“good hotel, nice pool but some of the rooms are shocking”

InterContinental David Tel Aviv
Ranked #51 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 23 August 2014

good hotel, nice pool but some of the rooms are shocking. stayed here at pesach. great pool and really good service (quite rare in israel) but our room was on the 13th floor and it was terrible. we had dangerous plug sockets, the rooms smelled, carpet was worn and pretty ugly. I did see other rooms whcih were much nicer so I guess it is probably just bad luck. The team were very apologetic at the end so I guess everyone is aware that there is this issue.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Giddykat
naamabd, Sales and Marketing Department at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Dear Giddykat,

Greetings from Sunny Tel Aviv!
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. We are delighted to hear that overall you had a nice stay with us.
We truly apologise for any inconveniences you encountered while during your stay.

We regret to hear that you were unhappy with your room, however please note that we have recently renovated our top two floors and will continue to improve our hotel throughout the years.

On your next visit we will be sure to provide you with a room that you are happy with to ensure an even better stay.

Limor

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We are on our last day of our journey to Israel. We started out two and a half weeks ago from New York. We spent our first night at the David Intercontinental Hotel in Tel Aviv. Unfortunately, the hotel was very quiet due to the then ongoing Gaza conflict.
The hotel staff could not be kinder. They expressed their appreciation, thanked us for coming to Israel and extended every courtesy to us.
Manager, Guy Levy called to check if everything was good and continued to show his professional generosity and graciousness throughout our stay.
We left for Jerusalem the next day, joined by our family, and toured Israel for the next ten days.
We returned to the David Intercontinental five days ago with our family. This time, the hotel was jammed with guests.. Couldn't even find chairs at the pool. But to our rescue came Yuval Yaron, the pool Manager. He found us places at the pool and went out of his way to make us comfortable.
Again, Guy Levy was delighted to greet us and our family, and although the hotel was filled, he continued to personally attend to our every need.
Avi and Ranon, the Concierges, supplied us with information, maps and recommendations.
Everyone took time to be accommodating to us!
The rooms were great, the food wonderful and service could not be beat.
We hope to return to Israel, and if we do, I can assure that our hotel in Tel Aviv will be the David Intercontinental!

Room Tip: Sea and city view on high floor
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Bubbema,

Sunny greetings from Tel Aviv and the David InterContinental Tel Aviv!
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us! We are so happy to hear that you experienced our top service and that you were able to enjoy your trip despite the difficult state of affairs.

I will be sure to pass your wonderful comment on to the staff and managers, I am sure that will be delighted.

We truly hope to welcome you back at more peaceful times.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 6 days in June as we were here in Israel to celebrate a wedding and our anniversary. The hotel management and staff are without exception first class. We were upgraded to a high level suite which was large and spacious with superb views of the sea. The bathroom was well equiped and the towels were lovely and soft.
We spent our leisure time around the pool and often had snacks there. The breakfast offered a superb choice of hot and cold food and there was no complaints here.
One to stay next time in Tel Aviv.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michael N
naamabd, Sales and Marketing Department at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Dear Michael N,

Warm greetings from the David InterContinental Tel Aviv.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our breakfast was to your liking as this is a point of pride at our hotel - The best breakfast in the city!

We wish you Mazal Tov and are happy to know that you had a special anniversary celebration!

Reviewed 17 August 2014

To the Hotel Manager, David Cohen August 2014.

I write to thank you and all the staff and personnel at the David Intercontinental hotel Tel Aviv, for your superb hospitality and service during our family summer vacation this week. This was our fourth vacation in your hotel and every time you reach a new level of service that give us the taste for more with that very special atmosphere you all promote so gently, and so naturally, was much appreciated and makes all the difference.

Thank you. Thank everyone.
Toby

Room Tip: If you are traveling with kids the family suite is perfect.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Toby-israel,

Thank you so much so posting this amazing review!
We are so delighted that you and your family continue to enjoy your time with us and we truly appreciate your loyalty.

I will be sure to relay this message on to our General Manager who will be excited to hear about your stay with us and that you experienced the top service we strive to give all our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Many kind regards,

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay at the Intercontinental David Tel Aviz including having access to the club lounges on lobby level and on the upper floor. Plusses are the large lobby facilities with multiple restaurants, easy and spacious valet parking, nice health club with outside pool, one of the largest and quality breakfasts we have experienced, and all of the food is kosher. You can sit outside while having your breakfast and enjoy nice view of pool and the Sea. We were minutes from the beach and enjoyed taking frequent walks there and take up the vibrancy and sophistication of the city. Renovation was in process at the hotel although it did not effect our stay. Initial check in process was not the best experience due to poor judgment by the front desk person on locating a nice room for us and what they wanted to charge for it. We made sure to stay away from this person (who had Supervisor status) and completed our check in about one to two hours later! but rest of stay was problem free.

Room Tip: Can pay separate charge to get access to the lower priced club lounge or premium charge to access th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Fairport5,

Thank you for your great review!
We are so happy to know that overall you had a positive experience at our hotel.
Our breakfast buffet is a point of pride for us so we are delighted that you enjoyed this.

We regret to hear of your inconvenience at check in and we are happen this did not impact your entire stay.
We hope to have you back soon!

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here a couple of years ago and only booked to come back as I was told that a few floors had been updated. I booked a suite that had been recently renovated for myself and my husband and a double room on the same floor for the kids. When we got the suite I thought that there had been a mistake. It didn't look renovated to me though apparently a lick of paint and some new furniture counts as renovated. It was also the same size as the double room I had stayed in last time except that they had put a wall in the middle to divide the room into two. They put a sofa with a TV on one side and the bed on the other - not acceptable. We ended up paying extra to upgrade to a better standard of suite which was not renovated but it was not claustrophobic. The other problem was that they didn't have a room with two single beds on the same floor for my children. Nina at the front desk was very unhelpful - and I remember having issues with her during my last visit when I tried to get two rooms on the same floor. Luckily the duty manager was far more accommodating and changed the double bed in one room for two singles. It was very important for me to be near my kids for several reasons. Firstly we were staying in the hotel during a time of war and I did not want to be rushing to a different floor in the event of a siren going off to check that my teenage kids had heard it and to usher them to safety and also because I share lots of things with my daughter and did not relish the idea of going down 15 flights even in a lift every time I wanted to go to the kids room which was at least three of four times a day!
The pool area is quite spacious and there were lots of sunbeds which when the area got busy felt uncomfortably close to one another but this is a typical problem in many if not most of the big Israeli hotels in peak season. The beds are old plastic beds and many were stained and dirty and some were sagging badly in the middle. The little plastic tables were also stained and dirty and not acceptable in a hotel professing to be of such a high standard.
The breakfasts are the best I have had outside of the five star hotels in Eilat and it was very hard to resist all the different things on offer every day. The evening meal that we had at the hotel on Friday night was also very good with a huge choice for all types of diets - unless of course its a calorie controlled diet!
I didn't try the spa which looked cool and contemporary but I did use the gym which had a good selection of up to date equipment and weights too.
There is a bar open in the evenings but everyone in there smokes cigars - as a Brit we are not used to anyone smoking around us and the smell was unbearable. We left as quickly as we could. The lounge area serves nice meals and is a nice place to socialise in the evenings with friends.
The hotel is excellently placed close to the market, Neve Tzedek and the Tachana which are all worth a visit and the main reason why I picked to stay at this hotel. I have stayed here twice now and I am not particularly impressed apart from the breakfasts but then I have stayed in several other large hotels on the Tel Aviv beach front and none of them came up to the standard that I would have hoped for and expected in a top 10 beach city - There is a huge gap in the market for top end luxury hotels that actually are top end and luxury. Unfortunately the Intercontinental is not in that category but might have to do until something better comes along.

1  Thank ilana613
naamabd, Public Relations Manager at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear ilana613,

Thank you for taking the time to write this detailed review.
We are disappointed to hear that you were unsatisfied with your stay.
Regarding the mix up with your room, the hotel just completed renovating 2 club floors including all rooms and most suites. I apologise that you were told you would receive a renovated suite when you had a different suite booked and I will be sure to pass your comments about the service you received along to the relevant department heads .
The Inca Casa del Habano Cigar Bar that you mentioned is actually a cigar bar and as such smoking is permitted and is the only place in the hotel where smoking is permitted.

We truly work hard to train our employees and keep our facilities as updated as possible and do all in our power to provide our guests with wonderful memories of our hotel and we regret that you did not experience this.

We hope to welcome you back and receive the chance to restore your confidence in the David InterContinetal Tel Aviv.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

A hotel that turned a blue shirt into a red & purple one. "Instant service " & other staff who take an hour to respond to requests. A TV that didn't work. A swimming pool towel (only 1 left, so be grateful) the size of a hand towel. A pool bursting to capacity (OK,it's August). A deeply impersonal and unimpressive hotel. Dated. Not remotely up to the standard of the stars it claims. I wouldn't stay here if I didn't have to. And I won't again. The staff are greeted with a motivational sign as they enter the hotel stating "it's show business". This hotel just bombed like a bad show.

Room Tip: A few rooms have balconies. But your laundry won't be safe in these rooms either.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
naamabd, Sales and Marketing at InterContinental David Tel Aviv, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Dear Bill N,

Thank you for taking the to comment on your stay, we are sorry to hear that you were dissatisfied with your time at our hotel.
We truly work hard to provide all our guests with a personal and positively memorable experience, and we regret to here that you did not experience this.

We do hope that you will come back and allow us to change your perception and provide you with a great experience at the David InterContinental Tel Aviv!

Limor