“Another lovely stay in a comfortable and well located hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Court Hotel

Grand Court Hotel
Ranked #36 of 97 Hotels in Jerusalem
Elderslie, Scotland
“Another lovely stay in a comfortable and well located hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2013

We stayed a week over Chrismas and had another lovely stay. This is the third time we have stayed here and keep comming back due to the facilities, staff and location. This hotel sometimes has mixed reviews. However our experience has always been very good with helpful staff. Although we are a couple we have not found any issues re levels of service due to large tour groups. In addition the bar area is very comfortable to relax in with a drink after a busy day and the food in the bar including the wine is of a high quality and much cheaper and better than some nearby restaurants/ hotels. We did not have evening meals. The breakfasts have a wide variety of fresh food and the rooms are very clean and comfortable. This hotel is within walking distance to the old city and the new tram is close by. We would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kev5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

Grand Court hotel fulfilled my expectations, I arrived early in the morning, they checked-in me immediatelly. Staff at reception helpfull, services ok, just room service menu overpriced according to israeli standarts.
This hotel is the second biggest with some 440 rooms, and still the hotel is clean, well maintained.
My room was bright, aprox. 20 sq.m. with table, sofa and kingsize bed. Bathroom well equipped. TV with free movie channels. And everywhere free wi-fi !
The hotel is aprox. 10 minutes from The Old City, City light rail is just in front of the hotel. I highly recommend.
Just one thing, I was asked to pay whole price of stay while check-in..

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Jakarta, Indonesia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2012

Stayed here 4 nights as part of the Holyland Tour. Hotel location is good, and also a short taxi ride to city center. The hotel service is average and the hotel laundry service timing is not as they advertised (always delayed) and the laundry pricing list is very expensive. Some of the male staff on the Receptionist are not helpfull. The room is average, clean and tidy. The variety of the food on the buffet restaurant is almost the same from breakfast to dinner (kinda make the guests boring with the varieties and the tastes). Mostly of the hotel's guest is part of the tour groups.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Daniel R
Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2012

The thing that was most pleasing to me here was the staff. Very friendly and accommodating, and happy to meet the needs of the guests. Yes, the dining room was huge with lots of guests to tend, but even so, if we ran out of water or coffee, they were happy to get more for us and did so rather promptly.

I found the food very good. I try to eat the local fare when I travel, and I also tend to gravitate toward what's fresh and light, yet filling. For dinner my biggest plate was the salad plate. Sooo many wonderful salad dishes to choose from. By the time I'd finished my salad plate I had room only for small portions of one or two of the main dishes, but I have to say I liked everything I tried. Each night they had a "station" where the chef prepared or carved the feature dish of the night. Lots of folks in our group loved the dessert table. There was lots of variety there too and, though I didn't eat much of it, it all looked quite good.

The room was clean and spacious, and the bathroom was decent sized as well. Clean, comfortable, and quiet. I slept quite well here during our 6 day stay. And while yes, as others have mentioned, they were laden with tour groups, I didn't find that to cause any problems for us.

My only complaint is one that's probably based more on my own lack of understanding than anything else. We were there during the time that a fair amount of bombing was going on. A missile was fired at Jerusalem for the first time in 40 yrs the day that we arrived at this hotel. They were great about telling us where the bomb shelters were, what to do, etc w/o inciting worry or panic amongst most of us, but of the 6 days we were there, the bomb shelters were locked 4 of them. I found that a little unsettling. I still rate this hotel well and would stay there again, but I wasn't completely at ease during our time there because of the unreliability of the shelters being open if needed.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mlschless
Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2012

Hotel is 10+ minutes walk from Damascus Gate and only a short taxi ride from other points of interest. Excellent comfort and facilities but - my perennial moan - the restaurant is huge, noisy and chaotic. Food is wholesome enough but catering for 1000s means it is a bit ordinary. Stayed there 4 days as part of a package and it was an excellent base. Public areas are comfortable but can be noisy. Rooms are very good - comfortable and clean and well serviced. Staff all friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: There are no spectacular views to be had so almost any room is acceptably good.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LNRBucks
Newcastle Staffs England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

I have now discovered the strange effect that Tripadvisor reviews can have on a holiday. You see, if there are tons of gripes, then your expectations are lowered so any goods bits are a bonus and actually I was dreading this hotel but found it absolutely fine. Yes, there are tour groups and we were part of one but if you don't like tour groups, then go independently.
Israel's tour circuit is what it is and in a country of this size there is no massive choice of hotels within a mid range budget. We liked our stay here & I was pleasantly surprised thanks to previous comments.
The bedroom and bathroom were clean and I personally had 4 good nights sleep. Reception staff were gracious enough. The food certainly started off well and I would agree that it then lacked fresh baked products as the days went on but I wondered if this was something to do with Shabbat on Fri/Sat. There was a noticeable lack of consistency of service & quality over the weekend.
Breakfast got on my nerves - too busy and not that great.
Location was great - 15mins walk to the Old city.
They need to pay more attention to the state of the bank of computers in the foyer which seemed almost vandalised.
Jerusalem is fabulous and I am sure there are many worse places to stay. Thumbs up from me

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PaulineT
Stroud, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2012

If you're staying here chances are you've had no choice.You're with a tour group. The place is dominated by them. We stayed here four days as part of a seven night lightning tour of Israel. The other three nights we stayed in a similar style of hotel. Comparing like with like I think I'm maybe being generous in describing it as "average" rather than "poor". Other places we stayed, notably the Leonardo Plaza at Tiberias and the Daniel on the Dead Sea did the same thing much better. Others I spoke to felt pretty much the same.
Reading through the Grand's reviews you'll see widely differing opinions and that's maybe indicative of a the hotel's inconsistency. For example the female reception staff behaved impeccably. By contrast the male receptionist I encountered was sullenly abrupt in a manner reminiscent of 1980's Eastern Europe. On arrival the bathroom had a few hairs left around but the rest of the time housekeeping was fine. Bar staff were generally amiable but really slow. A couple of times I found myself waiting fifteen minutes to get served in a "queue" of just three. Food quality varied . Good fresh breakfast bread a couple of days. Tired stuff on others. Same with pretty much all the food breakfast and dinner, though there was plenty of variety. The restaurant was feverish, especially at breakfast.People grabbing food, moving in all directions. Some would love the place, the cosmopolitan mix of Russians, Romanians, Chinese, Brazilians, (was anyone left in Brazil??), Americans, Brits, Costa Ricans, even some Israelis .....others might find it a nerve shredding bedlam. Our room was on the inside, overlooking a boring courtyard. Reasonable size. Comfortable. Irritatingly you had to pay a few dollars to get a tea/coffee pack., most of which would go unused. Despite all the tour group comings and goings it was surprisingly quiet- sound insulation between rooms seemed pretty good, but I think some rooms may get more noise from outside. Lifts were great- may seem a trivial point but an inadequate service in a large ten storey hotel would be a pain. Final good point is location. No more than fifteen minutes to Old City.
If I ever go to Jerusalem again I'd go independently and would avoid this place. If you hanker after a large hotel with a similar style I suspect the next door Leonardo (check it on Trip Advisor) does it better.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple