“An amazing building - which doesn't live up to its appearance”

Notre Dame Guest House
Ranked #17 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Cobham, United Kingdom
“An amazing building - which doesn't live up to its appearance”
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This castle like structure is vast and is in an incredibly convenient location - just opposite the New Gate to the Old City of Jerusalem. The Reception staff were pleasant enough - but not what iwe would have expected from the impression that the Centre was trying to give. (it is in fact known as the Notre Dame Centre - not Guest House... this latter name did not appear on any documents!) The entrance lobby is vast - it probably needs to be as the main purpose of the Centre was as a conference Centre or a stop off for Tours. Our room was more than adequate - It was very clean and neatly furnished - but there was absolutely no extras... No kettle, coffee, tea or TV. Although there was an in room safe. There was a luggage stand - which we placed my exceptionally heavy suitcase on - in an alcove of the window - out of the way ... as the room is very small. There following morning (Saturday) the maintenance men woke us up talking exceptionally loudly along the vast corridors which allowed the sound to resound. They were fitting boards with "stays" to the walls - which would hold the said luggage rack. We were quite angry when we came back to our room that evening to discovered that my suitcase had been deposited on the floor and the luggage rack moved to its new position - which, if it had remained there would have meant that my husband would have banged his leg on it whenever he tried to get out of bed! The breakfast was adequate - but not as good as many Israeli hotels provide. The breakfast room area is rather dark and dingy - despite having several windows. When one woman tried to eat in the more pleasant and bright room where the buffet was laid out - she was told to move! The staff in this dining room talked exceptionally loudly amongst themselves - which was unpleasant. When I tried to discover how much a local call would cost from the room telephone - I was told to call back in 15 minutes when someone would be available to tell me!!

On the plus side - as I said, the location was excellent. There is a delightful roof top bar which provides absolutely incredible views of the Old City of Jerusalem. It was also open on a Friday evening (being a Christian Centre) which was welcome, as many hotel bars in Jerusalem close on Friday night for the Sabbath. They also found a pair of trousers that I had left on the bed and posted these to me... However, they have sent them Parcel Force and they arrived in UK 2 days later - so I have no idea how much that is going to cost! - It looks like about £20 postage. I did just ask them to send them regular post as they were White linen - and we don't have much use for that in UK this summer!!! - I was, however, delighted that they had been found and handed in!

On the Con Side - There was adequate parking - but none on a level and it was therefore necessary for the driver (at least) to climb down a very steep hill to get the car - and again, to climb up after parking. There was only internet access in the Lobby and the Receptionist whom I spoke to when I called about my trousers told me that even the Front Desk didn't have internet access!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank felicityjg1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Hebrew first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Would recommend this wonderful place to anyone that is visiting Jerusalem. Food, staff, rooms
all was great., as good or better than any hotel we have ever stayed at. Very close to the old city. Mass in the Chapel everyday was wonderful. view from top over looking was a history lesson.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I recently stayed with my mum and we couldn't rate this place high enough for the service and attention of all the wonderful staff. They really added to the experience and enhanced our stay. The rooms were clean and the beds very comfortable with good buffet breakfast and dinner, if you choose. I had free wifi and from memory it worked well during my stay. There is a wine and cheese bar on the top floor with exquisite views. I did not eat up there but enjoyed some great wine and conversation. The location is right opposite the New Gate and around the corner from the tram stop and easy walk down to Jaffa Gate or Damascas Gate so a very good location overall. Accommodation in Israel can be expensive but when I weighed up the prices of others, I was pleasantly surprised by the rate we were offered for staying for 4 nights given the quality. I will definitely be back!
Colleen, Australia

• Stayed May 2013
London
Reviewed 25 May 2013

This is by far one the best hotels I have stayed in, in ages. Externally and internally are both aesthetically pleasing and welcoming. Staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. The décor complements the area and the atmosphere is one of calmness.

Meals are fresh and tasty with a broad selection to choose from.

The hotel is a stone throw from the New Gate, a short walk away from Damascus Gate and close to the Jaffa Gate as well - all access points for the Old City.

Rooms are simply decorated but incredibly comfortable. No TV or radio makes a nice change from the busy lives we lead in this technological age. Wi-Fi worked well.

I will definitely go back and confidently recommend it to travellers wanting to stay in and explore the Old City.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Wonderful location right outside the gate to the Christian quarter (in the old city) and the light rail of Jerusalem, rooms very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was fine and dinner was good. Amazing views from the roof-top restaurant/bar. I would go back on a repeat trip to Israel. No TV but wifi works fine in the rooms.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Wallingford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 May 2013

We stayed for 8 nights during our Christmas pilgrimage. The building itself was stunningly beautiful, adorned with lights and decorations on the neat and manicured property. Our rooms were extremely clean and comfortable, just 2 beds, nightstands and a large armoire. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and I am a fussy sleeper who usually travel with my own pillows!The bathroom had a glass shower with marble floors equally very very clean. I loved the absolute quietness of the hotel and the fact that there was no TV was an added bonus to reflect on your day in the Holy Land. I would be remiss if I didn't mention the food especially the breakfast of cheeses, olives, cured meats, eggs, fresh made breads, honey right from the honeycomb, pastries and fresh fruit like persimmons better than any usual "Israeli breakfast" offered in West Jerusalem hotels. On Christmas Eve morning we had a knock on our door and it was a gift of homemade baked cookies on a glass plate with a card from the Charge of the Holy See for the Pontifical Institute Notre Dame. the location of the hotel is literally across the street from the Old City's walls. Lastly, I highly recommend a visit to their Shroud of Turin exhibit given by one of the consecrated women- a life changing experience!

1 Thank Christine B
Menlo Park, CA
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This hotel has an excellent location just outside the Old City, and is convenient to the City Center area (with its markets, shops, and restaurants) and the new Light Rail system. Rooms are small but adequate; no TV. WiFi is available for a small additional charge and works well in the room. Our room (111) was one of a handful with access to the pleasant 2nd floor terrace. Breakfast is adequate. The hotel also has a small restaurant available for lunch, but you can do better elsewhere. This hotel caters to a lot of tour groups, so the lobby and breakfast room are often crowded. But the staff is friendly and efficient, so the crowds don't present a problem.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends