“Worst service ever”

Ranked #54 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Bucharest, Romania
“Worst service ever”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I have been travelling for the last 5 years extensively but this hotel has by far the worst service possible. Took me an hour to check in. Ricki, the lady who was supposed to check me in skipped all info that you usually expect to receive: breakfast hours, access to executive lounge as part of the package, where the executive lounge is located, wifi and alike. I wouldn't have paid attention, after all we all have our bad days.

Went to the room and surprisingly didnt have to use the key to open the door. Door simply didnt lock. Went downstairs and told them about the issue. And the ordeal began. I was told quite rudely that a security guy would come with me upstairs to check. Told them I dont need to go up again because the door is broken. Took them time to check and then gave me another room. Which surprisingly was not the superior one I booked. No apologies. Asked to talk to the manager. According to the same "helpful" Ricki, there was no manager. What a coincidence he appeared later. Everything ended with the manager lecturing me how to open/close the door.

Stayed in a lot of hotels but boy...this one made me speechless. Never again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank MarieCristina
Dear,
I am writing in regard to your recent stay with us here at the Park Plaza Orchid Tel Aviv Hotel,
I would like to thank you for bringing your feedback to our attention.
Like the other Park Plaza Hotels we are dedicated to provide a high level of service and standards. Therefore I was very surprised at your experience here.
I deeply apologies for any inconvenience you may had.
I will appreciate if you will contact me directly in order to find a way to solve this issue with you. We hope to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the future and assure you be able to enjoy in a spoiled and relaxed atmosphere.

Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

4 star hotel ??? Maybe 1 We booked the rooms for the holiday 1 triple and double , we got a 2 small rooms we had to complain in order to get a better room for the triple ,
The carpet was dirty, the bathroom was tiny , windows and door could not stop the tribal noise from the street and next rooms , the pool is so small could not feet more then 20% the hotel guests, Air-condition after one day stop working , never got any other room replacements,
Will never come back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Avi-lu

New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

So much to like about the park plaza orchid . Let's start with the perfect location on the beach, I've been taking the free bicycles that the hotel offers almost very day. The breakfast is amazing keeps you going all day.
The rooms were super clean and the housekeepers were always cool with coming back as I took time to get ready. The reception and concierge was always very helpful , when it came from restaurant recommendations to touring questions. the wifi was always working strong which is so important as a traveler and each room gets free International calling. staying in the park plaza orchid for sure the next time I come back to tel aviv.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
lauren z, Manager at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
I would like to thank you for your positive feedback and kind compliments regarding our Hotel rooms , staff and services.
We are very happy to know you enjoyed the complimentary service of bicycle rental.
We are offering several categories of rooms from Standard rooms with city view up to luxury suites.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Small rooms. Not the cleanest. One of our curtains was missing the black out blind and when we asked for it to be fixed they did nothing... So instead of a relaxing vacation we were treated to early morning wakeups with our baby. Breakfast buffet was nothing special. I suggest you book elsewhere... I wish we had

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank SDDN
lauren z, wer at Orchid Tel Aviv, responded to this review, 16 April 2014

Lauren Zhavi
operation manager of Orchid Hotels
Modiin, Israel
Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is our third time in this hotel, and in each stay we have nothing but warm words to describe our pleasant staying. incredible stuff, tasty meals, excellent location right in front of the sea and in the center of Tel-Aviv. rooms are very comfy and well maintained, with comfort bed.
highly recommended!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ofer b

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in March. Great location with a staff second to none. Always ready to give helpful hints for Tel Aviv as well as quick to pull out a map. Rachel and Marisya really great at front desk. Rooms were cleaned well each day. We had a room with a view of the beach. Better than expected gym, I was really surprised. Congrats to the manager surrounding himself with such a great staff. I will be returning to Tel Aviv in early July, fluff up the pillows I'm coming back.
Thanks

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Los Angeles
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Let me start by saying I really like the Park Plaza Orchid Hotel and would definitely stay there again. It has some wonderful features, but the management needs to work with the staff to make the place run more smoothly -- at least for American business travelers.
First, the great things about the hotel:
1. The location is fabulous- it's right across the street from a beautiful beach and within walking distance of many lively neighborhoods with late - night cafes and coffee shops and bars and restaurants, etc. It's also right next door to the American embassy and across the street from Turkish Airlines (the airline we took to Israel) and near many banks.
2. There are many different rooms you can occupy, which is great if you need a place to work or hang out other than your room. On a floor below the lobby, you have 24-hour access to a lounge type room that is stocked with cappuccino, water, soda, juice, sandwiches and a salad bar, and a few desserts. There are tables, a couple of couches and wifi in this room and it was rarely occupied, so i worked here frequently. The lobby is also very nice; it has couches and tables and wifi, too. There are also outdoor tables on a veranda overlooking the ocean, and near the pool. I'm assuming the wifi works outside too, though i didn't try it.
3. They serve a huge, huge Israeli style breakfast every morning complete with every kind of bread and pastry; a huge salad bar with cheese, hummus, fish, grape leaves, and the like; cereal, yogurt and the like; fresh fruit and desserts; fresh squeezed orange juice, other juices, coffee and milk; and a short order cook who makes omelets to order. We overate every day at this buffet, but it was great.
4. Our room wasn't that large, but my teenage daughter and I (who shared the room) found it comfortable. In Israel they push two twin beds together and call it a double; that saves floor space (though it doesn't provide the typical separation). The room had a comfortable mattress, nice large windows with a partial view of the ocean, a large desk, night tables, and a decent size closet -- all fine.
5. Some of the staff (though not all) were excellent. One of the front desk people, whose first name was Marsala (or something similar) was extremely helpful and pleasant and generally great. Our regular housekeeper, Malka, was also terrific, as were a few others. The manager, Alon (phonetic) and the assistant manager, Sharon (again, phonetic) were also quite responsive when we raised some concerns. So, they do have a good staff to build on.

Despite all these great features of the hotel, we did have quite a few unexpected problems. I told the manager about them and he gave us a discount on our bill, which was very gracious and went a long way toward creating good will for us. But anyone staying there should be aware of the sorts of problems you may experience, unless the hotel can get its act together a bit more. By the way, I don't know if these sorts of problems are common in Israel generally, but these sorts of things would be considered unacceptable by American standards.
1. The first day we arrived, the internet was out from early evening until the next morning-- difficult for business travelers and even for tourists.
2. The phones did not work reliably in our room or elsewhere. It seems like every time we wanted to make a call, we'd end up having to call the front desk. Twice they sent maintenance people, who basically said they'd done something before they came up, checked to see if there was a dial tone, and left quickly. But then the next day, we'd have the problem again. Ultimately, when I really had to make some local calls, i had to get the front desk to "clear" the lines for me, and sometimes just had them make the calls. The hotel advertises free international calls- a great bonus- but, even following their instructions very closely, I could not get their house phone to make an international call for me, so I gave up.
3. The hotel has some staff people who are incompetent at best, rude at worst. My daughter had a nightmarish experience trying to print something for me in the hotel's business center. I was about to give an important lecture at one of the universities and sent her downstairs to print it out; she's very good with computers and usually has no problems with this sort of thing. She couldn't get any of the printers for guests to work, and at first one of the female employees, who was in the business center, would not let her use the only printer that seemed to work-- she claimed it was for employees only. My daughter finally persuaded her to let her use the printer, but she couldn't get it to work, either, and the employee was no help at all-- basically, rude. My daughter went to the front desk for help, in desperation, but no one there seemed to know how to operate the printers either. Strange!
4. The room has some shortcomings, one of which is inadequate lighting and voltage. I tried to move the one lamp on a side table by the bed to the other side table, so that I could sit in bed and read, but when I plugged it in on the other side, by itself it blew the circuit breaker and we had no light in the room! I called the front desk and told them about the problem, but 15 minutes later no one had come, so I had to call again. Finally, a maintenance guy showed up and he stormed in and told us not to try plugging anything in differently, because there just wasn't enough power in the room to do that. He was in and out in literally 2 seconds and was clearly angry at having to show up to flip the circuit breaker, even though it was only about 7 p.m. on a Thursday evening (not Sabbat). The maintenance people are terrible in the hotel!
5. There were no stands to put your suitcases on in the room - big hassle when you're there for 8 days as we were.
6. The bathroom is a bit of a disaster. It has a stand up shower, no tub, with a fixed piece of glass, which would be fine, except that the floor doesn't make the water drain properly into the shower, so the water gets everywhere, all over the floor and you have to have several extra towels to sop it up. But guess what? It's hard to get extra towels (unless the lovely Malka is working). There is also very little counter space; we had to drag a little table in from the room to get by. And the blow dryer is terrible- bring your own!
7. The room didn't get cleaned on Friday or Saturday of Sabbat. We called and asked for it to be cleaned on Saturday afternoon and they sent two people, not Malka (our regular housekeeper), who were absolutely terrible. Our room was very dirty, and they were doing the bare minimum only. I asked them to clean more thoroughly and they pretended not to speak English and kind of smirked and laughed with each other and refused to clean any better. I called their supervisor, who spoke to them, and after that, one of them spoke to me in pretty good English, so I knew she'd been pretending in the beginning.
8. Despite the great weather, the pool was closed! :( and the spa was under construction.

All in all, the ORCHID has a lot of potential and could be a great hotel if these sorts of staff and infrastructure problems could be resolved. We're hopeful that they will be, and we will definitely give the Orchid another try the next time we're in Tel Aviv.

Room Tip: You need to be on a high floor to avoid the street noise.