“The Grand Beach Hotel”
Review of Grand Beach Hotel

Grand Beach Hotel
Ranked #74 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Grand? For me, that conjures Poirot-esque images of hotels and this establishment is nothing like those. However, it does have a lot to offer. The breakfast spread is quite comprehensive and I was surprised to read the most recent review; the houmous and range of cheeses were excellent. A previous reviewer commented on the price of beer in the hotel but, given normal practice, it is about what I would expect over and above what is paid at the nearby supermarket. Over the course of six days, I saw a number of reception staff and an older man was very helpful in booking a day trip to Jerusalem.

In my bedroom on the tenth floor, tea and coffee-making facilities were provided although they were not topped up during my stay. Given that level in the building, the views were quite good - yes, Reading Power Station chimney is unavoidable but the sea was clearly visible. On the downside, I was surprised to learn that the swimming pool does not open until the 'season' begins. When is that? April! Yet, the weather was glorious and I wanted to swim.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank plymouth

Reviewed 9 January 2014

Bit of a dump, really overpriced drinks (£6/bottle of local beer) It has a self service restaurant which at meal times resembles a free for all for what, the food was abysmal - could not eat it.
Its close to beach, and that's about all you can say that's good.

Room Tip: Avoid - its ranked as a 3rd world tip in Isreal.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank AlexM618
Reviewed 7 January 2014

the toilets in the lobby are dirty in the morning around 7AM, the toilet bowls are disgusting with all the marks ______ not been cleaned.... conspicuously understaffed. The breakfast here though is better than the grand courtyard hotel in Jerusalem..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank richard e
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Pros: Fairly decent location - somewhat close to the beach and a number of bars and restaurants. There are hotels that are much closer to the beach, but this one is not too far away. Room was somewhat spacious. Hotel door-men were friendly and helped me with the taxi each morning. Breakfast food is fairly standard (no issues with the actual food).

Cons: This is my 5th or 6th hotel in Tel Aviv - and by far the worst hotel that charges just as much as the others. if you are truly looking for hotel advice on here, take it from a guy who has stayed in well over 70 hotels in last 5 years. In this time, I have never experienced service as bad as here - even in 3rd world countries! Here are just a "few" examples:

(Just a quick background: I am a business traveler who's plans can change on daily/weekly basis. As such, our company has very flexible deals with all hotels as we are often required to make changes. If no flexible deals are possible, those hotels are blacklisted and we are not able to use them. I have never experienced any problems as long as I gave a 24 hr notice and changes were always made on the spot.)

1. Front desk "claims" that they are unable to make reservation changes. You must call the reservation line which is only open from 8 to 6 (or some standard hours like that). They are not open on Israeli weekends (Fri & Sat).

2. They suggest that you email their reservations dept or submit a message from their website. reservations emails was (which does not work either). Email address is no where to be found on their website. Therefore, you have to use the online form on their website ... however, this form does not work - tried it on 4 different browsers, 5 different computers, etc ...

3. My travel agency contacted them via phone and told them that I was going to be 1 day late at which point they told them that "the reservation was 'locked' until a week before the arrival date - so we would have to call at that time." I never heard of bookings being locked this well in advance, but anyway, both the agency and I tried to call again a week later as instructed, but due to time zones were unable to get a hold of the reservations dept. The travel agency got the email address from the front desk, sent them an email telling them to amend my arrival date, we got the delivery/read confirmation,but we never heard back.

4. I arrived 1 day late, the room was still there for me, but I had to pay for the extra day despite the fact that our contract allows cancellations and/or changes as long as 24 hr notice is provided.
I tried to reason with the front desk and show them the emails from the travel agency - but they simply refused to listen. When I asked to speak to the hotel manager, my request was turned down. I eventually gave up on this request and moved on.

5. Later in my stay, I had to check out a day earlier, and the front desk (same staff member I dealt with earlier) refused to make this reservation change for me. First, he tried to play the game that it has to come from my Agency because their hotel has to pay to the travel agency." This is simply not true because the travel Agency contract is that they charge us directly - and not the hotel!
When I called him out on this, he stated: "Ok, maybe you are right - I don't really know how the contract is set-up ... but I just don't want to make a change for you. Get the travel agency to sort it out."

Next day, I tried another front desk staff, and she made the change for me on the spot ...

6. When I check out, I asked that my bill/receipt be emailed to me. I provided them with my business card and my email on it. Long story short, I had to make 3 phone calls, and wait 1 months and 6 days before it was actually emailed to me.

7. Wireless in the room is horrible. Connections fails all the time. I was lucky if I had continuous access to the Internet for more than 5 mins at the time ... and the speed of the internet was absolutely ridiculous.

8. The cleaning ladies were at my door each morning exactly at 8am - even during the weekends. Despite the fact that my "no disturb" sign was on, they kept knocking and entering the room.

9. Cleaning ladies did not replace the towels, they did not replace the empty tissue box, etc.

10. Iron board is available on each floor in the cleaning closet located behind the elevator - room where cleaning ladies keep their cleaning supplies. They are the most filthiest rooms I have ever been in any hotel. The iron board was soo dirty that I did not feel comfortable putting my shirt on. The actual iron did not work good at all.

11. My room key did not work on 5 different days!

12. Breakfast staff are very rude.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank D K
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Great breakfast (superb!), beds comfortable and wifi everywhere inside the hotel, BUT...
As everywhere you have to be lucky with the front desk staff. When arriving under a very rough weather and very tired after a long drive, the girl on the desk was unfriendly and quite rude. Nothing to complain about the other members of the staff. A garage for clients would be a good improvement!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Josip57
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Booked 3 nights, Arrived from Ben Gurion Airport by taxi (138NIS, excellent value, as missed last train on Friday afternoon) short Q at reception, staff pleasant, after formalities, took lift to 10th floor, room over looking North Tel Aviv, power plant and airport (SDV), but could also see the sea. Room was OK, TV was ok, on holiday,, not here to watch TV, but English language channel selection was adequate. No noise from other guests (rooms or corridor) Wi-fi - excellent, no problems. Breakfast, extremely LARGE choice, salads, cereals, hot plate. fresh juices and Tea & Coffee, no cold meats thou (that was strange). Room had a safe, which was easy to operate and aircon / heating with manual controls. Outside, good location for beach and access to city centre. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor, the better!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Two weeks ago we my partner and I stayed in the Grand beach hotel in Tel Aviv. The location of the hotel is fantastic, located on the Yarkon street over looking to the sea. Just cross the road and walk for 300 meter to the beach.
Or turn to the other side and you will be in the hub of tel aviv restaurants, pubs small coffee shops and the long shopping street named - Dizingof street.

The hotel has a very small pool on the roof, nothing special. The rooms are very basic and boring, the complimentary coffee and tea are poor. The breakfast though was nice: lots of choice of cheese and bread, fresh made omelettes and great salads.

The lobby is very basic and if you order food to the lobby- (we had guests for coffee and small lunch), don't expect for anything special. We had to look for someone to order the food and when eventually it arrived it was tasteless but big portions. The pizza and pasta were tasteless and when we asked for herbs to add on top we were told that they did not have any, strange.
The T.V in the room is small and old style, it had two movies channel that played the same movies in different times. The Internet area was not nice, one machine did not work and the other had a problematic key board.
For 2 nights we paid 300 dollars, a bit pricy considering that we visited off season- middle of November.
Overall, basic hotel, good location. Good for staying in for short time and be out all day and evening.

Room Tip: Ask to have the sea view and top floor.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family