“Money and Time Well Spent”
Review of Yad LaKashish

Yad LaKashish
Ranked #72 of 310 things to do in Jerusalem
More attraction details
Owner description: Yad LaKashish is a non-profit organization which provides hundreds of Jerusalem's needy elderly with creative work opportunities & crucial support services, helping them to feel part of Israeli society & boosting their sense of purpose & self worth.
Ottawa, Canada
49 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Money and Time Well Spent”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

A visit to this tiny treasure trove should be a must on anyone's trip to Jerusalem.

Tucked away just behind the Jerusalem City Hall plaza and just off Jaffa Road it is easy to get to without going out of your way.

They function as a drop in centre and workshop for seniors who judging by the lively designs and impeccable workmanship could teach a thing or two to younger folk. Spotlessly clean, professionaly oraganized and staffed by articulate personnel, It is hard to think of Yad LaKashish as a charity as they are almost doing us the favour by permitting us to acquire their wonderful products.

I have several of their pieces and am amazed at the intricate craftsmanship in their construction. While not cheap, their products represent good value for money and will give a lifetime of service through their use. I hope they realize that their crafts are treasured in homes around the world.

It is possible to take a tour through their workshops and met the craftspeople in person. There is something fulfilling about meeting the people who have made an object one now possesses.

Even when closed it is fun to gaze at their window displays as I walk back from Mea Shearim on Shabbat.

I used to donate my clothes there before returning home, but one of the co-ordinators pointed out that they didn't get much demand for extra tall men's clothing, so I now donate my things to the Haddash Wizo thrift shop on Hillel Street instead.

Do visit and marvel at their treasures.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Yonatan C

• Hebrew first
Toledo
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great Gift Shop”
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Yad LaKashish has a wonderful gift shop. All the items are handmade by the elderly in Jerusalem. On our recent visit, I purchased several very unique items. The little shop is off the beaten track but not difficult to find. Items are reasonably priced and it is nice to know this is a non-profit with proceeds used to provide various services for the needy elderly and disabled,

Visited July 2013
1 Thank 2Goers
Chicago
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wonderful Store”
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I picked up three items at this store. They have a terrific selection and the people there bent over backwards to help me find the right gifts (one of which I like so much, I am keeping for myself). What a great store with great mission. I will save more space in my suitcase next time I am back in Jerusalem. It also happens to be in a very cool part of Jerusalem which makes for a great place to walk around.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank apo495
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“What a blessing!”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I had the privilege to visit Yad LaKashish during our visit to Jerusalem last month. I can truly say it was one of the highlights of our visit! We so enjoyed the tour through the workshops led by a volunteer taking her aunt from Baltimore on a tour. We were able to see first hand the amazing work being done and to meet some of the artists! What a joy it was to see smiling faces and see the pride in their work! It is such a worthy cause and mission. I encourage anyone visited Jerusalem not to miss a visit to Yad LaKashish for it is truly a Lifeline for the Old! Great place to shop for gifts to take home to friends and family and a great way to support this organization!

1 Thank Becky M