“The greatest average hotel in Jerusalem!”
Review of Kaplan Hotel

Kaplan Hotel
Ranked #59 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Oslo
“The greatest average hotel in Jerusalem!”
Reviewed 21 January 2013

First off, I have to join the other reviewers in their praise of Eli as a wonderful host - I arrived extremely early in the morning, but he greeted me with a smile, gave me the room keys and a bottle of water, told me to get some sleep and come back when I was ready to check in. Later, he would also provide me with a chamsa necklace, as my visit coincided with a turbulent period with air sirens even in Jerusalem (November 2012).

The Kaplan is nicely located in the middle of everything, and it is easy to get to the various sights and events in the city - either by foot, tram or taxi. And should you need any advice on where to go or how to get there, Eli will be at your service! Due to nearby construction work during my stay, I learnt that its central location is both a gift and a curse, as they would begin working very early.

The room was average and nothing more - as expected from a hotel this price range. The bathroom was very small, but everything worked as it should. Unfortunately, my experience was somewhat marred by stepping barefoot on a cockroach on my last day, pushing my overall impression from a "Very good" to an "Average" one.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank AndyZoidberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Newark, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 January 2013

I stayed here with my brother in July. I wasn't too familiar with the area but the owner of the hotel gave me booklets and recommendations of fun things to do in the surrounding area. Very friendly and pleasant owner, extremely accommodating, best location near plenty of restaurants, bars, and shops. Clean rooms with wifi and TV. Bang for your buck!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Elana S
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2013

A hotel not only at the heart of the city but that provides service with a heart making it a real home away from home, Eli and Nathan the owners are incredibly kind and helpful (and funny!) and go above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that you have everything you need during your stay. They really know how to put a smile on your face.

It is a rare thing to come across hotel owners with such humanity, who are so passionate about providing a good service, whom would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it! I was offered food more than once when returning late after a long day taking care of a sick relative and even received a thoughtful gifts in my room of fresh flowers and platters of fruit which were a real delight and godsend, again testament to how incredibly thoughtful Eli and Nathan are.

On a practical note the rooms are clean and tidy and well equipped, showers hot and as well as being in a tremendous location and having all mod cons there is a real sense of being amongst friends and feeling incredibly safe and all of this for a very reasonable price. It is uncanny as the Kaplan is right at the centre with everything a stones throw away, yet magically feels like home. I am a repeat visitor and I have met many others from all over the world and all walks of life that return again and again. The Kaplan is truly a little gem in Jerusalem and it’s owners beautiful souls. Staying here can really enhance the enjoyment of visiting the Holy Land and leave you with a positive lasting memory.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank MashaMasha0
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

Kaplan is a nice base for exploring Jerusalem. So close to the old city and surrounded by great restaurants and bars.

Eli gave some advice but also flexibility to choose our own favorites. He was always waiting up for us to debrief our days and catch up on our news in a funny way !!

Two downsides: room was very noisy all night on thurs and some of sat night. Earplugs needed. Second, the bed linen was for two singles rather than a double to match the bed.

Anyway, overall a good find and we enjoyed it immensely.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank Charlie2lock
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 17 November 2012

One of the highlights of our trip was having the pleasure to meet Eli, the owner. He was SO warm and hospitable. The location was perfect for us. I am extremely sensitive to outside noise, so Eli put me in a back room with a fan and earplugs, and it worked out just fine. The fruit plate was an added bonus. I highly recommend Hotel Kaplan. It also is very reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Melaniecar
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

To immediately judge the Kaplan on appearances would be a huge mistake... I only posted the photos to give other readers an image of the exterior entrance and basic standard of the rooms.

I can only heap praise on this friendly and welcoming gem of a budget hotel. If you want to stay within immediate walking distance to almost every major attraction in Jerusalem without paying a fortune, this is your place. 1 minute walk from Ben Yahuda street on Zion Square; easy 10 minute walk to the Jaffa Gate. If can't handle 'hostel-style' backpacking and only stay in 4-5* hotels with cocktail bars and swimming pools, then this is not your place.

The owner Eli goes out of his way to make you feel comfortable in such humble and fun surroundings. He made sure we knew that the fruit left in the room was free of charge and that we were introduced to the other guests and his cute little dog. Very safe and feels like a family home in the middle of the city centre.

Highly recommended experience. I would stay here again anytime.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony overlooking the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank kansasforever
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed at the Kaplan during October, 2012; this was a return visit for me, as I had stayed there more than once in 2010. Eli Wasserman was a wonderful host, as usual. There is usually no breakfast served, but because so many restaurants are closed in the area on Saturday, Eli provided a wonderful spread. The room was comfortable, although I had some problems with adequate hot water in the shower (the sink had plenty of hot water, so I am guessing the problem was with the shower control).
The location is ideal, and is very convenient. The price makes the Kaplan a very attractive choice in the Zion Square area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo