“Great for History buffs”

Tower of David Museum
Ranked #15 of 312 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in the restored ancient Citadel, this museum traces the long and turbulent history of Jerusalem using audiovisual presentations, models, maps, holograms and videos.
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Easy to follow the story of Jerusalem, with lots of written information and graphics. The way the museum is set out in separate sections allows you to think and take a break, so that all the information doesn't become too overwhelming. Add to this mix the physical site to explore and this museum is a winner. Views from the tower are fantastic. Good coffee too. The temporary Design exhibition was fantastic - not sure when it finishes.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

End of October turned out to be a good time to visit - comfortable temperature, no crowds and calm atmosphere. Either way, best to go without being in a rush so that you can reflect on the thousands of years of history. Exhibition spaces are well and clearly laid out.

1  Thank Squid397
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This museum is much larger than it used to be. Provides a lot of charts and tables to help the visitor understand the history of Jerusalem. When you go outside, you have stunning views of ancient walls, and beautiful views of Jerusalem.

2  Thank GofromCA
Reviewed 30 October 2013

My husband and I recently visited the museum and attended the light show. We thought that the museum was worthwhile. However, we did not particularly enjoy the light show. While the graphics were designed to impress, we found the story to be rather uninteresting. My husband loves history but did not like the presentation. I know that other contributors to this forum disagree, but I wanted to share a different viewpoint. This was my observation. At the end of the show, two people clapped. Although the theatre was filled to capacity, nobody else joined the applause.

1  Thank Debra26
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Spent 2.5 hours there and had a wonderful experience. Pat, a tour guide with over 20 years experience at the museum, gave us the full tour and a perfect illustration of Jerusalem's long and fascinating history. I would suggest doing this tour at the beginning of your trip because it truly puts all that you'll see in Jerusalem into context. I wish I'd been able to return for the light show, but my schedule wouldn't allow it.

1  Thank JulieTakesOnTheWorld