“Great location and service from Eli”
Review of Kaplan Hotel

Kaplan Hotel
Ranked #52 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
“Great location and service from Eli”
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

Kaplan is a nice base for exploring Jerusalem. So close to the old city and surrounded by great restaurants and bars.

Eli gave some advice but also flexibility to choose our own favorites. He was always waiting up for us to debrief our days and catch up on our news in a funny way !!

Two downsides: room was very noisy all night on thurs and some of sat night. Earplugs needed. Second, the bed linen was for two singles rather than a double to match the bed.

Anyway, overall a good find and we enjoyed it immensely.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Charlie2lock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 17 November 2012

One of the highlights of our trip was having the pleasure to meet Eli, the owner. He was SO warm and hospitable. The location was perfect for us. I am extremely sensitive to outside noise, so Eli put me in a back room with a fan and earplugs, and it worked out just fine. The fruit plate was an added bonus. I highly recommend Hotel Kaplan. It also is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Melaniecar
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

To immediately judge the Kaplan on appearances would be a huge mistake... I only posted the photos to give other readers an image of the exterior entrance and basic standard of the rooms.

I can only heap praise on this friendly and welcoming gem of a budget hotel. If you want to stay within immediate walking distance to almost every major attraction in Jerusalem without paying a fortune, this is your place. 1 minute walk from Ben Yahuda street on Zion Square; easy 10 minute walk to the Jaffa Gate. If can't handle 'hostel-style' backpacking and only stay in 4-5* hotels with cocktail bars and swimming pools, then this is not your place.

The owner Eli goes out of his way to make you feel comfortable in such humble and fun surroundings. He made sure we knew that the fruit left in the room was free of charge and that we were introduced to the other guests and his cute little dog. Very safe and feels like a family home in the middle of the city centre.

Highly recommended experience. I would stay here again anytime.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony overlooking the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kansasforever
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed at the Kaplan during October, 2012; this was a return visit for me, as I had stayed there more than once in 2010. Eli Wasserman was a wonderful host, as usual. There is usually no breakfast served, but because so many restaurants are closed in the area on Saturday, Eli provided a wonderful spread. The room was comfortable, although I had some problems with adequate hot water in the shower (the sink had plenty of hot water, so I am guessing the problem was with the shower control).
The location is ideal, and is very convenient. The price makes the Kaplan a very attractive choice in the Zion Square area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank tpr244
Sunnyvale
Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

The hotel felt more like a hospitable B&B than a hotel in the center of a capital city. Location is awesome too: a walking distance from the Old City and a block away from cafes and from a shopping area.

Thank you!!!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank chemodan123
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Pleasant owner, good location, clean - but often noisy and generally rundown. Didn't live up to expectations. No breakfast available (other than tea-bags and Nescafe). Not really enough bedding, and nowhere comfortable to sit in the room.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith R
Mumbai
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I chose the Kaplan over more established brand name hotels because of the good reviews I'd read and more importantly, since I wanted to stay at a place that offered a more intimate "Israeli" experience. I was certainly not disappointed. The biggest plus point of this place has simply got to be the owner, Eli Wasserman. Right from the time I checked in late one afternoon to the time I left after a two night stay, Eli was friendly and helpful. Blessed with seemingly boundless energy and good cheer, it was a pleasure to sit at the kitchen table with him while he brewed me some tea and we got talking. His warmth and concern for my well being seemed genuine enough. He gave me a couple of maps to keep, on which he very helpfully sketched out directions for places to visit. I found out through experience that his advice was sound and I did not go wrong following his tips, be it directions to places or things to do and /or avoid. His breakfasts were simple but very filling. In sum, Eli is a large part of what makes this place nice. As for the accomodation, it is utilitarian. I had a small room barely enough to walk into. It was en suite, and had a separate curtained nook where stood a medium sized cupboard for clothes and some additional floor place where I could stow my luggage. There was a TV, attached high on the wall facing the bed, which showed several channels, both Hebrew and English. The bathroom was just about adequate in size. Two minor inconveniences with the bathroom were : A very small sink which allowed too much water to splash out onto the floor, and the lack of a shower cubicle which made the whole bathroom wet while taking a shower. But the room and the bathroom were very well maintained and clean. The hotel is about a twenty minutes walk from Jaffa Gate in the walled city of Old Jerusalem and a lot of the tourist attractions and historical sights are thus close at hand. The hotel is adjacent to Zion Square and this is a very nice area with good choices for shopping, eating or merely hanging out. Jaffa Road, on which the hotel is located is also a very nice and pleasant road for just walking along as well. And oh yes, before I forget. When I checked in Eli handed over to me a big bowl of fresh fruits wrapped in cellophane and told me "These fruits are not just for looking, they are for eating !! You MUST eat them!" And when he next saw me the first thing he asked was,"Have you eaten any of the fruit? It is FREE, I don't charge for it !" Of course I did eat the fruits and they were very tasty indeed. Thanks Eli !!

In sum, therefore, I would recommend this place. It is utlitarian and nothing fancy, but I found the overall experience of staying here almost like being at home.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business