“1970's hotel to ''enjoy''”

Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #58 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
London, United Kingdom
“1970's hotel to ''enjoy''”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

disappointed about this hotel
first the horrible women from the reception with an ice cold face gave us a horrible room on the 7 floor. horrible smell on this floor and in the room.

we booked a room with sea view and the room had 90% a street view

we asked for a new room and the women from the reception gave us a room with a horrible smell, old fridge, on the same floor better to sleep outside than in such a room.

And they pretend to be part of Marriot. 2 separate beds also.
So I had to phone the duty manager who gave us a good room on the 14 floor but without a fridge.
Their indoor swimming pool is like a school swimming pool with a powerful chlorine smell. I could not go in.
I will never return to this hotel. The breakfast on Friday was poor as in a youth hostel. The rooms on the 7 floor are from a horror movie with old fridges, old furniture.

Room Tip: never take a ''comfort room' is a horror room. no free WI FI in the room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mitzi123466789
HHCBrunoWolf, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for your comments about our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel here on Tripadvisor . We are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.
All our rooms have a private balcony and a seaview as well as a minibar. Our location is certainly the best in Tel Aviv.
We work very hard to improve our facilities and we are confident that the ongoing changes will address all of your concerns.

Thank you for your stay at our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel
T.Cohen Director of Sales and Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Texas
Reviewed 28 January 2014

I think the review by jediplay covered this hotel very well. If you come in knowing this is not the most modern of hotels you might find it quaint and in other respects entirely satisfactory. I found all the staff to be very friendly (check-in, bar, club room). To me the best aspect of this hotel is that it is right on the beach. Forget the exercise room and head out for a jog, rent a bike or use the workout machines in the sand. The only slight issue is the door at beach level is only open 7am to 5pm so if you go out earlier to run or come back from a meal on the beach you'll need to use the front entrance.

There are plenty of good places to eat nearby, on the beach, at the marina or along Ben Yehuda.

If you're looking for something more flashy or modern by US standards then the David Intercontinental is probably more your style but otherwise this is perfectly fine.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HHCBrunoWolf, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear britfromtexas,

Thank you very much for your outlook on our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel which we believe is good advice to other readers and potential visitors.
We truly believe that a good location and a good team make all the difference with the guest experience. We are pleased to hear that you had a positive experience at our Renaissance hotel.
Regarding the exit to the beach, we keep it open longer hours in the summer months as the sun sets later and we can offer our guests an opportunity to stay longer at the beach.

For security reasons, we need to man all exits. This is for our guests safety and security and I am certain you can identify with this.

We are constantly upgrading our facilities here at our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel. Right now we are in the process of renovating more of our guest rooms as well as our breakfast room.

We would be pleased if you occasionally visit our website or become a Facebook fan. We can then keep you informed about
news as well as attractive offers which you can book directly online.

Again, thank you very much for having taken the time to rate our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel here on Tripadvisor.

San Jose
Reviewed 22 January 2014

Most people who are familiar with Marriot brand Renaissance hotel will agree that one in Tel Aviv does not meet its usual standard. Well, yes and no if you ask me. This was my 5th visit to Israel and I have tried many popular hotels ranging from $250 - $400 per night because many of them didn’t meet my expectations. Let’s face it. For what they have to offer, it sure is expensive in Tel Aviv and most hotels are not modern in Israel so leave that expectation at home and you’ll do just fine. I for one, have completely lowered my expectations and afterwards, I actually felt right at home. If this Renaissance was in Hong Kong or Singapore, I would not recommend it. However, considering where it is, I do recommend this hotel.

Location: This hotel is near beach and view/access to the beach is convenient. However, due to the location, it is not so easy to access this hotel if you drive or need to park your vehicle. Location is somewhat bizarre as you have go through the underground building and go up a ramp and through another hotel lobby to get to this hotel if you are driving a rental car.

Check-in: Hotel staff was courteous and friendly. This may be due to I am platinum member but overall, the hotel staff seem eager to help guests based on what I saw. My room had fruit basket arrival gift waiting when I got in which was a nice touch for a frequent guest.

Room: Room has been renovated but hotel property is old and it is difficult to hide that fact. My room did not have thermostat for some reason and it only had three antique looking manual switches to turn the heater on and adjust the fan speed setting. There is a LCD TV on the wall which had a digital clock included but it wasn’t legible so if you need to wake up, I would set an alarm on your phone or morning call from the hotel. Work desk was adequate and chair was fairly comfortable. However, internet is slow which seems to be connecting at maximum of 54mbps and don’t even think about streaming anything. Don’t forget to bring a power adapter as no universal power outlet available. If you do forget, you can borrow one but leave 20 NIS deposit at the lobby desk.

Bathroom: All bathroom in Israel is about the same. The shower tub is small and it has swing out glass partition but due to this the shower nozzle height is about 5 feet high and I have to bend down to wash my hair. Why this way is beyond me but most of them are the same. Toiletries are okay but considering Dead sea minerals are plentiful, this Renaissance did not splurge on the toiletries. I tried it once and ended up using toiletries from another hotel I brought with me just in case. Toilet is old and did not flush well which may require upgrade soon.

Lounge: 16th floor has executive lounge and if you have an access to it, you might try it. Hors d’oeuvre is available from 6-8 PM along with beer and wine. Liquor is available for purchase but it is expensive. Lounge is not comfortable but it does its job. Wi-Fi is not free or open and you must have code to access it which is available from front desk during check in.

Restaurant: I only had a breakfast at the main level and most food are very good. Buffet selection is limited due to it is Israelis breakfast, but egg station is available.

Parking: There is no parking spot readily available and recommend to leave the car to the valet parking attendant. I use 10 NIS tip per exit which is about $3 dollars in the U.S. Daily parking fee is added to the hotel bill which was about $14 dollars per day.

Overall impression: I would stay again at the Renaissance as I have concluded that most hotels in Israel is just about the same. Certain hotels are better than the other hotels but I have yet to find a great hotel in Israel. I think the Ritz Carton just opened so I may try that hotel later if price is within my budget. Just think of this way. Hotels in Israel isn’t Singapore or Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Get Marriott VISA card which will give an Elite status at Marriott hotel if you don't have one.
2 Thank jediplay
HHCBrunoWolf, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 26 January 2014
Dear Jediplay,

Thank you so much for having gone through such lenghts to rate our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel, here on Tripadvisor so well.
We do highly appreciate all the positive things you mentioned about our products and services. We have of course also taken note of your comment about the shower. If you are indeed tall, the fixed shower nozzle can be somewhat low. However, there is also another handshower which should be helpful in such a case.
Thank you for the hint about the guest supplies.
And you are also right about the toilet flush. We are in a process of changing all our toilets. One hundred have been already replaced to better and a more water saving mechanism.
Regarding the club lounge, there are also plans to upgrade and expand it. No detailed plans can be communicated at this time however.
There are 3 PC stations with free Internet access in the lounge.
Thank you also for your recommendation to other readers to have a Marriott Rewards Visa card in order to get Elite status . We would like to emphasize that this solution is only applicable to US residents.
Since you are already a loyal Marriott customer, we assume that you are getting all communication about special offers for all Marriott brands, including our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel. These can be booked directly at your specially dedicated website

Thank you again for recommending our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach Hotel and we are certainly look forward to welcoming you again.

very best regards
Albany, New York
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I must admit after reading some of the reviews I got nervous about this hotel. My fears were laid to rest as soon I walked in and was greeted by the hotel staff. The hotel has magnificent views with a perfect beach. It’s an older hotel and the rooms are small by U.S. standards. The workout facility is very old and basic this is a great excuse to go out and walk on the magnificent board-walk. The breakfast is fantastic but I cannot recommend the food at the lobby other than the basic appetizer or sandwich. I’m a Marriott platinum member therefor I had access to the lounge and that was very nice much better than any U.S. Marriott hotels. Just keep in mind this is not a luxury hotel but they do the basics very well.

Room Tip: High floors south facing rooms away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
HHCBrunoWolf, Public Relations Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear San F,

what a great surprise to read your nice comments here on Tripadvisor about our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach hotel. We are very happy that your initial hesitation was put to rest after you have been here. Of course we cannot please all guests of all ages and nationalities, but in the last years we have done many things to upgrade the hotel in all aspects and we are never finished. In fact we now have only 2 floors left which are not yet renovated, but we are working on it. Also our lounge which you liked a lot, is part of that. Our plan is to enlarge and upgrade it within the coming years. But as you can imagine it will take a larger construction as well as financial effort to make this happen.
We are currently taking a very close look at our gym which normally never got any complaints. Thank you for the comment.
As for the roomsize, you are right. It cannot be compared with US standards as you are used to huge rooms which is almost never the case outside the United States.
We are very happy though, you found the breakfast as well as our hotel staff here at our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach hotel to be so great. Especially these two items are the most important for most guests and we are glad we do this well.
Since you are a Marriott Rewards Platinum member, we assume you are getting the various communications about special offers and extra points etc.
We are therefore looking forward to have you as our loyal guest again very soon
All the best until then
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Check in experience... $90US for three days worth of slow as molasses internet. Broken elevator, doors open ¼ of the way so no other elevator will open. Just wait until another person comes down and that is your chance to go up to the room. Really????

The room? No A/C; it is only 80 in the room. Open your door and listen to the scooters honk all night long. Really refreshing!!

Mattress edge is about 2" higher than the rest. This is a VERY OLD mattress.

This is far from a Courtyard level hotel - 10 or 20 years ago. Skip it; don't worry about your points and find something that is a bit more "current" in all aspects.

2 Thank Michael K
Dear Michael
Thank you for your post here on Tripadvisor about our Renaissance Tel Aviv Beach hotel.
We keep a strict follow up with reviews posted as we feel we can learn from our guests.
There are comments we can improve on and others that can't be changed.
We noted your comments were written while still at the hotel and tried to contact you. Our Front Office Manager left you a voice message. We hoped to catch you in the morning prior to departure however you had already left at 2 am.

There are some comments that we needed clearing up and our hope was to better understand both sides and solve some of the issues you raised.
We shall definitely look into your comments. Please feel free to contact us directly to discuss further details so that we can find a mutual solution.

I apologize our Renaissance Hotel Tel Aviv Beach did not meet your expectations and would like you to give us another opportunity on your next visit.

Irvine, California
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I stay here simply for the points as I am a Platinum Premier Elite member and my colleagues are also. Stayed once at the intercontinental David hotel and it seemed much nicer than this Renaissance. It amazes me that in the USA the Renaissance brand is SO FAR SUPERIOR to those outside the USA. That seems to be a trend with Marriott properties, not sure about other hotel brands.

My "suite" room: narrow bathtub, barely-adjustable shower head, no thermostat, room temp feels like about 76 or 77 degrees (way too warm), illogical fan controls, low water pressure from sink, a knob in the bathroom with no label and apparently no function. Bed was fairly nice. About the only thing in the suite that does not look like it was installed in the 90's is the fairly new LCD TV. Of course, internet speeds are all over the map, usually average to below-average.

Concierge lounge: Poor layout of snacks and breakfast items, and a thermostat set to about 65 degrees, so I wind up quite cold trying to enjoy breakfast after practically sweating in my room all night.

Gym: Dirty and broken equipment, not very impressive.

Have not eaten in the hotel restaurants so can't comment on them.

Staff: Somewhat hit or miss, mostly friendly folks and capable.

Location: Pretty good at the beach. Some new bars and restaurants just opened on the boardwalk.

Overall just cannot recommend this place. Worst overall value I have experienced in a Marriott-branded property.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
HHCBrunoWolf, Leiter Öffentlichkeitsarbeit at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Dear KK
We apologize that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay at our Renaissance Tel Aviv hotel.
Please be assured that we have reviewed your comments seriously.
Your room on one of our top floors has not been renovated yet. We have new renovated rooms and are in the process of renovating all the rooms in the hotel.
There are plans to enlarge and upgrade our Club lounge sometime next year.
As a Marriott Rewards member, we highly recommend you to visit our website on a regular basis in order to keep updated with hotel news and attractive offers.
We certainly hope you will change your opinion and recommend our hotel as well as give us another chance to reinstate your faith in the Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel.
Sincerely yours,
Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Right on the beach with wonderful views! Great location for Shabbat. Of course, everything shuts down, but there were groups dancing just below our balcony made of all ages exuding great joy! Joppa is a mile's walk down the beach. The facility is definitely dated, and the food could have been better, but the beds were very comfortable and the staff worked to be accommodating. We stayed here 3 separate nights. My rating is based on location and the staff.

Room Tip: WE thought the rooms with the left side view of the beach were a little better.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends