“A fancy hotel filled with disappointment” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Carlton Tel Aviv

Carlton Tel Aviv
Ranked #30 of 98 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Daly City, California
“A fancy hotel filled with disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013 via mobile

What can I say about this hotel? It looks beautiful and modern and is situated on a beach. However, I've had one disappointment after another here.

I came here with a Hadassah tour group. They picked the hotel. When we were told to identify our luggage with stickers but the luggage handlers snapped at me telling me to stay away and wait.

Then I go to get the room key. We were told many times the bed would be separated since I'm staying with my mom. We were assured. I get there and guess what, the beds are still together and one of the lamps was collapsed. I called down, twice, and it takes almost twenty minutes for someone to come and correct this and another ten easily for the lamp to be fixed. Why would they stick us in a room with a broken lamp is beyond me and why would they lie about the beds?

I ask for compensation for this headache since it's eating up my time. I have to request compensation, it wasn't offered, so I asked for the internet and gym, and after me calling them several times, including the front desk girl giving me attitude, they granted it.

All seems well but we had to be advised where the light was behind the bed and how to keep the electricity on because no one explained that in advance. The lighting is very unintuitive. The food in the morning was good for the breakfast buffet and then we get back in the afternoon.

Despite having the clean my room tag up no one came by. I had to call the front desk asking why no one cleaned the room. They said they didn't read the record to see the checkout was in the evening with the group and they had to send someone up to clean, which took at least fifteen minutes for him to get there so forget about resting before travel.

As for the gym, I'm not sure what you're paying for. There are five cardio machines and a weight rack and an all-in-one machine. I've seen much better free gyms. Definitely not worth the cost. You'd get a better workout running on the boardwalk which is prettier too. At least the wifi is fast.

So this place looks good from the outside but the customer service has much room to improve, especially some (note: not all) of the front desk people with severe attitude problems.

I'd advise trying a different hotel until they can sort out the customer service issues and changeover the disrespectful staff.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jenssey
Jeremy S, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Tel Aviv, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear jenssey,

We were disappointed by your experience at the Carlton Tel Aviv.
We have reviewed your commentary and this has been forwarded onto our management team.
At the Carlton Tel Aviv we pride ourselves on ensuring that our staff provides the very best levels of customer care and professionalism.
We hope to see you back at the Carlton Tel Aviv in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Warrington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

Well we came here in summer, had such a great time, we needed to come back for my husbands birthday in September.

Twas Yom Kippur but the hotel staff COULD HAVE NOT helped us more... Making sure we were Fed, watered with any expense out of their mind to look after us.

We were upgraded ( and I know they can't do that for everyone in season) but it's the little things....

Although we couldn't keep our upgraded room on day of departure they arranged for another room for the whole of the day.

Staff which definitely need a mention - Jeremy (beyond exception) and all at reception - we have travelled a bit - you were so helpful and extra accomodating. The pool attendants - you were awesome men in looking out for the kids (we don't have kids).

( tip - if you can't be bothered to keep a watching eye on your OWN kids in the pool go somewhere else, cause they probably don't need that hassle - they are not in anyway stroppy, just care a lot for child safety)

And as for the lovely Gal (( Gal - contact us cause Ade has ordered your music but doesn't know where to send it??)) she is like a little breath of sunshine?

Well done Carlton for recruiting and keeping her!

The only recommendation I can honestly give you for this hotel is that when we come back to Tel Aviv ....I don't ever think we will stay anywhere ever again!! FAB!!!!!!!!

Please feel free to contact us and we'll tell you more

Ade & Karen from Warrington UK

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MildersWarrington
Dear MildersWarrington,

Thank you for your very kind review regarding your 2 recent stays with us. We are so pleased that you chose to stay with us and that you have now chosen the Carlton as your home in Tel Aviv. We are already looking forward to welcoming you again!
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I am writing this review while waiting for our room to be ready. We arrived in Tel Aviv and were to be greeted by a car and driver sent by the Carlton. No one was there. This was despite a call I made last night to the concierge at the Carlton confirming the pickup. When I arrived at the hotel the front desk person demanded that I produce the confirmation of the pickup. Since we we were already at the hotel I wasn't sure why that was necessary but I ultimately found it. I also mentioned (and gave a copy of the confirmation) that the hotel was to arrange a private tour to Jerusalem for tomorrow. Again there was no record of this despite my showing the confirmation. We were told that our room would be ready in 30 minutes. So far it's been 60 minutes and no sign of the room. I inquired about the gym hours and was told that the hotel would waive the daily $10 fee for the gym. I said "that's good because I would refuse to pay it". For $500 per night they are charging an extra $10 to use the gym. The hotel staff member defended this by saying "I was just in the US and the charged extra for the Gym." I am not sure what that has to do with anything but I sure hope the rest of the stay here goes more smoothly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Robert K
Dear Robert K,

Thank you for taking the time to review your comments on trip advisor and I have passed on all relevant information to our management team to review.

I was pleased to learn that the rest of your stay (after the time of this review) was a pleasant and successful one and hope that on your next visit to Israel you will return to us once again.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We spent a few days at the newly refurbished Carlton Hotel in Tel Aviv. We had been there ten years ago, and the changes are incredible. The positives about the hotel are the location on the Tel Aviv seafront promenade, and the service- which from top to bottom was truly first rate. The staff at the restaurant on the 2nd floor should be singled out as unfailingly helpful and polite, whatever the request. The rooftop pool is amazing- again, the service around the pool was top notch. And the room amenities, particularly the fresh fruit and chocolate upon arrival, were all wonderful. If you stay on the Royal floor and have access to the lounge, that's an added perk. The only reasons I didn't give the hotel the highest rating are the room sizes and the slight seediness of this particular stretch of the promenade. As I said, the hotel was recently remodeled, and the room are fairly tiny- there is not much that can be done about that. We stayed in a one bedroom suite, which was made by removing what had been a connecting door to the second bedroom, which left two rooms separated by an open doorway in a kind of odd way. The bedroom itself was tiny- the chair next to the bed was very comfortable, but there was simply no room for it in the room which made its placement awkward. The working desk was placed right at the open doorway, so it didn't allow for any privacy or quiet if one person was trying to relax in bed while the person at the desk was working/on the phone. There was a TV in the second room which faced the desk, not the couches, which was also awkward. As an added oddity, there were no bedside lamps, just hanging lights, that, although attractive, didn't allow for bedtime reading by one person (the lights were either both on or off, and only one side of the bed had the on/off switch). Just another bizarre touch to the room. Lastly, the particular stretch of the promenade that the hotel is on has a somewhat seedy element. There was a faint urine scent detectable from the outside of the hotel, and homeless people were sleeping on the benches opposite the hotel near the beach front. Perhaps not much can be done about that, but it is one of the reasons I couldn't give the Carlton the highest rating I would have like to.

Room Tip: Beach views are the best, of course. The hotel rooms begin on the 6th floor. Our room on the 8th fl...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear chookoo57,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, here on Tripadvisor. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us overall. Your comments regarding the suite have been passed on to our maintenance team in order to help us improve the experience for our future guests, although we were somewhat surprised to learn that you found the rooms to be small since they are amongst the largest of rooms in Tel Aviv hotels. We very much hope that we will see you again amongst our guests in the future.
Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We really had a great relationship with the staff. Extremely helpful and friendly. The view(s)are spectacular, including sunset. Great food and buffets.
We were surprised for the Internet charge. In much cheaper hotels it is complimentary.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Igor P,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Carlton Tel Aviv and hope that you will visit us again in the near future. With regards to the WIFI charge, as has been mentioned in previous reviews, our rates are significantly lower than in other surrounding properties, but your comments have been passed on to our management team.

We hope to see you again in the near future.
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed many time in this hotel for business, I always found an excellent relationship with the hotel staff. It is wonderful to make the breakfast really in front of the beach with a lot of food choices.
The rooms are large, very clean and modern, I like it both with sea view or city view!
The only remark that I made is that they are not flexible in case of early return, in fact last time they charge the last night that I cancelled. This kind of elasticity is very important for business travel and it could force me to select another hotel next time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear andy_us1111,

It is always our pleasure to have you as our guest at the Carlton. With regards to cancellation charges, we always do our very best to be as flexible as possible with cancellations, but sometimes it is simply not possible for us to waive the fees, which is common with almost every hotel around the world. We very much hope that you will return to us on your future business (and pleasure) trips.
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

What a wonderful surprise to come upon this hotel! Perfectly situated on the ocean with a unbelievable views, buffet breakfast on the beach, immaculate rooms, i was on the 13th, and a rooftop swimming pool that is spectacular!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jeremy S, Public Relations Manager at Carlton Tel Aviv, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear glenn g,

Thank you very much for your review. We were delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very proud of all of our facilities and are pleased that you enjoyed them as well.

We hope that you will continue to choose the Carlton Tel Aviv for your future visits to Israel.