“Unfortunately closed”

Ranked #26 of 301 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A hill in the eastern part of Old Jerusalem is of special significance to the world's three major religions. It was reputedly the site of the first and second Jewish Temple, and since the 7th century has contained two Muslim shrines.
Florianopolis, SC
176 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Unfortunately closed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

When I've been there was Friday and closed to non muslims. But we walked around there and I took some pictures. But for me is a ok place comparing another mosques I've in Iran for example.

1 Thank WilliamCGarcia

65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 102 helpful votes
“Iconic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Expect to wait if you want to go here, it opens at 730 am, closes at 1130 and then reopens 1230 until 1330. Access is via the Western wall ramp, wear sensible clothing ladies, otherwise you wont touch first base. It is a Muslim site and you cannot enter the Dome and Mosque if you are non Muslim. It is closed on Friday and Saturdays. Contrary to some reviews we didn't need passports to enter. We did see some provocation towards Jews in the area and there was a degree of hostility towards my partner as she walked through the Arab quarter on the way out, this was from the local children. It illustrates the tension which appears now and again and might explain the racks of riot shields kept by the entrance by the Israeli police. The architecture is amazing, the dome is surrounded by a large plaza so it seems quiet.

Visited June 2014
3 Thank keithydee
New Albany, Indiana
78 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 168 helpful votes
“Temple Mount, My Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

People seem to have wildly different experiences with this site but this is how ours went.
We went on May 21, 2014. The line starts at Mugrabi Gate (the only entrance available for anyone who is not Muslim) which is just inside Dung Gate and right next to security for entrance to the Western Wall there.
We got in line at 6:45 am as I had heard about how the line could be. My husband and I were the 4th and 5th persons in line however the person in front of us turned out to be a place holder for a small tour group of about 10 people. The line behind us quickly grew.
I thought we would be standing there until 8:30 as I had read that is what summer hours were, to my surprise, they started letting us in at 7:30 am.
We went through security without a problem. The girl in line in front of us had on a skirt that came to her knees. I could tell they were telling her that the skirt length was an issue. I am female and had read that dress should be modest. I did wear pants and a thin long sleeve shirt with a high v-neck (nothing close to cleavage being shown). They didn't say a word to me about my attire.
You also are not allowed to bring a bible or wear jewelry that would indicate your religion if not Muslim. You are also not allowed to pray or at least make gestures that would give the appearance of prayer in a non-Muslim way. Now I had my smart phone with me which happens to have the Bible app on it but I didn't get it out to read it.
We walked straight for the Dome of the Rock. The building is stunningly beautiful from the outside. We didn't have a guide or information that we brought with us. You of course can't go inside if you aren't Muslim for reasons I won't get into but they have nothing to do with religious prohibitions.
I spent my time taking pictures and walking around the Dome. We saw people coming and going and I saw some teenage Muslim girls studying by the Dome. Other people were taking their picture. I asked permission and they seem tickled that I wanted to photograph them. Then they wanted a picture with me. I enjoyed this moment.
We left after that.
I would rate this attraction higher if we were allowed to go inside the buildings.

2 Thank Martyk74
Geelong, Australia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Tension Everywhere!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I will preface this by saying we visited during one of the main days of Succot (Feast of Tabernacles) so being a Jewish festival, I am sure tensions were more than they normally would be. For us, entry required lining up for an hour, and you will not be allowed to carry a Bible with you & will have it confiscated when your bag is searched prior to entry - so this is a good day to leave it in the hotel room or on the bus (our tour guide lost his).

Entry is made by a temporary wooden ramp in place of the old stone ramp which collapsed & had to be removed for safety reasons. Large groups of riot police were on hand shields ready prepared to quickly quell any trouble that might start. Inside, very very little remains of anything at the time of Christ. A few column decorations are all that remains on display - everything else is much later Islamic construction.

Jews while being allowed onto the mount itself, are not allowed onto the platform immediately adjacent to the dome of the rock itself. I was able to walk right up to and touch the walls of the dome itself. However, while I am not a Jew, I look Jewish so on my second approach up a flight of stairs to gain photos from a different angle, some children took exception and I had to retreat. Neither of us understood each other's language, but I didn't want to start a riot.

One another occasion, I had some children taking photos of me (I don't mind) so I took it as an opportunity to take photos of them (fair's fair) and you'll see the sign they held up to me. While we watched, a group of Jews were escorted onto the mount and were subjected to jeers and chants from women who had gathered.

Of interest is the Mamaluke architecture found on the top of the western wall, of which there are a few pieces left in Jerusalem with their characteristic Egyptian feel. Considering the sacred nature of this site to Islam, I was a little surprised to see how poorly kept it was, with rubble strewn about over pavement in some areas. What really brought this home to me was the distinct contrast to the immaculate presentation of the grounds of mosques in Brunei which I visited on the way home after this visit.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank DuggysAdventures
Geneva, Switzerland
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“Worth visiting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

To visit, you need to cue the earliest possible. Indeed it is a sacrifice to cue and stand up for hours! we were lucky we dint have to cue. It is a beautiful place to visit, take your time to wonder around. A tour guide is a must for you to understand the area. if you are visiting on your own, please bring your passport as this is required. Descent clothes recommended, as we have seen women being rejected at the entrance after a long wait because of they were wearing!