“Unexpected jewel”
Review of Hashimi Hotel

Hashimi Hotel
Ranked #6 of 60 Jerusalem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 November 2013

When I was told that we were booked into a hotel in the Arab quarter of the old city, I was a little dubious about the experience. But I was totally wrong, it turned out to be one of the highlights of the whole trip. We parked our hire car outside Damascus Gate and it was only about a 5-10 min. walk to the hotel. Really easy to find. My first impression was of how clean and well restored the place was. My single room, whist a bit on the small side, was very clean, but basically furnished. Breakfast was a treat, full choice of fare. The view from the rooftop garden, was one of the best in the whole of the old city. We were there for 3 nights, so to eat breakfast up there each morning, was a perfect start to any day. The hotel is centrally located, max. 15 min. walk to any of the main attractions

All the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. This has to be the best value accommodation in the old city.

Room Tip: I did not have any problems with noise at night.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank John H

Reviewed 28 November 2013

The Hashimi Hotel can only be described as an oasis in the most amazingly vibrant part of Jerusalem’s wonderful old city. The whole experience, from the minute we walked through The Damascus Gate to when we left it again, two days later, was nothing less than a total privilege. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful, which only enhanced an already brilliant experience. This place is unique!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jayhawk-6l6
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

The staff and cleanliness of the hotel / Hostel is extraordinary also the breakfast is great the views are breathtaking what else do you want more, also centralized right in the middle of the Muslim and Christian quarters just a perfect location

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Toby T
Reviewed 21 November 2013

The view from the rooftop cafe is breathtaking from the Gold Dome of the Rock to the Mount of Olives! The service from the Hashimi family and all their staff is attentive, able to answer my multitude of questions with kindness. The rooms are spotless. The breakfast is deliciously middle eastern. The rooms are either hotel type or hostel type depending on your desires and reasonable! It is a beautiful oasis amongst the crowds outside, a few doors from a Station of the Cross and the Via Dolorosa!

Room Tip: Take note that booking online is in euros which may surprise some visitors. But it can easily be con...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Connie S
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This hotel came "highly referred" by a close friend because of its location in the Old City so we booked it a month and a half in advance. We requested a room facing the mosque in an email and also called the hotel with that request. Our friend did the same on our behalf. When we arrived, the manager showed us our room which was, least to say, "despicable". It was obviously not facing the mosque. So when I asked the front desk about our request, he simply told me that I'll have to pay almost double if I wanted such a room.

We had luggage and our room was on the third floor. No one helped us carry our luggage up, even though they saw my wife and I carry stuff upstairs.

In the room, the AC unit was non-functional. Linen was shabby…..but over all it was ok because we never planned to stay in the room anyways.

The location is ideal if you want to stay close to the mosque in the Muslim quarter. If I were to do it again, I would probably pay a little more and stay outside the Damascus gate in one of better hotels and walk to the Old City (which is not far at all). The roof top is a nice place to sit. The breakfast was terrible, I wouldn't recommend it.

We had also requested for a cab to Ben Gurion the day of departure. The hotel manager would not give me a receipt for the cab even though I paid him full in advance. On top of that he said " why do you care about $100-$150 when it comes to security for you and your family". The funny thing is that half and hour before our scheduled time to leave for airport, we were having dinner at a nearby place (by the way Ta'am al Nasr and Ta'am Ailaat are wonderful restaurants to dine at), when we ran into the Imam of Al-Aqsa mosque who asked me how much I was paying for the cab to airport. When I told him the amount, he was literally shocked and told me that the Hashimi Hotel guy was ripping me off. He was so concerned about giving all Jerusalemites a bad name that he insisted to go to the hotel with me and talk to the manager about why they were ripping off a tourist. I kept my original deal with the hotel manager as the time was short and I didn't wanna miss my plane but I was not happy of being taken advantage of by a fellow Muslim in the Holy City. I thank the Imam for being so concerned and I am sure he'll take the hotel manager to task for that.

In summary, the only thing about our Jerusalem trip that left a bad taste was our dealing with Hashimi Hotel. I can deal with "not-so-optimal" conditions etc but cannot tolerate dishonesty and for that reason I will not recommend this place.

Room Tip: Pay a little more, get a hotel right outside of Damascus gate.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Omar256
Reviewed 17 November 2013

You can't beat the location of this place, right in the heart if the bustling Arab Quarter of the old city. The rooftop terrace has a postcard view of the Dome of the Rock and is a magnificent place to soak in the atmosphere of the evening prayer call. Breakfast wasn't included but at 20 shekels for a buffet, it is probably the best value meal in Jerusalem. The young guy who is on desk duty in the afternoon is particularly helpful and polite. Marks off though for not accepting credit cards. Needing to pay for three or four nights in cash is not really up to scratch. Rooms were basic but well cleaned and were good value in a city that tends to do its best to get into your pockets. Fatties like me may have trouble with the coffin sized showers!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mat H
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed With my 2 teenage daughters for 5 Nights, and we all loved it!!
Yes, it is a 2 star hotel, and as long as you know what to expect from this you will be pleasantly surprised.

We were give a big, light room on the 3 floor, the only negtive thing is a bit of noise from Kitchen/hall.

The owner is wonderful, helpful and very service minded. We felt very well taken care of. The rest of the staff is also wonderful, but the best thing is the roof top terrace.

Its truly a Magic Place With the most magnificent view over the old City.

I will never stay elsewhere in Jerusalem. Can recommend this for everyone who is looking for a genuine, special Place to stay when enjoying the special atmosphere of the old City

Best regards