“Nice location and great breakfast terrace”
Review of Carlton Tel Aviv

Carlton Tel Aviv
Ranked #25 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
London, United Kingdom
“Nice location and great breakfast terrace”
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Rooms are average - quite nice but dont blow you away. I had a sea view but no balcony which was quite a disappointment. Reception very funky and modern and a great breakfast terrace - overlooking the marina - great choice, good coffee and could have sat there all day. Executive lounge also good

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 14 November 2011

The hotel is long due for renovation, but they still call themselves 5* and charge $350 per night. Half of the cupboards don't close, furniture scratched and worn carpet in the rooms is better suited for a 3*. The only restaurant in the hotel was closed for some convention and the only option to have a dinner in the hotel was in the lobby bar. The worst part is that there are some repair works going on at the 6th floor, and the noise from the machinery (perforation equipment) is drumming on you ears all day long, so if you plan to spend any time in the rooms other than at nighttime, stay away from Carlton. If you have any other options to stay in Tel Aviv, avoid Carlton at all costs.

Room Tip: If you must stay there (strongly not recommended), try upper floors - otherwise the noise from below...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Gregory T
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 13 November 2011

We spent a long weekend here as a big family and were taken care of like royalty. A special mention must go to the hospitable F&B manager Mr. Yossi Navy who took care of our every need through 3 generations of our family with creative solutions for all. The rooms are comfortable and adequate, of course the higher you go, the better it gets. The Biz Lounge is small and quiet, the roof pool offers a stunning view of tel Aviv or the sea, and the hotel is located in a perfect spot for walking down south to Jaffa or strolling around the Tel Aviv Port are to the north. The highlight is the generous Israeli buffet breakfast which is located outside of the hotel in a special spot with a view of the marina and an endless blue sea. Service was adequate, rooms offered value for money and the overall atmosphere was very welcoming. A charming Tel aviv experience

Room Tip: Ask for full sea view, prices were definetely negotiable and if view is not a big deal, ask for one...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Vanessa R
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Room,service and food was good.
Small lounge was not attractive to sit during the evenings
Executive lounge only opens at 09:00 in the morning
I underestood that rooms will be renovated starting Jan 2012

Room Tip: Book a room with seaview!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 11 November 2011

Hotel is fine. Very friendly and receptive staff. Great food and excellent breakfast.
Two problems:
1. Hotel is charging $22 per day for a wi-fi which I find to be outrageous. I felt being taken advantage of since being a traveller did not leave me with too many choices.
2. The rooms facing the tunel in the back are very noisy at night because of an echo.
Again staff is great. Very nice and friendly people. They put me in a different room right away.
Thank you!

• Stayed November 2011
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 November 2011

I will start with the good. Overall, this is a lovely hotel, comfortable rooms, and good location with generally good service by the lower ranked staff... But.....
The managers are liars. Yes, liars. We stayed there as part of a group of 40 people for just under a week for our wedding, and I stayed in a delux room on floor 7 for the 3 nights before the actual wedding. We all went out nightly as you do, as young people in Tel Aviv till 4-5 am. At 9am bang bang bang, drill drill drill. Only 4 hours sleep... We called down to reception to complain. The staff simply said sorry, we will see what is happening. Of course it continued all morning even though we complained every 10 minutes. My parents were furious as they could not relax at all. Not only that but many of our friends staying in other rooms called to complain but the noise kept going on all morning. It was deafening. Staff just apologised blindly telling people sorry we will see what is going on. The hotel knew full well that major renovations we're going on but decided to lie to everyone about it. We know this because the maids told us when we asked them and said it was going on for a while now, every day starting at 9am apart from Saturdays (the Jewish Sabbath). Stupidly we went out again late forgetting about the morning 'wake up call'. Next day the same. 9am, bang bang boom boom. I called down again same thing... I demanded to speak to the manager on duty. He finally admitted that 'some' renovations were going on and promised me the next day they would start only at midday so we could all go out late and sleep in. Of course that was a lie, next day 9am boom boom boom. It was my wedding day and I was going to get married later that day completely tired and with red eyes due to the liars at this hotel. Again I went down and complained once again to another duty manager to ask him to stop the noise. Nothing but a lifting of his eyebrows saying its not his fault and a decision of higher management and he would see would he could do (nothing apparently as the noise continued for a further 5 hours). From the stress I stood outside, and asked the bell boy for one of his cigarettes, he told me (sorry Mr. bell boy – I know it was supposed to be in confidence) that the upper hotel management decided not to tell guests there is renovations so people will still book at this hotel, and also, so they don’t leave after just 1 night and go elsewhere so the official line to give guests was to pretend that they don't know anything and it must be a one off work on fixing a room or something. I hate liars and do not appreciate paying for a 24 hour room, when I can only sleep for just 4 hours a night, three nights in a row. If I knew there would be morning renovations starting at 9am, Of course we would have booked our 20 rooms in another hotel. We could not even relax in our rooms after breakfast seeing as teh work continued into early afternoon. The Carlton knew this, but took away our free choice by clearly making a commercial decision to keep the hotel full at the regular room rates but at the risk of some unhappy clients. Was this financially wise long term? I don't think so... I guess they were hoping for old grannies who go to sleep at 10 and wake up at 7 and not a wedding party full of twenties and thirty something's who want to have fun and go out late. Well let me tell you this... Very bad commercial decision because not only will all of us (and every other guest who I spoke to at the hotel it seems) not be back, many people reading this review will never come too. No one likes hotels with liar management that clearly put full rooms in a higher stead than happy customers. We gave this hotel a chance, we complained daily, we even emailed the general manager Jimmy Zohar and ccd all his associates, we thought that we may get our money back or at least have a written apology, but as he has ignored our letter we have decided to let the world know. There were also other things such as mistakes in room allocations and no suite as promised for the wedding day so they bride can get ready with her bridesmaids. This experience nearly ruined our wedding which otherwise went very well. After my wedding night I moved in with my wife to teh royal floor and the noise was not so bad but all guests downstairs were still complaining. My suggestion, if you have a choice, stay at the Dan, Intercontinental or Sheraton. Same prices, probably no liars... Dear Mr Zohar, if you wish to contact me directly with a sincere apology and something to reimburse us with you still can kingdoz@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Stay on a high room as possible, especially if they are still doing renovation work. The lounge upst...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank Kingdoz
Carlton_Tel_Aviv, Guest Relations Manager at Carlton Tel Aviv, responded to this review, 14 November 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We take great pride in our location with beautiful sea views from our guest rooms, and we appreciate your positive comments regarding these aspects of your stay.

Urgent renovations have been taking place over the past 2 weeks and we are sorry that these have left you with a negative view of our hotel. The works which have been undertaken are not major renovations. We hope that you will return in the future to enjoy the comfort of our facilities that we are proud of here.
Kind Regards
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 4 November 2011

perfect location, including nice running route. Fine breakfast in a separate building al fresco on seashore. Fairly expensive but biz lounge etc was worth it.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business