“Great staff but disappointed”

National Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #38 of 101 Hotels in Jerusalem
Reviewed 29 December 2013

The staff were very helpful an chatty. The hotel is very big and looks very nice till you get to the room... For some reason there was very limited lighting with 2 spot lights at the head of the bed and 2 by the door so the middle/desk area was rather dark. The room didn't look much like the pictures with very boring white linen. The wifi was poor. Though the room was clean the bath tub had a stain/mark of some sort on it which was off putting.

What really baffled me was that there was a kettle in the room but no tea/coffee/sugar etc. Being a tea lover that is a must for me especially in a supposedly 4 star hotel! When we rang and asked for tea we were told to go to the 4th floor and get it ourselves! At which point we met the hotel manager who said they don't normally do as such (really??) but will for us (how kind!). To add insult to injury we were given paper cups and a few tea bags. We asked why we didn't get tea they said it was a busy period and will note to make such provisions for our room, they didn't...

Breakfast did the job, buffet was nice as well as A La Carte on the 4th floor. The hummus was one of the best I've ever had. Back to tea though, yes I am tea crazy. The tea provided at breakfast is vile. It tastes like burnt tea if there was such a thing! I had to ask for Lipton tea which was hidden on a high up shelf! I don't know if I'm missing something, perhaps good tea is expensive in Jerusalem?

However the location is great, just a 10 minute walk from majid al aqsa and on the door step of many shops. If you can overlook the above then this hotel is an absolutely fine stop over.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for National Hotel Jerusalem

Reviewed 17 December 2013

Nice, very large, hotel. Good location and very nice meals with lots of choice. Rooms and en suites very nice though WiFi could do with a bit better coverage (couldn't get a good enough signal in room). Bathrooms well kitted out and service polite and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Our Staying there was very nice, very good stuff they helped us by many Things, especially thank to Nirvana as a Soul of the Hotel. The Hotel is near all important historical Places, near the Old City. Roms very clean and comfortabel. The breakfast was very nice and we Hope That the wi fi cover next Time when we come back again the rooms better. The national Hotel is in all of course One Of the best choices in Jerusalem.
Christoph and Abdelrahman

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I was in town for business so the ease of transaction was my top priority. In this case, it couldn't have gone smoother.

I had booked by e-mail the previous day (and got a great price). I arrived fairly late in the evening, parked my car at the hotel's private parking lot (to which I was directed very clearly by e-mail) and walked in. Check-in took literally two minutes as they had already charged my card - just a quick photocopy of my ID and I was on my way. My (single) room was so spacious I could roll out my yoga mat and practice my yoga without moving any furniture! Plus it looked just like the pictures. The room was very quiet and I had an excellent 8-hour-long sleep. Breakfast was a nice selection of pastries, bread, cheese, cold cuts, fresh vegetables and made-to-order omelettes. Staff - the highlight of this property - was always cheerful, friendly and helpful.

Why only 4 and not 5? The surrounding neighbourhood isn't the best (which wasn't a problem for me as I stayed inside all night) and rooms are a tad bit worn - a cracked tile here, a leaking showerhead there.

I'm SO staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This is an Arab run hotel just outside the City Walls. The staff is fantastic and is the quintessential example of Arab hospitality in their efforts to welcome you.
The rooms are clean and comfortable and the decor is modern.
Normally I avoid hotel restaurants like the plague, but the general manager insisted we try their humus after I asked where the best place to get humus was and it turned out to be some of the best humus I've ever had. The other offerings on the menu are fantastic too.
I can't recommend this place enough. There's plenty of dirty hotels in Jerusalem but selecting the National Hotel will insure you that you don't end up in one.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank utpilot
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel is ideally located within a couple of blocks of the old city and is clean, comfortable and well run. Breakfast is provided in the rooftop restaurant and the food and coffee is always fresh.
The people on the front desk, especially Nirvana, go the extra mile. I caught a bug while I was there and the man on the desk not only contacted a doctor for me and walked me around to the nearest pharmacy and acted as my translator. I certainly would recommend this hotel for anyone as the entire staff were friendly and competent.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and was VERY happy with the choice. The great price and clean rooms were welcoming, but perhaps the best part of the stay was the service. The young lady who helped with my checkin, Nirvana, was a tremendous help during my entire stay. I had a bit of an emergency where I thought I had left a bag in tel aviv and she immediately called the hotel and arranged for a hotel driver to go pick it up (luckily, it turned out i hadn't left the bag there!). Nirvana helped me the arrangements of tours and suggestions, and was just overall a friendly and warm presence, making my stay very enjoyable. The breakfast is included and had an enormous selection. The only minor issue was I found the wifi to be a bit spotty...it worked well most of the time, but a few times my internet connection dropped. but I still have to give this hotel a 5 star review.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo