“Great location, missing atmosphere”
Review of Hayarkon 48 Hostel

Hayarkon 48 Hostel
Dortmund
“Great location, missing atmosphere”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

Directly located next to the beach and in walking distance to the city center, the location couldn't be better. Unfortunately it's missing atmosphere. I wouldn't consider it as a party hostel. You don't get in touch with other people easily, because the community rooms are aweful!

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
H48, General Manager at Hayarkon 48 Hostel, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Hi Redickization, thank you for your review we appreciate it.
We are sad to read your comment, we are very proud of our common areas at the ground floor and the rooftop and the balconies at the floors. We always wish for them to be the place to meet other travellers, make friends or just get some tips for your following day. We will defiantly use your comment to improve.
Hope to see you again and give you the 100% Tel Aviv and hostel life experience we always do.
Kind regards, Hayarkon 48

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Yes this is a 'party hostel', It's noisy - bring earplugs or expect little sleep

The dorms are very basic - there's beds in them and not much more - with too many beds in each dorm, there's hardly any space to store luggage etc. In dorm nr 33 there is 1 (one) electrical outlet for five persons to share.

It's still a hostel worth considering. Great location and friendly staff that will help you out with just about anything

Showers and toilets are kept clean, and there's soap for handwash (appreciated!)

All in all, a fully acceptable budget option. I think travellers has seen both better and worse hostels in this pricerange.

Room Tip: Dont expect much of the dorms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The level of interaction in this hostel is down.
The vib is dull and the staff are on Facebook, making me thing that they have better things to do engaging with the customer.
Now I found that customers don't socialize much with each other, especially during breakfast hours. You walk in the kitchen room disoriented because you don't really know what is for breakfast. Yet alone the fridge looks packed and the receptionist always seem busy for nothing particular- expecially when you know that this hostel has no more than 200beds.

In the kitchen what is yours to take and what isn't clear. This making you wander around for a while before settling. In addtion the night receptionist could do by smilling a bit more.

Aside from that I was quite impressed seing women doing night reception work.

Room Tip: Probably, if you travalling alone, the best thing to do in this hostel is to get yourself a private...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Best location, seconds from the beach. Amazing kitchen and lounge facilities. Staff tend to be really strict about non visitors going upstairs which sucks when you want to hang out on the roof patio. If you have trouble with the air conditioning, expect them to take their time fixing it. Lots of fun though, lots of young people coming off birthright at this time. Always people to hang out with.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
H48, General Manager at Hayarkon 48 Hostel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Dear Suerte
Thank you for taking the time and writing this elaborate review. I really appreciate it, even though I must say, I'm quite surprised by your choice of words.
It sounds as if you've had a negative experience at the hostel, and for that I am sorry.
Instead of answering your complaints one by one, I'll say that:
Hayarkon 48 hostel puts time, energy, funds and efforts into cleaning like no other hostel I know. All of our facilities are professionally cleaned several times a day, and inspected regularly by all staff members.
It's very clear from your review that you were not happy with your roommates. I do agree with you that we should do our best to control our guests behavior while staying with us, but while we are able to prevent guests from partying in the rooms and being loud in the hostel area, we cannot prevent them from coming in and out of their own rooms.
I believe that was also the meaning of the receptionist who told you there was nothing he could do, and apologized if he was understood differently.
It is very unfortunate that our other guests were under considerate.
I assure you we will do our best to prevent such an event from happening again.

All the best.
Jerusalem District, Israel
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I don't know how this hostel reviews such good reviews (I then wouldn't want to see other Tel Aviv hostels). The six person dorm room (rooms 19 & 20) are way too crowded - those rooms should only have four people. This hostel is very dirty. In the dorm the bed frames are very dusty. I have found stray food in the dorm rooms which attracts bugs. On the top of the bookcase I found sand. Those nasty bed covers smell, and are out on the floor when not used (and then waiting on the next guest's bed). The "laptop bar" needs a wipe down. With the crowd this hostel hosts the bathrooms need to be scrubbed several times a day & night. With travelers' personal stuff in the dorm room I doubt the maid could differientiate between what needs to be thrown out & what belongs to someone presently staying in the room (therefore things are just left). I read tripadvisor's past reviews & when someone writes about this hostel's filth, the manager's response is that the guest should have said something. Well it is my vacation. I should not have to point out the filth of this hostel when anyone should be able to see it if they took interest. I should not have to tell you about your hostel's disgustingness. You need to do your job. I would have changed accommodation in a heartbeat but this weekend all beds were booked in Tel Aviv. There was a group of people at the hostel who just completed an organized tour of Israel (will not mention their name but you see this tour all over Israel). This kids are the most disrespectful, unkempt, loud, drunkards I ever been in a hostel with (I have stayed in over 300 hostels all over the world). I did not sleep at all in my three nights here. The hostel workers do absolutely nothing to control the volume or make other guests feel comfortable. I asked a worker & was told there is nothing he could do. Other hostels enforce quiet times. The obnoxious girls I had to share a room with kept coming in & out of the room. The door was squeaking & would not shut properly. They didn't care & neither did the hostel worker. I would never ever stay in this filth hostel again nor recommend it.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Suerte2011
H48, General Manager at Hayarkon 48 Hostel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Suerte
Instead of answering your complaints one by one, I'll say that:
It is very unfortunate that our other guests were under considerate.
I assure you we will do our best to prevent such an event from happening again.

All the best.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

The staff at Hayarkon did everything to make my stay more comfortable; not only while I stayed there but even when I returned on my last day in Israel by providing me with a locker, a shower and arguing with the taxi driver on my behalf:D
Thanks a lot :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Vas2710
Israel
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have traveled around the world for 4 years and this is one of the best hostels where I have been so far, super clean, great breakfast :) the people, the workers, the area, the rooms, everything is great. I definitely will go back every year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo