“very pleasantly surprised”

Leonardo Boutique Hotel Tel Aviv
Ranked #41 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 5 January 2014

What a pleasure to have such friendly and accommodating staff. I was made to feel very welcome and any request was immediately attended to - including a change of room because of outside noise. The business lounge is a definite plus and my only complaint was that they ran out of regular tea bags and coffee sachets on friday evening - which I thought was rather strange, considering the standard this hotel maintains. A very pleasant stay. Thank you.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I needed a hotel at the last minute because of a strange experience with an acquaintance. I was relieved to find such a swanky hotel to treat myself to. The front desk was very busy but my needs were attended to. They do need to hire more attendants to help with ringing phones and guest check-ins. For the relatively high price of the room, wifi should be available for all the guests in their rooms.

I enjoyed the nice location for a dinner out, for a jog the next morning after a scrumptious Mediterranean breakfast!

Room Tip: I liked being on the 3rd floor with a view of a running track and tall bldgs.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Upon arrival NOone bothered to HELP us with our luggage from the car - although there is NO PARKING SPACE or even a place to just stop for a minute in front of the hotel.

The staff at hte front desk was NOT WELCOMING and seemed to be professional only in the way to get rid of guests as quick as possible.

The decor of the small room was nice and functional.
But the BATHROOM was NOT CLEAN.
There were stains of red shampoo and even hairs of the former customer in the shower and a big layer of dust on the floor next to the sink.

In the bedroom there was even a very fresh used chewing gum glued to the floor as I discovered stepping on it with my bare feet. Disgusting !

Only the business center on the 9th floor as such we found convenient.

Unfortunately it´s not very well kept and the staff is quite careless.
One waiter - rushing left to right - even bumped into me while I stood still and was balancing a hot cup of coffee.
Obviously this was no reason for him to at least say sorry - he just cared to pass and move on.

On our second evening BROWN milk-coffee to orange coloured WATER coming from shower and the tap ruined the hair and headskin of my wife - right before we wanted to get prepared and dressed for attending a wedding !! (photos available)

We´ve contacted the front desk who told us that the staff knows about that problem already for longer as a pipe had to be fixed earlier in the day (..but didn´t care to give guests a warning !)

I explained about the state of my wifes hair and the urgency regarding the wedding - which was our only reason to come to Tel Aviv this time.

The only reaction was to advise us to "let the water run for a few minutes".
After 40 minutes (!!) the water was still red/brown and contained solid particles (rust and sand !?)

So I gave another call to the front desk to complain.
The front desk promised to find a solution.

When they called back we had already lost 1 hour.
They then offered to move our luggage to a different room while we would be out.

Reminded that that will not solve the problem of her ruined hair now he was helpless and just told us that he will inform the guest relations manager who would then contact us as soon as possible.

> To be clear: Technical problems may arise everywhere.
> But to know about these problems and NOT TO REACT
> and give guests a warning is TOTALLY INACCEPTABLE !

So, we then arrived at the wedding not just more than one hour late but also with an embarassing condition of my wife´s hair and irritations of her skin throughout the evening.

We´ve returned at about 01:00 a.m..
Neither did the guy at the front desk at that time was aware of any problem nor found we any message in our room.

The next morning until 11 a.m. still noone had contacted us.
So we went to the front desk and asked for the guest relations manager.

A few minutes later Ms Rinat Amosi showed up and asked (!) in a very snippy way what was the case (!)

We explained to her what had happened and that we found the reaction to the problem and the ignorance not to warn guests beforehand inacceptable to a house of these (also price-) standards.

She then "regretted" false-faced (as she LIED TO US) that one was sorry and wouldn´t have known of the problem of the water (!!)

Confronted with the fact that her colleagues were indeed very well aware of the problem - she ignored her lie and was trying to distract us by asking irrelevant questions about where we´d be coming from, going to etc.

Trying not to create an - for the hotel - embarassing arguement in front of a 7 people long queue of OTHER GUESTS people who were struggling to check-out - and also not TREATED VERY UNFRIENDLY...

(e.g.: One english speaking couple politely asked for a receipt in english letters as they couldn´t read hebrew and were therefore unable to check the receipt.
They rowdily got told they were in Israel - and so it was in hebrew - full stop !
Gestured with a waved hand it got made clear to them that they were expected to clear the desk immediately !! Unbelievable !)

.. I told Ms. Amosi that we would find it totally unsuitable to charge us for a stay that not only ruined the reason for our trip to Israel but also left us in such a bad state - with the HEADSKIN of my wife still IRRITATED and itching.

In the meantime she had moved behind the desk, took a look at our booking and with an exultant voice literally sang "Oooooh..... I´m sorry..... It´s already paid. So I can´t do anything."

What an IMPERTINENT LIE ...again !!

I however calmly explained that that has nothing to do with her abilities to reduce our bill, to reimburse or compensate in any way and that we will return to the desk after breakfast to learn about her ideas to make up for our troubles.

When we returned to the desk thereafter she had "evapourated" but the man at the front desk (without being asked) immediately told us that he would refund 40 $ (out of a total 255 $) to us through my credit card (What a "surprise" that it was possible after all !) and that this was the only thing that Ms. Amosi could do for us.

What an joke !
The 40 $ will not even compensate half of the costs for the hairdresser - not to mentioned the undiagnosed skin irritation !

I believe the whole misadventure makes some things very clear:

- The general ATTITUDE OF THE STAFF is TOTALLY INACCEPTABLE.
The personal is LACKING the most BASIC MANNERS of even far lower star hotels
and the service- and CLEANLINESS-level are obviously INADEQUATE if not disgusting

- GUESTS (!) generally seem to be considered to be DISTURBING AND ANNOYING and
treated respectively - even when there is no special situation (like the one that we´ve
encountered)

- the hotel therefore DOESN´T MEET THE STANDARDS that it does promise ..and charges !!

Personally we - having travelled all continents in our lifes already - are still shocked about the impudence with which we were treated and how one could be so careless towards the facilities as well as the "guests".

We wonder why people get employed who obviously hate their jobs and/our dealing with guests.

As if this was not bad enough - our appalling experience culminated when Rinat Amosi lied twice to us - which we considered a PERSONAL INSULT to us !

We would advise everyone not to stay at this place !

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank christian S
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Located on the outskirts in an otherwise non-charming business district, you'll miss free hotel parking and free WiFi, but can get downtown on the public transport bus in about 30 mins, will probably find the decoration a matter of taste, but enjoy a good bed and a very good breakfast. The lounge on the upper floor is a plus.

Do put out the DO NOT DISTURB note on your door, or be prepared for being woken up by room service before you even thought about going to breakfast.Otherwise, service was very good!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street have a view, the higher up the better. Those on the sides face buildings clo...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

This hotel was walking distance from my office and also to many number of good restaurants. I stayed in this place for 4 days.

Strangely the hotel staff is not familiar with restaurants near by and were not particularly helpful.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Balaji I
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Parking was atrocious and the check-in was lackadaisical at best. Pricing was also not quite as expected. We found that the continental breakfast was extra. The decor was not particularly restful or homey. After being in transit for 36 hours this was the place we had reserved to catch up on some sleep before continuing our trip. The floor of the room was pebbled, and the room provided little privacy for showering or using the convenience. All in all, though, we had reservations to return in a few days for a further night at the hotel, we cancelled the reservation and chose to go to another hotel.

Note that the hotel was clean and was otherwise satisfactory, it just didn't seem to be a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2013

If you need to be close to Assuta Hospital, or in this high-tech neighborhood near Raoul Wallenberg Street for work, as I did, the Leonardo Boutique is your best bet. It's on Habarzel Street, across the street from Assuta. The front desk staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. The decor - including in the rooms - was stylish and contemporary. I especially loved the great water pressure in the shower. That's always a bonus. Breakfasts were outstanding. There isn't much of a view, and I would have preferred free internet access, but those are relatively small quibbles. The Leonardo is a good hotel at a great value in northeast Tel Aviv.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business