“Wonderful experience at the National Hotel!”

National Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I have just returned from a short visit to Jerusalem with my mother and my sister. Usually I never leave reviews but we had such a great experience with this hotel we wanted to share this with other travellers who are thinking of visiting.

Firstly, the staff were beyond excellent. Nirvana, at the front desk, was the perfect host and she helped us with every part of our stay. When we arrived at 11am we wanted an afternoon tour that day, and were unsuccessful when we had tried to contact tour companies in advance. Within half an hour Nirvana had called up various companies and private guides she had used before and found us a brilliant Greek guide with excellent knowledge of Jerusalem as he lived there all his life and had studied the history extensively. He gave us a wonderful tour and a real insight into the City.

Our hotel room was huge and unlike most triple rooms, we had three proper beds rather than two beds and a fold up one. The room was clean and had all the facilities (AC, safe etc). It was quiet at night so we had a lovely, undisturbed sleep. We had read reviews of other central hotels which were noisy so we were grateful that this one was quiet. The restaurant on the top floor of the hotel is really good, we had the meze for lunch there which was a real bargain.

The area itself is in the Arab quarter of Jerusalem which is lively and a few minutes walk to the Old Town. Nonsense to anyone who says it does not feel safe, we were three women travelling on our own and we felt perfectly fine.

Nirvana recommended we go to the German Colony area for dinner, which is worth checking out. It is full of great restaurants and boutiques. On the whole, I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Between us we have travelled a fair bit and have not yet been received by such warm and welcoming staff.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Anni A

Reviewed 28 June 2012

I just returned home from a wonderful stay in the holy land. Israel is an amazing country the people are so nice and there is so much to see. I was in Israel for over a month and stayed in different cities during my stay. I was in Metula, Haifa, Tel Aviv, Beer Sheba, Eilat, Zfat and Jerusalem.

When staying in Jerusalem I stayed at a rather different hotel.

Cons:
At night it got very lonely the area so I couldn’t go out, the hotel is located within a few minutes walking distance from Damasks gate the old city, during the day the area is full of Arabs some are nice but this is not always pleasant for someone traveling alone.

The rooms I got was a little run down, there was a problem with the curtains that the sun came through early morning so I woke up very early. The water w3as not always hot so I had to shower with ice cold water a couple of times. When I checked in my room was not ready so I had to wait a long time – at least it seamed forever.

Pros:
The front desk girl I forgot her name was very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Dorina S
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My husband, infant and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend, and were very pleased with the service. We had a decent-sized room, with plenty of room for all the baby gear. The room was clean and tidy, although the bed linens and pillows seemed a little worn. All of the staff was exceedingly friendly and helpful, assisting with carrying bags, parking the car, directions/maps, etc. The breakfast that was included with our room rate was satisfactory, but not outstanding. Dinner at the hotel's restaurant, however, was WONDERFUL! The hotel is located within walking distance of the entrance to the Old City of Jerusalem, making it a nice base for exploring the Old City.

There were only two negatives. First, the windows did not have room-darkening shades, so we were up with the sunrise at 6 a.m. Second, the hot water in our room stopped working on the second day, and my husband had to take a cold shower before the hotel staff could come fix it. They did eventually fix it, however.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jessilynne
Reviewed 19 June 2012

I am truly sad writing this review. I can not fault anything about the standard of this hotel when it comes to cleanliness, service, value for money or exceptional staff reception staff like Nirvana and Bechar. All the staff were very accommodating. Breakfast was including and was good. We also ate that the hotel in the evening because there are no tourist restaurants in the immediate area. This hotel is well located for its walking distance to the Old City, Mount of Olives and the Garden Tomb. This hotel has everything going for it except the location. The hotel itself is located in East Jerusalem which is the Palestinian quarter of the city. To the unwary traveler and as a westerner, this was not mentioned in any of the views. At no time did I feel unsafe in the hotel but walking the streets I was really uncomfortable even when I was accompanied by my husband. Our choice of this hotel has proven to us that much research needs to be done when visiting a city in turmoil such as Jerusalem.

3  Thank pamlon
Reviewed 19 June 2012

The staff at this hotel are superb. Our experience here was fantastic. The dinner options at the restaurant are great, though the breakfast is a little subpar, especially their orange juice. We ended up eating a lot at the hotel because there are not many restaurants nearby except for fast food style places. The hotel is about 3 blocks from Damascus gate which is very convenient for accessing the old city. We also walked to the mount of olives and David's city from the hotel without problem.

1  Thank Kevin P
Reviewed 18 June 2012

High recommendations for this hotel from two well-traveled people ...we wished we would have planned to stay at this hotel longer! While it is in East Jerusalem, it is still right near a gate to the old city. When we arrived, the GM personally greeted us and helped sort out some questions we had. Later, Mike (the friendliest, most can-do customer-oriented hotel guy you can imagine) solved our internet problem and made sure our car was taken care of. The room was clean and much nicer than expected, including a fruit plate and drinks waiting for us. The breakfast buffet was terrific and separate from other groups that stay there if you are traveling privately. The staff was thoughtful and helpful. All around a great choice.

2  Thank LinnieLyn
Reviewed 16 June 2012

During May I stayed one week at the National Hotel with my father and stepmother. This was my second stay at the hotel having a one night visit last October. As other reviewers have noted the rooms are relatively large and have many features you don't generally find in hotels in this price range. The location is quite good as it is a short walk to Herod's Gate and Damascus Gate in the Old City. The Damascus Gate light rail station is not far away as well. We arrived in a rental car and were pleased to learn that the hotel has free parking in a nearby lot. The National Hotel is a very good value compared to the nicer hotels in the areas west of the Old City. The hotel staff are very helpful and friendly. Nirvana was especially helpful in making our reservation and providing all sorts of assistance during our stay. It is worth a visit to Hotel National just for the "Nirvana" experience. She is definitely the most helpful and accomodating hotel employee I have met. The one small downside for me is the lack of a swimming pool. I ended up swimming at the YMCA across from the King David Hotel and Nirvana found another pool for me to use.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends