“Average at Best”

Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #59 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Great location on the beach. Staff was helpful but did not go out of their way. Wifi is very slow and the daily sign in with new code is a pain. Executive lounge is the worst of any Marriott I have been to. Breakfast in the restaurant was very good, receptionist had best personality in the hotel. Gym is good, small but works and was clean. Room was clean. Have stayed here several times and I always walk away feeling like it could be so much better. Have stayed next door at Crown Plaza and was actually happier with room and stay but loyalty to Marriott keeps me going back,

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jon C
Aby H, Front Office Manager at Renaissance Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for your loyalty.
We are in an ongoing proccess of upgrading and renovating our public areas including the Executive lounge and Internet services and hope that they will meet your expectations. We will continue to do our best to provide our guests the personal, proffesional and warm service according to the Renaissance tradition.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

We love Renaissance hotels but this one was a miss. Tiny room that were run down and very poor customer service. I think this hotel has potential but currently run very poorly by management. They charged you for every little detail just tried to squeeze every dime out of you possible. Service was poor and the hotel run down
and dirty. There are lots of hotels in this area. I would chose wisely

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank WanderingFive
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel on business in April 2014. I have stayed at this hotel previously, and it looks to me that the hotel has improved upon its facilities since my last visit. This hotel should easily receive a four or five star review, but there were just too many small issues that made my stay unpleasant.

When I checked in, the hotel staff was less than welcoming. The person checking me in was not rude, but he was not warm either. It was a harbinger of things to come. I was made to sign a notice stating that my room was nonsmoking. I was happy to do so. What I was not happy about was the regular smell of cigarette smoke drifting into my room. What is the point of booking a nonsmoking room when I can smell cigarette smoke in my room? This was not a stale cigarette smell; it was the smell of a freshly lit cigarette. I tried to find the source of the smell, but I could not pinpoint it.

The hotel is located right on the beach with a fantastic boardwalk. The promenade has been expanded, and the walkway now extends to the north well past the group of hotels. Runners, walkers, and bicyclists use the walkway at all hours. I enjoyed seeing the cross-section of ages of people from families with small children all the way up to senior citizens. It is such a nice area. The boardwalk is also home to restaurants, food stands, and bars. The road in front of the hotel also leads to a large variety of restaurants, cafes, bars, shopping, etc. The hotel is in a really nice location.

The hotel also has a fitness center and swimming pool. Both are in very nice condition. The fitness center is a bit small but is functional for someone looking to get in a basic workout. The breakfast in the morning is very good. The staff is efficient, but they seem somewhat robotic. The exception is the lady greeting people as they enter the restaurant. She was there every morning I went down to breakfast, and she always greeted me with a smile and a "good morning." Upon my departure, she always made it a point to wish me well as I was leaving. She was the one staff member who came across as warm. The breakfast itself is a buffet with an egg station, fresh fruit, salads, breads, and some Middle East specialties. The restaurant is kosher, which means that they do not serve meat and dairy together. Since they serve cheese and milk at breakfast, they do not serve any meats. This is not simply a prohibition against pork but against all meats. They do, however, offer fish such as salmon and herring.

During my stay, I had a problem with cigarette smoke in my room, but I also had a problem with the cleaning staff. When I arrived, I had a robe in my room and two washcloths. After the first day, the first wash cloth was taken but not replaced. This was not a problem because I was by myself. The second day, both the second washcloth and the robe were taken and not replaced. I had been out most of the day and did not notice the missing items until evening. I did not bother to call the front desk to ask for replacements since I was checking out in the morning.

When I checked out, I felt the same coldness from the front desk person that seemed to receive upon check in and which seemed to characterize all my interactions at the hotel. I let the front desk person know how I felt, and he apologized. We continued our discussion, and I really believe that this hotel did not value me as a guest. On the contrary, I think they thought that I should be thanking them for the privilege of staying in their hotel. It really put me off. I let him know that I did not feel I owed him or his hotel any favors. Since my check-out, I have sent a message to Marriott letting them know how I feel. I generally have a very good experience with Marriott Hotel brands. I think they have a good system for hospitality. I think this hotel fall far short of the standard. If I were coming to Tel Aviv again, I would think long and hard before staying here again. Given my status with Marriott, I would probably be inclined to stay here again. If you are someone who has no need for hotel points and you just want to stay in a hotel near the beach, I would look at other neighboring hotels. This hotel is a bit expensive, and the way they treat their guests is a bit troubling in my opinion.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Excellent. Excellent service, Excellent sleep qualitiy, Excellent food, Excellent rooms, Excellent location- senter of the sity, Linked to the sea, Near the harbor.
Quiet and cozy atmosphere at the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for five days at the beginning of a recent two week trip and came back for another three days before returning home. I think that says it all! But to elaborate. Everything was superb from the helpful staff at reception, the bell captain and crew, the room service, the executive lounge, the incredible breakfast, the location right on the beach, and the easy walk to numerous good restaurants. The room on the first stay had a lovely southern view of the beach, the sea, and Jaffa. On the second visit, the view of the beach and sea was to the north. We preferred the first location as the balcony received sun most of the day, whereas it did not in the second room. But our stay was in April. In the summer, we would probably prefer the second room. Of great importance to us was the hotel's staff help in addressing my needs as a celiac. Their gluten-free bread rolls available on request at breakfast and served warm were delicious..

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed at the Renaissance for one night in January. Loved being on the shore of the Mediterranean! Walked down on the beach that night. Even though the sand was cool it was a beautiful place to be. Our room was spacious and gorgeous. Staff was very friendly and helpful. We ate the breakfast buffet the next morning....their creme brulee was out of this world! Really enjoyed our brief stay there.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed at the Renaissance for one week during Passover week and for the most part, enjoyed our stay. The negatives: rooms are small and need updating; lack of electric sockets so you needed to unplug a lamp and refrigerator to be able to charge our phones (no plugs in the bathroom either). The positives: right on the beach so you can go for a walk at any time; friendly and helpful staff (more follows); decent breakfast buffet that was included in the price.

After three restful nights, new neighbors moved to the room next door and they had a baby that cried throughout the night. We heard it as if it was coming from inside our room. We mentioned this to the front desk the next day and the manager immediately moved us to the club floor. There the room was slightly larger but more importantly, it was quiet. Greatly appreciated accommodating us.

Room Tip: All rooms have a terrace with sea view although some terraces are larger than others.