St. Andrew's Scots House Hotel
Mount Zion Hotel(Jerusalem)
Windmill Hotel(Jerusalem)
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsscottish guesthousegerman colonyjaffa gateold cityunique accommodationgreat locationshared balconyno elevatorstation areatrain stationwalking distancemt ziona wonderful place to staystayed here for nightsemek refaimisrael museumrooms are small
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2014

The best feature of St. Andrew's Scottish Guesthouse is its location. One can leave the car in the lot and walk into old town Jerusalem.
We walked down into the valley then climbed the walk to the Jaffa Gate, but it would be much easier to walk through the park to the western side of the city and then to the Jaffa gate. No hills that way.

When we made the reservation, we could only have the Old City view for 2 nights. The third night had the garden view. There was a $10.00 difference in price. In my opinion, it is well worth the $10.00 for the upgraded room.

Our room had a lovely view of the old city. We had to walk up to the third level, but the man at the desk was happy to carry my luggage up for me.

Breakfasts were ample, with fresh fruit, pastries on some days, yogurt, eggs, and various hot foods to eat as well as cheeses. One could make fresh orange juice in a machine which was delightful.

Regarding the rooms:
there is no television, but I do believe that you could watch one downstairs in the library or the very large lounge. This was not an issue for us as we do not watch television, and the lack of it made the room much quieter.
No clocks.

The towels were large but not very absorbent. Our 3rd night, in the cheaper room, found us short many towels which we did not notice until the next morning….after I had already showered and needed to dry off.
No washcloths, which is fairly typical. Be sure to pack your own if you use them.

Shampoo and body wash come in foil packets. Very cumbersome to use. I was happy to have my own to use, as these hardly seemed worth the bother.

A hair dryer was in the room.
A large armor held a safe, but it was not bolted down.
There was a hostess tray with tea and coffee, and coffee available down in the lobby as well.

There was free wi-fi which worked fairly well.

The staff spoke English.
A refrigerator in the office held bottled water and beer, which you could purchase at a reasonable price from the attendant.
Parking in the lot was free.

I'm going to be quite honest here and mention that there was mildew in the bathroom, but nothing overwhelming. Let's face it….mildew happens, and it's not always easy to keep up on it.

But, in the cheaper room, I set an item down on the windowsill, and when I went to pick it up, it was covered with grime. Obviously, someone missed cleaning the room.

There was some confusion the day of our room switch. We had finished eating breakfast, and I went back up to the original room to retrieve some medication only to find that the key no longer worked. It was nowhere near check out time yet.
It took us several minutes to resolve the situation and to get the key working again.

When we returned from our adventure of the day, our luggage had been moved to the new room.

That room had a serious mildew problem in the bathroom in comparison with the first.
I only mention this because I cannot warrant giving the place a 5 star review with mildew in the bathrooms.

I'd like to mention that the 4 star rating is due to the price in respect to location to the old city. It really is the most reasonably priced hotel with a lovely view of the city and within easy walking distance.

Personally, I feel that it is worth looking past the mildew for the convenience, price and fabulous breakfast.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $10.00 for the old city view. It is quieter and we found our room to be larger.
3  Thank geismom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed a week at St Andrews Scottish Guest House and were very satisfied with our accommodation. Though the room was simple and unadorned it was very comfortable. Breakfasts were excellent and the staff attentive and friendly at all times. The location is perfect with tremendous views of the Old City. The Guest House is around ten minutes walk through delightful gardens at Yemin Moshe to Jaffa Gate.

1  Thank 31James
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Stayed 3 nights at the Guest House and enjoyed our stay very much. Rooms were very comfortable and ours was spacious. Breakfast was huge with many choices. This is a quiet, very relaxed place which was very welcome after long days of touring. A great place to relax and reflect on the day's activities and sites.

Great location within walking distance of Old City with a few very good restaurants nearby.

Staff was very helpful and hospitable.

One more thing ... A fantastic panoramic view of the Old City.

Room Tip: All the rooms are good.
1  Thank Peter651954
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

We had a beautiful view of the Old City. Excellent breakfast & great sitting area for visiting after breakfast or late night There were 9 in our group.
We had a balcony and the window opened and we could walk out and see the City at night.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank yayagold
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We (family of four) stayed here for several days - first in a two room suite and then, a second time (after a visit to Petra!) in two separate rooms. All three rooms were clean and well serviced - plenty of towels, tea/coffee in-room, though I wish they would dispense with those sachets of shampoo and use small bottles instead, especially since it is not an inexpensive place (I hate sachets!). The guest house has several public areas - a nice Library with lots of books, a large lounge with a piano, a terrace that looks out to spectacular views of the old city, and a garden at the back. Breakfast is great - eggs made to order, coffee, tea, fresh juice, fruits, veggies, lots of good middle eastern stuff. The WiFi (free) at the hotel is slow and iffy but adequate.

The staff is friendly and helpful and more than willing to call and make reservations at nearby restaurants (particularly important on a Friday night!) or provide help with directions, sightseeing tips etc. The old city is a bit of schlep - a 20 minute up and down walk so coming back for an afternoon siesta is not an option if you have kids. There are plenty of good restaurants nearby, particularly in the old Jerusalem station (2 minute walk) . Free parking means that you can use a car to explore areas outside of Jerusalem using the hotel as a base.

Bottom line. Simple, clean, friendly, helpful, good breakfast, adequate WiFi, great views! Definitely worth 5 stars. Would I stay there again. Certainly!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony looking onto the old city.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family