“great service”

Ranked #31 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
Sudbury, Canada
“great service”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel is ideally located within a couple of blocks of the old city and is clean, comfortable and well run. Breakfast is provided in the rooftop restaurant and the food and coffee is always fresh.
The people on the front desk, especially Nirvana, go the extra mile. I caught a bug while I was there and the man on the desk not only contacted a doctor for me and walked me around to the nearest pharmacy and acted as my translator. I certainly would recommend this hotel for anyone as the entire staff were friendly and competent.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
santiago, chile
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and was VERY happy with the choice. The great price and clean rooms were welcoming, but perhaps the best part of the stay was the service. The young lady who helped with my checkin, Nirvana, was a tremendous help during my entire stay. I had a bit of an emergency where I thought I had left a bag in tel aviv and she immediately called the hotel and arranged for a hotel driver to go pick it up (luckily, it turned out i hadn't left the bag there!). Nirvana helped me the arrangements of tours and suggestions, and was just overall a friendly and warm presence, making my stay very enjoyable. The breakfast is included and had an enormous selection. The only minor issue was I found the wifi to be a bit spotty...it worked well most of the time, but a few times my internet connection dropped. but I still have to give this hotel a 5 star review.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

The hotel is in East Jerusalem (one taxi driver called it "a bad part of town") and that probably helps with the price of the rooms. That being said the hotel is two blocks from a police station and I never felt unsafe there. Herods Gate entrance to the whole city is right across the street from the police station and convenience to the old city is a great plus. Staff is extremely helpful and welcoming which truly add to the value of the hotel. The front desk particularly went out of it's way but everyone I met over my three days there were wonderful.

The above being said, know what your getting - the rooms are clean but unremarkable. Breakfast came with the room and was quite excellent as was the value realized by staying at this hotel which would have been double the price in West Jerusalem.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Tide2014
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We stayed at the National Hotel our first night in Israel, and then returned 10 days later for a 3 night stay at the end of our trip. The greatest asset of this hotel is the efficient, warm, friendly staff. When we returned for our second stay, we were remembered and greeted like old friends. The people at the front desk were very helpful in answering our questions and providing directions to various sightseeing locations. In the restaurant, the head waiter also always greeted us warmly and made us feel like honored guests.
The room was spacious and very clean. The bed was always made up and towels replaced by the time we'd returned from breakfast. The breakfast spread (which was included) was delicious. We also ate dinner at the restaurant a few times and it is well deserving of its good reputation as a local restaurant.
One caveat: the hotel is in East Jerusalem, and the surrounding neighborhood is busy and lively but not particularly upscale. This was fine with us but might be off-putting to some. It was quite conveniently located, however: about a 5-10 minute walk to the Damascus or Herod gates of the Old City, and a slightly longer walk to the station for the Light Rail, which provided fast, comfortable and inexpensive transportation to major sites throughout both East and West Jerusalem.
A couple of cons: the wi-fi is theoretically available throughout the hotel but in reality the signal was either weak or non-existent in our room. It was better in the restaurant but only worked consistently in the lobby. (This was also true in a much more expensive and luxurious hotel we stayed in for a couple of nights in West Jerusalem, so I don't fault National Hotel for this at all!)
Also, the lighting in the room was a bit dim for nighttime reading.
These are very minor complaints, however, in what was otherwise a lovely stay at an extremely reasonable price. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling in Jerusalem.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steffi S
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My sister and I stayed here at the National Hotel in Jerusalem when we visited Israel in July. We stayed here for a couple nights. The room we stayed in was a good value for Jerusalem, since many hotels in Jerusalem are very expensive. The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. The room and bathroom looked a little worn and old (this is definitely not a new hotel), however, being old didn't mean it wasn't clean. You could tell that staff made a point to keep this place clean and organized. The lobby was cozy and comfortable. The staff was very friendly here, in particular the manager we dealt with. There was a cool city view from the balcony of our room. This hotel also served a hot breakfast buffet that was included with the cost. We were pleasantly surprised to see they served real omelettes for breakfast (fresh cooked to order), besides the other delicious items available. This hotel was difficult to find even for our taxi driver, since it is hidden in a back alley road. However, it is located very near the old city via Damascus Gate. There isn't really anything nearby this hotel as far as nightlife or restaurants, etc. So if you're looking for that, I'd suggest staying elsewhere. Otherwise, the value and stay is worth being here and we had a pleasant stay at National Hotel Jerusalem.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Andrew M
United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I was a little cautious about this hotel as a few people raised eye brows that we were staying in East Jerusalem.
This hotel is located 5 minutes walk (max) from Herod's Gate. It was a 15 min taxi from the bus terminus.
The young lady receptionist (to my shame I didn't get her name) was probably the most helpful receptionist that we have ever dealt with. Quite superb! On our arrival she arranged our early check in and then proceeded to show us on a map exactly where - and when - we needed to do things. A brilliant help for our three days - I have never had better help. When we wanted to go to Bethlehem she gave us very precise details as to how to get there. I suggest getting the service bus for £3 / $5 return rather than the $450 we were quoted by taxis etc. Its very easy to visit and worth the trip by local bus.
The hotel itself is in a safe neighbourhood and was of a very good standard. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.
We had a couple of lunches at the hotel. Excellent value, good quality food & good service. Big portions!
The breakfast offered a wide variety of options and was fine.
The room was huge with a reasonable bathroom. Very clean and tidy!
The National does not serve alcohol, and you are in East Jerusalem so the opportunity for a beer is very low. But, the nearby Ritz Hotel (100 metres) has a bar and a rooftop terrace that offers 4th floor views over the city and each night we enjoyed a bottle of wine there to debrief the day!
My research suggested that West Jerusalem was much more expensive than the East side. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.
PS ATM 100 metres. Not many restaurants in the area so use one of the hotels but I had a brilliant local kebab one night!

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ROB T
leicestershire
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a group trip to the Holyland and used this hotel for a 5 night stay. The group were not given good rooms in general and many found them dirty and in poor state of repair. Our room was 328 and whilst large did not have a window you could look out of - only the one above the bed so see any view you had to stand on the bed. The shower was interesting as if you had a bath and let the water out the water then came up through the floor of the bathroom. My brother and his wife were put into another room on the same floor that was a single with an extra bed added and pushed up against the wall. Their shower was hanging off the wall. Many others in the party had dirty rooms that needed cleaning.it certainly didn't resemble any of the internet brochure pictures.
The saving grace were the friendly and helpful staff.
Breakfast and dinner were Ok I . Not a huge choice but the deserts were good in the evening. Location was handy for some sights but the area was not the best for walking out at night. Most important to note is this is a dry hotel with no alcohol served. The upstairs bar was full of smoking pipes and drinks like coke and fanta but not a beer in sight.!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends