“Pilgrimage”

Ranked #9 of 310 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Built in the fourth century over the site of a Roman Pagan temple, this is considered one of the world’s holiest shrines to Christians, preserving the most important moments of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My visit here is one of the high points of my life. I had the honor of celebrating mass in the tomb of the Holy Sepulchre (it is the little house in the interior of the Basilica) on the 15th anniversary of my priestly ordination. It is hard to get a reservation to celebrate mass there. I traveled to Israel in November. The weather was nice and there were no crowds at any of my destination. The Franciscan visitor center near the Jaffa gate provides information for Catholic Pilgrims. The Vatican runs a hotel for pilgrims nearby.

There are newer reviews for Church of the Holy Sepulchre

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I know that millions of devout worshipers have come to this church, and I don't want to knock their beliefs, but I'm not sure Jesus would approve of the way the place is so divided. Different sects have been given different areas to create their chapels and apparently they don't always get along. One group controls the "tomb", another controls the crucifixion site, the poor Ethopians and Copts had to build their little chapels on the roof because the others wouldn't let them have a place inside. It wasn't the spiritual experience I was expecting.

1  Thank ConnieH95
Reviewed 19 August 2014

we went in late afternoon so not that crowded and we are able to walk quite freely. we have a local tour guide that introduce the "key-holder" person who is a muslim. in there you can find all the different Christian/catholic/orthodox etc etc ... in their own praying corner/area.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

I went to Jerusalem, not as a pilgrim, but it had been somewhere I wanted to go to since I was 6 years old (and that's a very long time!).

The church is an amazing place but too crowded, the queues to get to some areas were horrendously long, so I didn't get to see everything and what I did see had restricted views. I guess its busy whatever time of year you, but I got very fed up with the crowds.

I gave it very good because it is a beautiful place, and I would not have wanted to miss it.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

I will agree with some of the other reviewers here that you need to visit at the beginning or end of the day. Otherwise, the crowds block the view of all that this church contains. You need to see it, but plan accordingly. I would also study what is in the church beforehand so you know what to try to see. it is a lot to take in during a quick, and crowded stay.