“Nice location but Staff needs some improvement”

Cinema Hotel Tel Aviv - an Atlas Boutique Hotel
Ranked #22 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Fairview, Texas
“Nice location but Staff needs some improvement”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Great location for getting to know Tel Aviv. Walk to shops, shopping center and beach.

Stayed two nights and first day's staff was just unconcerned that our room was warm and not cooling and vents had to be pried open with our pens.

Second day, after demanding cooler room, interested staff "discovered" the whole hotel had an AC problem. Got it fixed late second day and someone came to room and fixed the vents.

First day's staff needs some training in customer relations and concerns!

Room Tip: Our room was interior and somewhat smaller due to a cut off corner but was probably quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The room was small but very clean. we enjoyed the stay in tel aviv very much. the people from the cinema hotel are very polite and always in a good mood. the breakfast was awsome, one of the best we ve seen in israel.

1 Thank Simon M
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed 6 nights at the Cinema Hotel and it was a wonderful experience. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The breakfasts were exquisite. The beds were very comfortable and you simply can't beat the location. At the Cinema, you're close to everything in Tel Aviv. Restaurants to fit all budgets are within easy walking distance, as well as coffee shops and stores. The beach is also close. The hotel itself is a renovated movie theater and it is done in very good taste. The hotel staff helped us with everything from arranging tours to providing bus and train schedules. This hotel is an excellent option for anyone wanting to visit Tel Aviv.

Room Tip: There are blast doors on all of the windows if you wish to block out any noises that might bother yo...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

This hotel is close to the beach, has an interesting décor, excellent breakfast but lies close to a busy intersection and noisy outside music. We stayed 3 nights in a room facing the street and in our opinion the noise level was too high (double pane windows should be installed). The second time we stayed we had asked for a quiet room and got a room on the fifth floor right under the rooftop AC unit. Good hotel but know where your room is located

1 Thank Jacobus M
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I recently spent six nights at the Cinema Hotel in connection with business and conference participation in Tel Aviv. The conference organizer had chosen this hotel as four of the speakers, myself included were C-level executives who needed first-class wifi.

To start with the good things, this hotel has the best ambience of any boutique hotel I have ever visited. A wonderful collection of photographic and cinema memorabilia is displayed throughout the hotel - even the rooms have lucite boxes hanging from the ceiling containing antique cameras etc.

Although my room was quite small, it was quite practical and featured a coffee-maker, which I very much appreciated.

The downside is that some basic amenities, such as a washcloth, were not available. The safe was not big enough to contain a laptop. And my curtains had to be kept drawn as the layout of the hotel is such that guests in glass hallways on other levels could look in (my room, 220, faced an internal atrium). The rooms are not very soundproof either.

Cleaning of the room was remarkably spotty. Sometimes there was a bag in the trash can, othertimes not. Twice, the bathroom appeared to have been ignored (no replacement shampoo, no new towels, a toothpaste drip on the floor).

The biggest problem, though, was the wifi. Although the signal throughout the hotel is superb, the carrier providing the wifi service is about the worst I have ever encountered. Not only did the service log one out constantly, but the bandwidth was so poor, even basic functionality, such as Gmail, couldn't load properly. Forget about getting online during the late afternoon; even at 1AM, it took me over an hour to answer two mails. In fact, the longest uninterrupted period I was able to stay online was less than 10 minutes.

I spoke to the front desk at one point to ask if this was a common problem. Apparently this was a daily complaint. The extremely service-minded desk-clerk, introduced me to Pini, the hotel manager, so that I might explain my problem. Pini quickly assured me that the signal in my room was just fine (which it was - the problem lies with the hotel's ISP). Since I was about to check out, I figured it wasn't worth the effort to pursue this further as Pini was clearly taking this complaint very personally. I went back to my room to finish packing.

Five minutes later, Pini knocked on my door and again assured me that the signal was just fine and pulled out a phone to show me the quality of the wifi reception. I tried once again to explain that it was NOT the hotel's fault, but that they needed to change providers if they wanted to appeal to business guests. In very short order, Pini got mad and proceeded to tell me to stop drinking, get some coffee, and when I sobered up, to talk with him again. He then stormed off. I was absolutely stunned by this insulting behavior as this was the middle of the afternoon and I was sober as a judge. I was also slightly amused as I had been invited to Israel to lecture on service design for the hospitality and related industries.

Anyway, I will not be revisiting this hotel. My experience left me with a very poor impression.

Room Tip: Try and avoid an inside room facing the atrium.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank ericreiss
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I stayed at the Cinema Hotel twice - at the beginning and the end of my trip in Israel. The first time the room was in the back, very basic, comfortable bed but to be honest not much more than that. The second time my room was at the front with a terrace. It was so much nicer. The rooms design and decorations were much nicer. I had to work so I worked on the terrace and had a great time. The staff is friendly. The breakfast is very basic, tasty though there are not a lot so be sure not to arrive at the last minute!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great location, in the city center, hotel with well refurbished rooms, original bathroom with 2 showers, decoration in the spirit of the cinema, great staff to help customers.
Parking difficult to find with the GPS, ask the hotel before hand on the street to use

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family