“Good Value”

Leonardo Beach Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #64 of 102 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Really good check in staff, the room was clean but rather small – especially the bathroom which is exceptionally small. The rooms are cleaned by friendly if rather too enthusiastic cleaning staff - **tip – if you don’t want a knock on the door before 8am asking whether you want your room cleaned, put out the ‘do not disturb’ sign.
The breakfasts, as others have commented are very good, my only slightly negative comment being that despite the variety of fare offered, there was little or no variation to what was being offered day to day – after a two week stay this can become a bit boring.
We had one (Friday night Shabbat) meal in the hotel – absolutely superb, if a tad expensive.
As others have also said, very close to both the beach and also to 2 main shopping streets, Dizengoff and Ben Yehuda, all of which offer good places to eat. The location also offers a very welcome sea breeze and (in July at least) spectacular sunsets over the sea just across the road.
The atmosphere in this ‘boutique’ (‘hotelspeak’ for small!!) hotel was very pleasant particularly around the pool and terrace areas where it was very easy to make acquaintances and simply sit and chat. The downside was the outdoor furniture – the sunbeds which I noticed were made in Spain, could have been designed by Torquemada himself – not just in terms of their age (they were long past their ‘sell by date’) but the fact that they were tortuously uncomfortable. We did notice a couple wandering around with tape measures on our last day, so this issue might well be being addressed.
The pool itself was very clean and safe – a permanent life guard, cool water (it’s in shadow for much of the day) and surrounding AstroTurf makes this a very nice pool to swim in. Likewise the adjacent shower and toilet facilities are impeccably clean.
I was asked at breakfast to give feedback about the hotel and in addition to mentioning all of the above I was asked about the ‘maintenance’ of the hotel. One night we were woken to the sound of running water in our room – the air con unit in the next door room had for some reason malfunctioned and we had water pouring into our room – in fairness to them though, everything was sorted out within hours and there was no re-occurrence of this.
One further tip – when taking a taxi always refer to this simply as the ‘Basel Hotel’ – there are several other Leonardo hotels in Tel Aviv one of which is in the similarly sounding Habarzel Street.
As a very experienced traveller, I am well aware of the maxim ‘you get what you pay for’. All in all this was a good experience and good value for money.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the side road (those facing the elevators) The morning refuse collections a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Martin C

Reviewed 1 August 2013

I was in the Leonardo for 11 nights. The location (right across the street for the beaches in Tel Aviv) was fantastic. Two blocks from Ben Yehuda street with shops, restaurants, supermarkets, laundry, etc.! The breakfast at the hotel was fantastic. There were a tremendous amount of options with typical Israeli food, along with an omelet station, fresh breads, great fruit and an extremely courteous staff.
I would certainly recommend this hotel to others who plan to visit.

Room Tip: We had a view of the sea. I recommend it. Adds to the value of staying there.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ken B
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

I arrived here after several trips in Israel. I did not have a good impression at the beggining.
After I made
A formal
Complainment to Merav the manager, things improved drastically. Today I can say I like this Hotel because at least somebody listened to my suggestions and I will sure recommend Herods Tel Aviv!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank lilianraicher
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We used the hotel as a place to hang out while waiting for our post-midnight flights out of Israel. The hotel served this purpose well enough. Our room was tiny, but it didn't really matter, and there was very little water flowing from the bathroom faucets. But again, it didn't really matter. The hotel is a block from the beach (where the water is filled with plastic detritus). The small swimming pool at the side of the hotel was a nice place to splash about and wash off whatever we might have picked up in the Mediterranean. The dinner buffet was fine with excellent desserts.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My wife and I were in Tel Aviv for 3 nights with my teenage daughter and teenage niece visiting from the USA. We live in Haifa. The staff arranged that we had adjoining rooms connected by a door at a quiet end of the hall on the 4th floor. My niece is religious, so it was important that the hotel is kosher. We bought tickets for erev shabbat supper, but they were not serving shabbat lunch. This was no problem since breakfast was included and runs until 11:00 on shabbat. The food is better than some other hotels where we have paid more. Unlike some nearby hotels, you have to cross a busy street to get to Gordon beach, but this is not a problem. It took me 7 minutes to get from my room to the beach. The hotel has a small popular pool that we didn't use, but we used their towels at the beach. The pool has areas of sun and shade. The whole scene is family friendly. Although there were many young adults, there's not the hot he'ing and she'ing that you can find at a nearby hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank JA_Kennedy_11
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed 8 days with my daughter in the Basel, nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff. The rooms may be a little bit small but as we didn't spend much time there it really didn't matter. All the staff are extremely helpful, especially tal and itay. We would definitely return and would recommend this hotel to our friends. :)

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Laurence S
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Although the Basel is not the plushest of hotels, it is clean, friendly and is excellent value for money. It is situated a very short walk from the beach and a five minute walk to the main shopping area. There is a nice pool with sunloungers which is clean and well maintained. The staff are very helpful and could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable and comfortable. The breakfasts were delicious with a huge choice of tasty and well prepared food. I will definitely stay at the Basel again without any hesitation and would recommend it to friends and family alike.

Room Tip: When booking we asked for a quieter room. The view wasn't great but the room was quiet and we b...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple