“A bit old but still a good stay”

Rimonim Shalom Hotel Jerusalem
Ranked #61 of 99 Hotels in Jerusalem
“A bit old but still a good stay”
Reviewed 21 May 2013 via mobile

Favorite of tour groups. Decent hotel. The service was inconsistent for example not getting a straight answer on soccer broadcasts despite several queries. Buffet dinner was also inconsistent. The first night meats were terrible but the other nights were better. As usual the salad bar was outstanding. At least there was a water station.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
Agno, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 May 2013

The Shalom Hotel is almost situated on Jerusalem highest point. If you are lucky enough to get a room facing eastwards you will be rewarded with an amazing sight of Jerusalem skyline, as far as the Old City itself.
Rooms are large and comfortable, even the furniture is a bit outdated. Each room has a full height window wall to maximize the seeing experience.
The hotel has a large swimming pool open every day and large dining rooms. The lunch/dinner is pretty standard, so don't expect too much, being buffet means you can literally stuff yourself.
Reaching the hotel from the Old City is matters of 15-20 minutes in mid-heavy traffic, so it's really a good option for touring the town.
Elevators are the really bad point here. The hotel is large and offers only 4 elevators, 3 if you happen to be there during Shabbat (one will work in Shabbat mode, rendering it basically useless for a non Jew).

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ashdod, Israel
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We arrived a group of 60 persons to this Hotel after receiving our keys for the rooms
we waited long time after we could obtain an elevator.
Rooms normal nothing exhorbitant.
Foods completely unsatisfactory.
Last time I will visit this hotel.

Room Tip: Not higher floors due to elevators
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank AARON T

Travellers are raving about these Jerusalem hotels

St. Petersburg, Russia
Reviewed 10 May 2013

After staying in a truly outdated hotel in Tel Aviv this was a great discovery. The room we were given is huge and air-conditioned, amazing view over Jerusalem, great dining (open when it's shabbat), friendly stuff. Btw the air-conditioning control is the finniest I've ever seen, with shabbat options and plenty of extra buttons. Our door had some problem with opening, but managed to resolve. I agree on slow elevators. Another area of improvement is walkaways which give an impression of old hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
RimonimHotels, Manager at Rimonim Shalom Hotel Jerusalem, responded to this review, 12 May 2013
Dear Breath777,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Rimonim Jerusalem Hotel and for the time taken to post them.
It's always nice to get a positive review. Knowing our guests have enjoyed the vacation and facilities to the full makes it all worth while.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future, just let us know when.

Best regards,

Roger Attias
Phoenix
Reviewed 12 April 2013

For being a pretty old hotel, I have few complaints about the Hotel Rimonim. The hotel workers are very friendly, the rooms are nice and the food is excellent (as it is everywhere in Israel). The only thing I can say is this: be prepared to take the stairs...a LOT. The elevators are seriously slow, and if you're staying during Shabbat, FORGET ABOUT IT! My friends and I were staying on the 9th floor, and I remember waiting in the lobby for the elevator for at least 15 minutes once. But I'll never forget chilling at the bar in the hotel lobby, singing with my friends around the piano and Havdallah on the roof on a Saturday night. Overall good experience.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Yorkshire, England
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I stayed at The Rimonim Jerusalem for three days as part of a Christian tour with Revelation TV from 6th-9th March. The hotel is generally a little tired and dated and I could have given it a three star rating, so why didn’t I? Read on ... This hotel is not a chillax beach resort in the Caribbean or on the shores of the Maldives (and I’ve been to both). This is Jerusalem, the Judaic/Christian pilgrimage of the planet so the chances are that you’re stay is to see the sights of Jerusalem. We went the first week in March and the hotel was almost full judging by the restaurant at meal times so I could imagine refurbishing the hotel at any time of ear would be very difficult indeed.

So, the décor is a little dated but only a little. The food was plentiful and varied catering for eastern and western tastes. I don’t fully understand the Kosher laws so can’t comment on that, I am vegetarian and I wasn’t disappointed at all which is more than I can say about other hotels, some of the crockery was chipped, simply check and put to one side. They did manage to segregate the large groups like ours but nothing to say you couldn’t mingle. The reception area is modern and has a large lounge that is all up to date and very peasant. There are three lifts, two standard and a Sabbath lift that stops on each floor regardless from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday. Only if you have a tendency to be impatient should this prove to be a problem, only at mealtimes was there a short wait, to be truthful I had no wait longer than to be epected really.

My room, sadly my wife is not a believer in God so wasn’t with me so I was on the 14th floor, so if anyone was going to have problem with the stairs it would be me but I honestly didn’t (and I don’t do stairs, especially 14 floors!) The room was spacious with two single beds (pushed together) a small wardrobe and very small bathroom. The shower cubical had a wonderful shower with very good pressure and lots of warm water (again, I’ve had 5*+ hotels that fail here), the room was clean. No aircon since it wasn’t officially summer but it was warm weather, this could have been a problem since most people don’t like sleeping in hot rooms. I had no safe which is something I really am not used to, other people on my trip had one so not sure why I didn’t. Flat screen TV but only BBC and CNN news channels in English, I only switched it on to see if it worked. My room looked out of the front of the hotel (as in the main picture on here) looking over Western Jerusalem, a rather good view of everyday life in Jerusalem if may say.

So overall, I think if you can get over comparing with the highly polished mirrored/marbled beach resorts that we are all getting used to and enjoy the City of Jerusalem you will enjoy you stay at this hotel. If you are a light sleeper request a room away from the elevators, mine was next door to one and you can hear the doors opening until late but I was so tired you could have run me over me with our coach, if you want a particular view ask at check-in, they are friendly and helpful. If I went again I would want a safe for peace of mind … Enjoy Jerusalem

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Speedoo202
Angelholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 April 2013

This Hotel did not live up to any expectations we had and was the worst on our Jordan, Israel 1w round trip. Generally very worn down feeling. To few and small elevators meant we took the stairs rather than wait, and those stairs had probably not bee cleaned or fixed since 1973. The diningroom was wast and had impossible aucoustics where every sound multiplied. The Pool was not only closed but the poolarea was looked like a Brooklyn backyard, only without dumpsters. No free internet anywhere. Hotel bar gave a feeling of airport waiting lounge. Location is way of anything you want to see in Jerusalem.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends