I stayed here a couple of years ago and only booked to come back as I was told that a few floors had been updated. I booked a suite that had been recently renovated for myself and my husband and a double room on the same floor for the kids. When we got the suite I thought that there had been a mistake. It didn't look renovated to me though apparently a lick of paint and some new furniture counts as renovated. It was also the same size as the double room I had stayed in last time except that they had put a wall in the middle to divide the room into two. They put a sofa with a TV on one side and the bed on the other - not acceptable. We ended up paying extra to upgrade to a better standard of suite which was not renovated but it was not claustrophobic. The other problem was that they didn't have a room with two single beds on the same floor for my children. Nina at the front desk was very unhelpful - and I remember having issues with her during my last visit when I tried to get two rooms on the same floor. Luckily the duty manager was far more accommodating and changed the double bed in one room for two singles. It was very important for me to be near my kids for several reasons. Firstly we were staying in the hotel during a time of war and I did not want to be rushing to a different floor in the event of a siren going off to check that my teenage kids had heard it and to usher them to safety and also because I share lots of things with my daughter and did not relish the idea of going down 15 flights even in a lift every time I wanted to go to the kids room which was at least three of four times a day!
The pool area is quite spacious and there were lots of sunbeds which when the area got busy felt uncomfortably close to one another but this is a typical problem in many if not most of the big Israeli hotels in peak season. The beds are old plastic beds and many were stained and dirty and some were sagging badly in the middle. The little plastic tables were also stained and dirty and not acceptable in a hotel professing to be of such a high standard.
The breakfasts are the best I have had outside of the five star hotels in Eilat and it was very hard to resist all the different things on offer every day. The evening meal that we had at the hotel on Friday night was also very good with a huge choice for all types of diets - unless of course its a calorie controlled diet!
I didn't try the spa which looked cool and contemporary but I did use the gym which had a good selection of up to date equipment and weights too.
There is a bar open in the evenings but everyone in there smokes cigars - as a Brit we are not used to anyone smoking around us and the smell was unbearable. We left as quickly as we could. The lounge area serves nice meals and is a nice place to socialise in the evenings with friends.
The hotel is excellently placed close to the market, Neve Tzedek and the Tachana which are all worth a visit and the main reason why I picked to stay at this hotel. I have stayed here twice now and I am not particularly impressed apart from the breakfasts but then I have stayed in several other large hotels on the Tel Aviv beach front and none of them came up to the standard that I would have hoped for and expected in a top 10 beach city - There is a huge gap in the market for top end luxury hotels that actually are top end and luxury. Unfortunately the Intercontinental is not in that category but might have to do until something better comes along.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A warm Israeli welcome awaits you at your home in the 'SoHo' of Tel Aviv. Ideally located between the city's main cultural centers, Neve Tzedek, the beach, and Old Jaffa, the David InterContinental offers the perfect starting point to exploring the city. Spend the day experiencing Tel Aviv like a local and return to the serenity of the David InterContinental boasting the best of Israeli hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental David Tel Aviv reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental David Tel Aviv Hotel Tel Aviv
- Intercontinental Tel Aviv
- Tel Aviv Intercontinental