“Far from 5 star but overall good experience.”
Review of Dan Tel Aviv Hotel

Dan Tel Aviv Hotel
Ranked #46 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Harlow, United Kingdom
“Far from 5 star but overall good experience.”
Reviewed 14 January 2011

Starting with the good: freindly staff, good breakfast, superb location. The swimming pool and jacuzzi are great - probably the only hotel in Tel Aviv with indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi. Overall I give the 4 stars.
To continue with the bad side, there are a few things I simply don`t understand:
1. at breakfast they have great freshly squeezed orange juice - but only on request, don`t ask me why...
2. despite the fact that my company spends there tens of thousands of dollars every month they put me in the room with a "great" view: a wall in 2 meters distance!!
3. I forgot to bring my razor so I needed one: they don`t have any shaving equipment! In Europe it is standard in almost every 4 and 5 star hotel...
Other than that it was ok. It is certainly not a 5 star hotel though, the only place where you think it`s a 5 star hotel is the price of the items in the minibar... Simply ridiculous... I`d call it simply robbery.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2011
Dear Sir,
We first wish to thank you for the positive feedback pertaining to the hotel's staff and athletic facilities.
However, we would like to shed some light on some of the feedback you gave. Being a 5 star hotel, we prefer to personally serve the freshly squeezed orange juice to guests, as opposed to having guests serve themselves. This would be a lack in elegance and service on our part.
Moreover, in regards to the razors, we were unable to understand why you were unable to receive one upon request, as we carry Shaving Kits at the Reception Area.
We wish to apologize if you have felt inconvenienced in any way and hope to see you in the very near future.
The Guest Relations Department

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
London,UK
Reviewed 10 January 2011

I've been staying at this hotel at least once a year for the last 10 years. It is time to find an alternative accommodation! The annoyances started when we arrived at the hotel. We pulled up with the car and there was no one to greet us and help unload the luggage for at least 20 minutes.
We checked in Dec 27 through Jan 4th. We were at Dan Eilat from Dec 28th-Jan 1st.

Our fist night at Dan TA was awful. We booked two rooms and requested for them to be connecting. We were given rooms 664 and 665. One main door from the hallway and then two separate rooms.
1. problem was door from hallway leading into both rooms did not lock.
2. If we kept our bedroom doors open the air con would not turn on. This was a problem for my daughter who could't walk freely into the different rooms without using a key.
3. The rooms were tiny.
4. Fire alarm went off in the morning. Lots if people coming into the hallway in PJ's and wondering if this was real or to go back to bed.
We did complain and said since it was one night we would leave it but please change the connecting type rooms for our return which would be Jan 1 2011.

Eilat was fine, no big complaints there. Oh and also at Dan Tel Aviv they never told us our Dan points expire every two years so we can't even count how many we lost. Dan Eilat told us and we used them towards meals and it was great!

We now return to TA and again, I drove up in front and absolutely no one comes out to help with luggage. I ask security and he calls someone. At this point i left the car to use the bathrooms. Come back and still the trunk is open but no one is there.
This time we were given two different rooms. I start to think it was going to be a pleasant stay.
Ok there was no problem with the connecting rooms this time. Everything else was awful!
1. Bed was against the wall with windows above so you can hear the traffic. When I mentioned this to guest relations she said "there is triple glazing" so I reply I must have supersonic hearing.
2. Alarm went off again in the late afternoon. My 82 year old mother-in-law had to walk down 7 flights of steps. In the stairways the housekeeping stores food trays and full bags of garbage. We literally had climb over these things.
3. Front desk did not smile and said "they have a great record (alarms only go off once a month)" she had travelled and stayed in a Sheraton and the alarm would go off daily. I replied "that's funny cause it went off on the morning of Dec 28th. If i wanted a Sheraton I would have stayed two doors down! I was hoping you considered your hotel brand above that." It would have been much better to have just said oh I'm terribly sorry there must be some kind of fault.
4. I asked for King David Lounge access and the gentleman at the desk said he would check and let me know. Well the hotel had agreed but never let us know!
5. Internet, I knew they charged additional so that's not a problem. The problem is that is was only working intermittently.
6. At breakfast I wanted toast. I was told they don't have toast!
Overall not a hotel with the service of what you would expect from a 5* property!

• Stayed December 2010
5 Thank tthlady
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2011
Dear Madam,
After reading your comments, we wish to sincerely apologize for the incidents you were faced with.
Guest's satisfaction is something that the Dan Tel Aviv Hotel takes very seriously. Your comments have not been posted in vain, as we will be reviewing them thoroughly.
All mentioned issues have been forwarded to the relevant managers.
Having been a returning guest of ours for the last 10 years, we sincerely hope that you will give us another opportunity.
Should you decide to return, it will be a pleasure to make your stay a wonderful one.
The Dan Tel Aviv Hotel
Tel Aviv
Reviewed 5 January 2011

t

The Dan has one of the best staff of attentive workers we have ever seen. Starting from Lior Cohen of guest room relations to Ilan who seemed to work every morning to make breakfast great to the smiles and attention of the girls working the lounge and breakfast we were never without service and SMILES.
The concierge knows everything and what the staff don't know is not worth knowing.
We enjoyed a wonderful 12 days at the Dan and highly recommend the hotel to everyone for a delightful carefree vacation.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Deerfield, Illinois
Reviewed 5 January 2011

My wife and I just stayed here twice for 2 nights within the past 2 weeks. On our recent stay, Jan 2 -4th, we checked in after 5 PM and were told that the room they planned to assign us was not ready. We reluctantly went to the room they had ready, # 666. I had never seen a room where the head of the bed was directly against the wall underneath the outside windows. It was smaller than the room we had stayed in a week prior. We returned to the lobby and were given #757 which was identical to the previous room we had stayed in. No explanation was given to explain why we weren't given this room in the first place, the clerk smiled but wouldn't give an answer. This was the beginning of the worst hotel experience we've had in 40 years. The heat/AC did not work properly. The sink drain was stuck closed. The 24 hour Internet service worked intermittently and access was denied after 23 hours. When Internet was available we discovered they had swiped our credit card at check in and charged us $335 for a prepaid room, which we will dispute until remedied. Through all of these problems every staff member and manager would smile at us and not follow through to solve problems. Our full day (3rd) was disrrupted by having to spend hours dealing with unresponsive staff and the 3rd party Internet service provider. An Assistant GM, Gal Weiner, offered to compensate us with free meals and access to the executive lounge-privileges which meant nothing to us. In silence without a knock on the door or a face-to-face conversation, someone slipped an envelope for a free dinner under our door after 7 PM, just adding to the insult. We awoke at 3 AM yesterday to check out as quickly as we could and catch our flight home. The room was freezing, no heat. I went to the bathroom to wash and clean my teeth and was greeted by a cockroach crawling out from behind my dop kit. I posted pictures, you may not wish to view. The desk manager told us our cab ride to the airport was prepaid by the hotel in front of the driver, and of course he shook us down at the airport. I will say that our 5 night stay at the King David was most excellent, but Dan Tel Aviv is an awfully horrid place with the most arrogant lack of service, sensibility to guests' needs, cleanliness, working infrastructure, and food I wouldn't serve to a pet.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Charles043
Dear Sir,
We first wish to thank you for sharing your experience at the Dan Tel Aviv Hotel with us. We see such comments as learning tools, continuously allowing us to improve and grow.
As we understood, your first stay went well. However, we sincerely apologize for any incident that occurred during your second stay.
You mentioned some points in your feedback of the hotel, which we would like to address. The first is in regards to room 666. This room, of the Deluxe category, is in high demand, as it is completely renovated and well-equipped. Furthermore, you mentioned having stayed in a better room during your first stay. Both rooms you have stayed in belong to the same category, have been renovated, and are of the same dimensions.
The other point, which we would like to mention, is in regards to the hotel's food. Although you have deemed it below your expectations, most guests compliment our food, even asking for recipes to certain dishes.
We hope that you will choose to give the Dan Tel Aviv Hotel another chance upon your next visit to Tel Aviv.
The Dan Tel Aviv Hotel
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Very comfortable accommodations in a great area. Spacious rooms. Great breakfast. Across from the beach. Comfortable work space.

Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 29 December 2010

My wife and I had a wonderful week's stay at Dan Tel Aviv. I have stayed there several times for both business and pleasure. It is a classy hotel with excellent service, warm and friendly personnel and atmosphere, a fantastic location at the beach and at walking distance to the shopping and restaurants at Dizengoff Street. I go to Tel Aviv frequently and will certainly stay here again.

Istanbul
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights, and I will be quite critical about the value for money perspective. I have registered as E-Dan customer to have the best room available and any advantages. The room they offered looked in doors without much view to the sea. They did not provide any other alternative among hundreds of rooms. They wanted to keep it short, as "sorry this is the only room available". It is one of the largest buildings in the city! There is only one restaurant with a limited menu, and poor decoration, not giving any appetite to sit long.
They do not allow to enter the open buffet if you have not booked half board, even if you are willing to pay the extra charge, they are not welcome on that. They do their best to save the meals to the half boarders. I found the attitude not positive.
Concierge is there within working hours, and in the evening security may provide false direction on the address you are showing. Taxis in front of the hotel have no navigation so make sure you know where you are going.
Reception has no clue about outside restaurants to eat. They give on the surface answers. This is not quite helpful in a Hebrew intensive city.
My bathroom was small but okey, they kept it poor on the variety and quality of toiletories. I recommend them to supply quality products (like Ahava) instead of "no name" lotions, shampoos..etc.
There is no coffee/tea making facility, and only 1 bottle of small water is free during the stay. This is too stingy for a "5 star" hotel.
Bed, pillows, TV, light controls, breakfast, silence are all good however any other hotel could have this. Luxury shows itself in the extra services.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
DanHotelsIsrael, Manager at Dan Tel Aviv Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2011
Dear Sir,

We first wish to thank you for submitting your comments. These are of high importance to us, as they contribute greatly to the Dan Tel Aviv's growth.
Ensuring our guests' satisfaction is our highest priority. Therefore, we wish to apologize for your disappointment in regards to certain aspects of the Reception and Food & Beverage Departments.
Please note that your comments have been seriously noted and will be forwarded to the relevant department heads.
In regards to membership to the E-Dan Club, it gives you eligibility to a room upgrade. However, this benefit is solely based upon availability. Being in the holiday period, the hotel is at full capacity.
It will be our pleasure to welcome you back to the Dan Tel Aviv Hotel.