“Thought it had been Updated - I was wrong”

InterContinental David Tel Aviv
Ranked #51 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here a couple of years ago and only booked to come back as I was told that a few floors had been updated. I booked a suite that had been recently renovated for myself and my husband and a double room on the same floor for the kids. When we got the suite I thought that there had been a mistake. It didn't look renovated to me though apparently a lick of paint and some new furniture counts as renovated. It was also the same size as the double room I had stayed in last time except that they had put a wall in the middle to divide the room into two. They put a sofa with a TV on one side and the bed on the other - not acceptable. We ended up paying extra to upgrade to a better standard of suite which was not renovated but it was not claustrophobic. The other problem was that they didn't have a room with two single beds on the same floor for my children. Nina at the front desk was very unhelpful - and I remember having issues with her during my last visit when I tried to get two rooms on the same floor. Luckily the duty manager was far more accommodating and changed the double bed in one room for two singles. It was very important for me to be near my kids for several reasons. Firstly we were staying in the hotel during a time of war and I did not want to be rushing to a different floor in the event of a siren going off to check that my teenage kids had heard it and to usher them to safety and also because I share lots of things with my daughter and did not relish the idea of going down 15 flights even in a lift every time I wanted to go to the kids room which was at least three of four times a day!
The pool area is quite spacious and there were lots of sunbeds which when the area got busy felt uncomfortably close to one another but this is a typical problem in many if not most of the big Israeli hotels in peak season. The beds are old plastic beds and many were stained and dirty and some were sagging badly in the middle. The little plastic tables were also stained and dirty and not acceptable in a hotel professing to be of such a high standard.
The breakfasts are the best I have had outside of the five star hotels in Eilat and it was very hard to resist all the different things on offer every day. The evening meal that we had at the hotel on Friday night was also very good with a huge choice for all types of diets - unless of course its a calorie controlled diet!
I didn't try the spa which looked cool and contemporary but I did use the gym which had a good selection of up to date equipment and weights too.
There is a bar open in the evenings but everyone in there smokes cigars - as a Brit we are not used to anyone smoking around us and the smell was unbearable. We left as quickly as we could. The lounge area serves nice meals and is a nice place to socialise in the evenings with friends.
The hotel is excellently placed close to the market, Neve Tzedek and the Tachana which are all worth a visit and the main reason why I picked to stay at this hotel. I have stayed here twice now and I am not particularly impressed apart from the breakfasts but then I have stayed in several other large hotels on the Tel Aviv beach front and none of them came up to the standard that I would have hoped for and expected in a top 10 beach city - There is a huge gap in the market for top end luxury hotels that actually are top end and luxury. Unfortunately the Intercontinental is not in that category but might have to do until something better comes along.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ilana613
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear ilana613,

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review.
We are disappointed to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay.
Regarding the mix up with your room, the hotel just completed renovating 2 club floors including all rooms and most suites. I apologise that you were told you would receive a renovated suite when you had a different suite booked and I will be sure to pass your comments about the service you received along to the relevant department heads .
The Inca Casa del Habano Cigar Bar that you mentioned is actually a cigar bar and as such smoking is permitted and is the only place in the hotel where smoking is permitted.

We truly work hard to train our employees and keep our facilities as updated as possible and do all in our power to provide our guests with wonderful memories of our hotel and we regret that you did not experience this.

We hope to welcome you back and receive the chance to restore your confidence in the David InterContinetal Tel Aviv.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

A hotel that turned a blue shirt into a red & purple one. "Instant service " & other staff who take an hour to respond to requests. A TV that didn't work. A swimming pool towel (only 1 left, so be grateful) the size of a hand towel. A pool bursting to capacity (OK,it's August). A deeply impersonal and unimpressive hotel. Dated. Not remotely up to the standard of the stars it claims. I wouldn't stay here if I didn't have to. And I won't again. The staff are greeted with a motivational sign as they enter the hotel stating "it's show business". This hotel just bombed like a bad show.

Room Tip: A few rooms have balconies. But your laundry won't be safe in these rooms either.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
naamabd, Sales and Marketing at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Bill N,

Thank you for taking the to comment on your stay, we are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your time at our hotel.
We truly work hard to provide all our guests with a personal and positively memorable experience, and we regret to here that you did not experience this.

We do hope that you will come back and allow us to change your perception and provide you with a great experience at the David InterContinental Tel Aviv!

Limor

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here before, and while visiting here again after a few years, I found this hotel to be quite disappointing. I guess there is nothing really bad with it, but, for what you pay, and for this brand name, you expect much more. Rooms are ok, just ok. Nothing in the way they look and their amenities gives you a good feeling. All basic. Many furniture pieces need urgent updating. Pool is basic. Doesn't give you any feeling of being on holiday. Maybe the street noise, the lack of green... Pool boys service was slow to non existing.

Over priced food and drinks.

Being a Gold member, you would expect basic amenities like complimentary water in your room ?

Location is great. Lobby is nice.

I guess this is one of the better hotels in tel aviv... Or at least, used to be ....

Stayed: August 2014
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Erannn,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the David InterContinental.
We are truly disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.

We apologise that you did not receive your amenities and that you did not experience the service we want all our guests to have.
We are slowly updating all our rooms and hope you give a chance to restore your confidence in us in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

this June was the 8th time my husband and I have stayed here. We have always had a wonderful stay and have gotten to know some of the very friendly staff. So, when arriving from the long flight it feels like home to us. we are greeted by familiar faces who have our room all ready for us. This summer the hotel opened its beautifully redone spa. The space is very nice and the services were very professional .One criticism I would have is that the main area where the bar and food service is located closes too early. Especially in the summer months this area should be open later. The rooms are nice (not as large as I generally like) but the renovated rooms are well done. Great views overlooking the Mediterranean from most. Great breakfast!!!

Room Tip: worth an extra fee to enjoy the lounge upstairs!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
naamabd, Sales and Marketing Department at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear Bonnie B,

Thank you for your rave review!
We are so happy to hear that you continue to enjoy your time with us.
We truly appreciate your loyalty and we look forward to welcoming you to our home away from your home again soon!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have mixed feelings about this hotel. For one thing, it was my introduction to Israel. I was on a tour, so the tour guides did most of the hand holding, but I did interact with hotel staff at times. That was not pleasant. The desk clerk had me wait for her for 15 minutes when i asked her if she could change my dollars and then at the end of 15 minutes, she told me to go to a money changer down the street. Not being familiar with Tel Aviv yet, that made me a little nervous. Didn't change my money. The bomb shelters, (I was there just after the bombings started) were perfectly nice; a ballroom in the basement of the hotel and the linen closet on my floor, 19th) At all times I felt perfectly safe.
Now the breakfast buffet, that was a whole other story. Superb. They had salads, breads, fruit, yogurts, eggs, hummus, yum! Lots of friendly staff here to fill up coffees, get juice, etc.
The hotel is situated across the street from the Mediteranean Sea. (sp?) A big ugly boulevard separates. It was humid, humid, humid. (all the clothes in my suitcase felt wet even when they'd never been worn). The beach sand area is pretty scuzzy, with graffitti on all the buildings, and chairs that cost money. The water is warm and VERY salty. It was barely refreshing, as it was almost as warm as the air. I was pretty happy to get out of Tel Aviv.

Room Tip: If you go within the constraints of the ongoing war, pick a lower floor. That should make you feel...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy S
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Judy S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

We are delighted to here that you felt safe while visiting Tel Aviv at a very hectic time and as we pride ourself on having the best breakfast in the city, it is great to know that you enjoyed this.

We do apologise for the inconvenienced you experienced with the front desk and can assure you that this does not represent the level of service at our hotel.

July and August are the hottest and most humid months in Tel Aviv, this is just a typical Mediterranean summer. However, we are blessed with 300 days of sun here in Tel Aviv so the spring is a great and comfortable time to travel in Israel (weather-wise).

We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time in Tel Aviv and hope that you give our great city another change.

Kind Regards,
Limor

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We recently stayed at the David Intercontinental Hotel in Tel Aviv. The hotel rooms were clean, attractively decorated, and comfortable. The public spaces were beautiful. Even more important was how courteous and helpful the staff was throughout our stay. We would definitely recommend this hotel to others who are visiting Tel Aviv.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
naamabd, Sales and Marketing at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Arlene L,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the David Intercontinental Tel Aviv!

It is great to know that you enjoyed your time here at the hotel and that you experienced our team's warm Israeli service!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon and becoming your home away from home in Tel Aviv.

Sales and Marketing

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here in July 2014, yep, right during the rockets attacks, and you know what, it did not really bother us
(I did see actually more than a few times the Iron Dome Tamir missiles intercepting the deadly rockets in the sky just above our heads and preventing so fatal casualties)

I'll start with the bottom line: this hotel was great ... and we felt great !
It is a real 4/5 star hotel.

The rooms are very clean rooms, very quiet (I do hate to hear noise from the hallway).
The staff is polite, respectful and helpful.
Always smiling and ready to get out of their way to make your visit enjoyable.

The pool is a big enough while the lobby/lounge area is exceptionally large and comfortable: the atmosphere is quiet, relaxing and altogether really enjoyable.

Prices are not cheap but I believe you do get enough in return to justify them.

Best thing about it? You are really close to Jaffa (Yafo) and its beautiful streets and surroundings, picturesque restaurants with delicious local food (Dr Chakchuka, Hummus, Falafel, Chashliks etc...)

You have also a few minutes away the Tel Aviv Market Shuk Hacarmel which is a full attraction by itself and worth walking around ... if you like living and noisy market of course .... Which I do

Let's not forget the sea and the beach a throw stone away which is actually the main attraction in Tel Aviv.

Bottom line ? a real 4 star hotel, close to the 5 star, a solid value that should not disappoint you.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Hotel: take a walk to Jaffa and Shuk Hacarmel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank Avi H
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Avi H,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are especially appreciative of having had the opportunity to host you during these trying times, and we thank you for acknowledging the reassurance you received from our team. We pride ourselves as being accredited as the safest hotel in Tel Aviv and we are glad you were able to experience this first-hand.
We can't wait to welcome you back and look forward to introducing you to even more must-see spots in our neighborhood.

Naama Ben-Dror