortable with very efficient cleaning staff. Israeli breakfast is like a meal for whole day especially when it is a buffet. The location was perfect for me, not far from the old city and just a few minutes drive from their city centre. In general I can say that every dollar I left at this hotel was worth it.

Stayed November 2007
2 Thank jromi
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2007

Some colleagues and I visited over a busy holiday weekend which meant we were paying full price for our rooms -- $220 for two tiny twin beds in a mediocre room with none of the amenities you expect in a room at that price. No mini bar, no view, boring decorations.

The lobby is pretty nice, and overall it's maybe a 3 star hotel. Not worth more than $100 per night, however.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business