“Not Very Grand”

Ranked #69 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Not Very Grand”
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Firstly Tel Aviv Hotels are totally over priced.
I arrived at 4pm on Shabat,the receptionist could not find my reservation despite me showing it to him on my phone, he fluffed and flaffed around for about 10 minutes, answered guest queries and then another receptionist started the process all over again and found the reservation which he told me had been cancelled a few days before. I asked why it was cancelled he said they tried to debit my credit card and could not, why they tried I don't know as it was given purely as a guarantee. He found me a room for 2 nights of the 3 I had booked, no apologies. The whole process took about 20 minutes.
The room was tiny but clean, the bathroom had been re vamped but not very well (The original shower in the bath was replaced by a hand held devise, the original unit is still there but not working)
There is fee wi fi but not very good.
The Breakfast buffet is fairly good the staff float around like ghosts don't bother to ask them for anything they are only there to socialise with their colleagues.
All in all the Hotel is very tired and the staff have no interest, service is non existent.
Location is good near the New Port, Independence Park and nice beaches.
To add insult to injury I asked if I could keep the room for an hour later than check out the answer was "NO" not "no sorry we are full" just plane NO

Room Tip: Choose another Hotel :) If you must choose a Hotel on the top floor
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Riverside, California
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Small but comfortable quarters...amazing breakfast buffets...wonderful rooftop pool...close to beach and many, many great restaurants at the Port. One Gentleman on the Reception staff gave excellent service while others were 'so-so'. Close to Dizengoff St. & Ben Yehuda St. Off-site laundry service more reasonable than that of the hotel's.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank diane k
Warkworth, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We started and ended our recent tour with Grand Beach Hotel, and were greatful to have the same receptionist both times. Friendly, accommodating and happy to go the extra mile. We thought it would be like this in all the hotels, but no! GBH was central to what we needed and the food whilst not a great range was lovely and so was the local wine. I would definitely recommend to all.

Room Tip: Try getting a room nearer the top floor which is close to the swimming pool and has a great outlook...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sandi C
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a grand hotel and lives up to its name!
The travel company I was traveling with moved me to this hotel after I had stayed in a bleak 3-star hotel (which was terrible, BTW). In fact the company moved all 11 of us in the tour group into this hotel.

This hotel looks magnificent from the outside, is close to the sea and then you enter the wonderful and spacious lobby/reception.
The young receptionist was brilliant and helpful and I did make a special mention of her in my diary.

My room was spacious, clean and with a flat TV. There was also a mini fridge.
One thing that I specifically noted in my travel diary was that the reading lamps in the room were great.
The hotel is conveniently located in the posh restaurant area of the port and there are supermarkets and ATMs.

I suppose I was rather disappointed by the breakfast but then I was just getting used to the "international" breakfast being offered to satisfy clients of widely differing nationalities!

I cannot comment about "value for money" as this hotel was included in the price I paid for the tour.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank gyanfernando
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Tel Aviv hotels are just plain over priced, so you need to accept that from the start. As most of the smaller hotels I had looked at were full, I settled on Grand Beach which offered excellent service and communication from the start. The hotel is a little old looking from the outside, but rooms are clean, fairly modern and well maintained. We arrived very, very early, way before the check in time, but as we had not slept at all were desperate for some sleep rather than walking around. Even though the hotel was quite full, the staff kindly directed us to the lounge and promised us a room as soon as one was available - done within one hour!

Reception staff were very kind and helpful. The rooms all seem to have nice views of Tel Aviv and the beaches. The street in front of the hotel is not too busy and has free city bikes right outside. If you want to rent bikes, there is a good bike shop about 3-4 blocks away in Ben Gurion str, where the owner speaks good English and is very helpful.

The location of the hotel is perfect - right close to the trendy Port area, restaurants and the beaches. If you are a sporty type, the Yarkon river park is just two blocks away and you can ride/ run for a large number of km's there.

The hotel has a very generous breakfast buffet and staff are very service orientated. There is plenty to eat for Vegan/ Vegetarians.

Take the time to see the roof-top pool and excellent view on the 12th floor.

Grand Beach was great for us and we would definitely choose it first on a next trip!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Caroline K
New York City, New York
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I am from NYC and has been staying in different hotels when I travel. So far this hotel is nice. Buffet breakfast was superb, they have a cook just to make whatever eggs you want to eat and squeeze your own fresh orange juice area. Too many selections of food to eat. Likewise the buffet dinner. I thought I was in kinda Vegas buffets. The room is clean and hot water is excellent. AC worked well, I slept like a baby.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Kickzly
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Where to start...; overpriced hotel. Rooms were old, small, smelled bad and not clean. Location not that great, as the name of the hotel suggests being next to the beach which is not the case. Yes the beach is not that far but it is far from being next to the beach or having a beach view. Misleading name. Then: breakfast, not that special at all though a large assortment of mediocre food at the buffet. WIFI was not working in the rooms. TV problematic. Reception was good though. Best thing I liked was leaving this place knowing I will never return here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business