“Nice flair”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$93.00*
and up
Tastes of Old Town Jerusalem Small-Group Walking Tour Including Traditional...
Ranked #74 of 301 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Arab souk in the Muslim Quarter extends from Damascus Gate to the Via Dolorosa. Its many stalls sell spices, pastries, embroidered dresses, sheepskin coats, leather goods, antiquities and other handicrafts,
Jerusalem, Israel
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Nice flair”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

I like the flair of the Muslim quarter in Jerusalem.
During the day the shops are open and offer quite good prices.
I would go there in the evening.

Visited September 2012

45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“Interesting Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Going to this part of the old city is necessary to view part of the Via Dolorosa. It is crowded and noisy. Although I am sure the vendors would have taken our money they did not seem pleased to have us in their area. As a Christian tour group we experienced people spitting when we walked by and had some mothers turn their children where they would have their backs to us. We were not singing or expressing our faith in any way. We were simply walking through the area with our tour guide. I could have easily done without this part of the tour, but I know to some who want to see every "station of the cross" it will be a necessary journey. It was my least favorite part of the Holy Land Tour.

Visited June 2013
4 Thank hookedontrvl
Doha, Qatar
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“very cool!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2013

In my opinion, the Muslim Quarter is one of the coolest (if not the coolest) part of the Old City...its like one giant Souq (marketplace) and its really neat and has a really cool ambience....also the Via Dolorosa is in the Muslim Quarter (at least that's where it starts) which is an attraction you definitely have to see while in Jerusalem...although it is sad that its so commercialized with gift shops in some of the churchs, etc.....also its a great place to get souvenirs....

Visited June 2013
3 Thank 7abeeb
Boston
194 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 137 helpful votes
“Be prepared to walk away!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

Walking throug the suk is an interesting experience. It's crowded, both with locals and tourists. There's a fairly narrow cobble-stoned walking area, so watch your step. There is a big range of goods on sale - trinkets, clothing, food, jewellery etc. The vendors can be fairly aggressive so don't make eye contact or show too much interest. If you do ask the price be sure to ask the currency - most of the time it's in shekels, but it could be dollars or even euros, at very creative exchange rates!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank MS06
London, United Kingdom
231 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 559 helpful votes
“Buyer Beware”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

Background: The Muslim Quarter is one of four quarters in the walled Old City Jerusalem, occupying the northeast section of the city. It extends from Damascus Gate on the north, then clockwise up to and including Lions Gate (Stephen's Gate) to the east. Accessed mainly through these aforementioned gates, it is the largest and most populated neighbourhood in the Old City.

The quarter contains a mix of Muslim, Jewish and Christian sites. Jewish landmarks include the Kotel Katan (Little Western Wall), and the Western Wall Tunnels, which run below the quarter along the Western Wall. There are many Roman and Crusader remains in the quarter. The first seven Stations of the Cross on Via Dolorosa (Way of Sorrows) are located here. Other Christian landmarks include St Anne's Church, The Pool of Bethesda, Monastery of Flagellation and the Ecce Homo Arch.

The Grand Souk (Market) at Khan el-Zeit Street is an interesting place, to say the least. It gives new meaning to the expression "feeding frenzy." Rabid shopkeepers make great white sharks seem like goldfish. One shopkeeper in particular, Hashim Stores, gave me a thorough lesson in haggling. My first error was making eye contact. Once you do, they won't let you go. My second error was acknowledging that I'm from (some rich country). They then inflated the price. My third error was touching the merchandize. To them, an item is considered sold if you handle it. My last and near-fatal error was not walking away. When I said I didn't have enough money with me, they "escorted" me to the nearest money exchange to withdraw some more money. I was only saved when my Auto Stop Payment on my credit card got triggered when I reached my £100 daily limit. No matter how hard they tried, my credit card was frozen. Whew! I walked away amidst jeers, insults and unintelligible curses in Arabic.

Verdict: There you have it. The Muslim Quarter is a vibrant, noisy and crowded neighbourhood, full of passion and intrigue. If you can ignore the noisy crowds and then survive the shopkeepers' onslaught, it is actually an interesting place to visit. Recommended. Grade B+.

Visited June 2012