“Basic hotel, good location to Al Aqsa” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hashimi Hotel

Hashimi Hotel
Ranked #5 of 56 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Basic hotel, good location to Al Aqsa”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2013

I chose this hotel to optimise our short stay in Al Quds. Being a Muslim, the 5 daily prayers in the nearby Al Aqsa mosque was top priority. Located a mere 5 minute walk through the charming Old City, with its exhilarating sights, sounds and sounds, gets you to the peaceful sanctuary of the historic mosque complex.

The hotel is really basic, small room and even smaller bathroom though clean and with air conditioning, is somewhat pricey. The location is unique and the amazing terrace with fantastic vistas of Al Aqsa make up for this. Take your breakfast up there to absorb the Old City while enjoying your somewhat basic though adequate meal. The eggs and Hummus were delicious when available.

Remember to take cash as the hotel, and most shops don't accept credit cards...a costly mistake for me as the money changers downstairs take a hefty commission. US dollars or sheckels are good enough. Ask for the bubbly Saleh to take you on a memorable tour to Hebron and West Bank.

I would return to this establishment, which maintains some character despite its shortcomings....

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
East Anglia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I stayed here just for one night (my last in Israel) but I wish I had found this place sooner. It's great. Super clean, quiet but at the center of things, wifi available throughout, super helpful friendly staff helped me book my cheap accommodation back to the Tel Aviv airport and let me store my stuff and my friends' stuff the day before I stayed and the day after (my friends weren't even staying there!). Wonderful place, such a nice contrast to many of the bad experiences I've had with accommodation in Israel.

P.S. There's quite a bit of Muslim literature at the Hashimi hotel and much of the clientele were Muslim tourists from nearby countries. I had some great conversations with them about the Palestinian predicament and found it really enlightening and refreshing, and I wish them all the best.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Bolton, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2013

We arrived at Hashimi hotel on the 22 August 2013 and all I can say is that this hotel and its staff were brilliant. They were very accomodating and showed us a lot of respect. The hotel Manager (Saleh) is one of the most friendliest and warm characters i have ever met. He is full of knowledge and also provides an excellent service where he does tours around all the muslim sites in Jerusalem including tours around Al Aqsa. He is full of knowledge and at the same time he is very funny!! We will miss him dearly. I came with my mother and father who are both very old and he immediately helped my father up and down the stairs as we arrived. He asks how we are everyday and makes sure we are treated well. The biggest strength of this Hotel is Saleh and the location which is in the heart of the old city. The roof top terrace is amazing!

What an amazing experiece visiting Jerusalem made even more amazing with Hashimi hotel and its staff. Be sure to book your tours (ziyarah) with Saleh as it will be something you won't forget!

Please dont forget to rate this review as helpful when you have read it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Doccy
Blackburn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here earlier this year and we loved it. Located in the Muslim quarter of the Old City with a 10 min walk to Al Aqsa. The staff were brilliant to both the muslims and non muslims. There was banter and friendly chat with the hotel manager Saleh. The staff were helpful and accommodated our requests. The room was spacious and pleasant and the bathroom was clean. Our stay here was enjoyable and we would stay here again should we ever have the blessed opportunity to vist Palestine again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Luqmaan I
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

The fronk-desk clerks are definitively among the unfriendliest people I've ever met. With the exception of the old Palestinian cleaning staff member, all staff was from impolite to almost hostile. Only God knows if it was for anti western reasons or else. The room was clean but so narrow and dark to resemble a prison cell. I couldn't sleep for the noise all night all coming from the neighbouring rooms, filled with young overexcited teen travellers. Well, those are the kind of clients I guess may resist in this hell of a place. I survived one single night and flew to a much better place in East Jerusalem, where a very polite, friendly and open minded Palestinian crew welcomed me in a modern and well equipped hotel, thus giving me back the absolutely positive image I have always had of Palestinians. So, I strongly recommend you to avoid this place. Such bad service should not be tolerated!

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Travelling-Vincent
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked this on the strength of reviews and its great location in the heart of the Old City. The be-gowned reception clerk was not at all friendly, very dismissive of us Western women. The room was very very small and very noisy as there was a lot of activity of the local shopkeepers both early am and very late too. It appeared clean although we didnt look too closely. The bathroom less so though could have been much worse.

It was close to Ramadan and jerusalem and this hotel were filling up. However, that's not an excuse not to clear up after guests (or the family where the kids careered around the hotel on scooters) weho had been eating in the reception lounge. One afternoon we came back to find the very same detritis of a meal that had been there when we left that morning.

The impression I got was that the hotel 'tolerated' guests rather than welcomed them.

Furthermore, the Old City closes around 7.30 in summer and it is VERY DESERTED and not a place one would feel same wandering around. That leaves us with no where to eat or socialise.

The hotel had a lovely rooftop patio with great views but there was no service there. Would have been a perfect place to serve snacks or light refreshments had the hotel been more interested in its guests.

very disappointing

Room Tip: Away from the market!!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank HenrysWife
Beersheba, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at Hashimi for a night in Jerusalem and considering it was the cheapest hotel that came up on our search, we felt like we really got a bargain. The room was small and simple but neither of us wanted to spend much time in the room while the beautiful rooftop garden beckoned with fantastic views of the old city. It took us about five minutes to walk from Damascus gate (10 if we got lost) and about the same amount of time to the Western Wall. The staff were very, very helpful as we figured out our transport links for the next day and they really made us feel taken care of. It comiments the East Jerusalem experience very nicely.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple