“The worst hotel in the world”

Olympia Hotel Tel Aviv - By Zvieli Hotels
Ranked #78 of 98 Hotels in Tel Aviv
“The worst hotel in the world”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed in this hotel with my mother and sister and we were terrified. First the receptionist gave us a smoking room (although we asked for non-smoking) and the smell was unbearable. The room was for 2 but they put a small bed inside and gave us as a triple. When we went to tell the same receptionist (a blond guy, very full of himself) started screaming at us in a manner that just shocked. I never passed through a situation so unpleasant. We asked to speak with his superior and he screamed at us that that was impossible because it was Saturday. Later they gave us a non-smoking room but everything was so dirty, we asked for a better room they said we had to pay the double amount of price to get a room in the refourbished floor.... we said: no way, we leave this place, that's it! but that was impossible too because without asking us, the blond guy took all the money for the night although he didn't tell us he just said "I need your credit card" and we thought it was for any extras.. we had no choice and we stayed and every time we were passing by reception he was like laughing. It was disgusting!!!!! Later he left and another guy was extremely nice and polite, but it was too late.

Filthy hotel and extremely rude staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Nadine P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed at the Olympia for 5 nights from 8th June 2014.

For a hotel that charged about EUR100 per night, the service was shocking. The entire hotel was filthy.

The so-called room service merely changed towels (from one threadbare towel to another) on a daily basis. The bed was never made (on the odd occasion, the threadbare blanket was stretched out). Cigarette burns around the room. A kettle was provided, no mugs. You had to go downstairs for coffee sachets and plastic cups!!! No milk was ever provided either.

The bathroom was hardly cleaned. The shower curtain was filthy.

The air vents were filthy and caked with dusted.

The breakfast room had dirty crockery (glasses, plates, cutlery) provided. The menu is extremely basic.

My skin crawls remembering this place. Never have I had such a bad experience in a hotel.

Room Tip: Just don't stay there!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ZAF_Traveller

Travellers are raving about these Tel Aviv hotels

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This is a basic hotel, but is in a great location right near the waterfront in Tel Aviv. It is walking distance from lots of shops and restaurants as well. The rooms themselves are basic (bring your own toiletries), but for the price and the location, it worked great for us! The front desk staff was friendly and informative. Breakfast was a typical Israeli breakfast with a good selection!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Our room was dirty, blanket threadbare, toilet leaking through floor, towels threadbare, filth on telephone, kettle supplied but no coffee, tea etc.
Does not deserve a one star rating- disgraceful smelly hotel.

Room Tip: Refurbished rooms on upper floors may be nice when completed but I feel the hotel owes us a refund f...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

During my visit in Tel Aviv there was an important international convention and all the other hotels were fully booked.
Olympia was the only choice and unfortunately was an horrible hotel. I had to change my first room as it was completely dirty.
Also the second one was an awful and uncleaned room.
Breakfast is extremely poor.
Internet connection was available only in the lobby and was working very badly.
I really had a terrible experience in this hotel and was not very cheap... Try to find something else if you can.

Room Tip: I think is impossible to find a good room in this hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Guido J
Athens, Greece
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived tired after a long trip and all we were asking for was a simple clean hotel to take a shower and rest for the night...all I can say is this was the dirtiest most disgraceful hotel I have ever seen and I wasn't expecting luxury. From the minute we stepped in the elevator with its dirty walls and dirty old rug I knew this was bad news. The paint was chipping off the walls in the hall and then when I opened the door to my room came the real surprise. The ceiling panels were falling off the ceiling and the door hinges were completly broken as if someone had broken down the door. The sheets had holes and there was a dirty old blue wool blanket full of dust on the bed. The floor of the room was lined with old wall to wall carpets full of dust and who knows what else..the refrigerator was stained, the walls of the room cracked and grey from the pollution. As disgusted as I was I desperately wanted to take a shower and stepped into the shower wearing my flip flops from my disgust to touch my bare feat to the shower floor and there I realized soaking wet that there was no soap in the dispenser and know way to shower. I grabbed a towel to dry myself and it was stained with rust and I got out as quickly as I could from my fungus lined bathtub , put on my cloths, packed my bag and checked out of the hotel within the same hour! We had booked three rooms and all checked out together, all three rooms filthy! My question to the management of the hotel is what were they thinking to have not cleaned these rooms and bathrooms for at least a month! My second question was what was the point of asking for our passports and credit cards for security deposit in such an old worn down dirty room? Could we possibly cause more damage to need a security deposit? Everything was already old and broken! Seriously stay away from this place! Needs major renovation and knew management!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Maro P
Nashua, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

I spent 4 nights at the Olympia in May of 2014. The location is excellent as it is very close to the beach in Tel Aviv. The neighborhood is quite safe in my opinion. I walked around freely sometimes by myself day and night with no concerns. The rooms are very basic, but clean. I stayed on the fifth floor, which was quiet. The only noise I really noticed from my room was the sound of doors slamming. Other than that, not a peep. The free breakfast was simple but good. There is something there for everyone. The hotel staff was helpful and friendly. The wireless is only accessible from the lobby, which is a bit inconvenient, but I found that it forced me to get out of my room for a while and interact with others who were accessing the internet as well, which was not all bad. When I was there, they were doing some extensive modeling, so I suspect that the remodeled rooms will be new and fresh. You get a good very basic room for a reasonable price, so if you have the proper expectation, you should enjoy your stay at the Olympia.

Room Tip: My room on a high level floor was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends