“ITS ALSO A RESTAURANT, AND THEY GOT IT WRONG”

Alma Hotel & Lounge
Ranked #63 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
GREECE
“ITS ALSO A RESTAURANT, AND THEY GOT IT WRONG”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel scene and parallel to that the restaurant scene has come a long way in Israel in the last ten years. But please don't get me wrong. The fantastic falafel stands are still there, and to my dismay Arab owned very famous restaurants are not there anymore. But my personal opinion is that the so called boutique hotels got it all wrong. Every hotel that calls itself boutique is not boutique. Minimal is something that is difficult to achieve. We have visited the restaurant of this hotel a fortnight ago to have a meal with friends. The place gives the impression that is a replica of the Costes hotel in Paris. The all different chairs did not fit the whole scene. Nearly dark can not be cool. The inside restaurant is small, but they have a very nice garden too that you can smoke as well. They have room for 24 people. Exactly 24 people. We were numerous and they called us and told us if we can accept a menu of three salads and two plates of fish. We agreed. Now if you like a mango salad marinated with ginger with lime and chives and aromatic olive oil and olives (not the exact description) this is your place. The salmon was very nice and we gorged on salmon. All food was the same, cooked well but not to everyones taste. But of course there are different tastes. The bar is small and they got all our orders nearly wrong. They tried to convince us that was what we ordered. After a while a very sympathetic guy came (everyone was very sympathetic) and explain to us the black label was extra old from a cristal bottle without asking us and were charged exorbitant prices. We paid nearly equal to a two star guide Michelin restaurant without being in the same range.
Would I go to this restaurant again? YES. I would choose my own food and drinks. But on the other hand when would I go to Israel again? The first impression is the best impression. We all live in the present anchored to the past. The future?

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank YakoDogiou
IlanSturm, General Manager at Alma Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Emmado,
Thank you for your review.
We will take your comments under considerations and keep on doing our best to improve
Ilan S,
GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Hebrew first
israel
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This hotel is just brilliant. I was there for 1 night, and I'm sorry I couldn't stay there another month... the room is nice, clean, very well designed with lots of art on the walls, we had an Nespersso machine in the room complimentary and we were welcome with a glass of wine in the great rooftop. the stuff is great and we were treated like royalty Ah, we had dinner in the hotel restaurant and the food was great. special thanks to Ronit who help us with everything.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
IlanSturm, General Manager at Alma Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Rony,
Thanks for your amazing revive and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.
You are most welcome to stay with us a whole month :)
Hope to see you hear again soon.
Ilan S.
Hod HaSharon, Israel
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The sales department of our comany spent the weekend at the Alma -hotel.

We enjoyed from the unique atmosphere of the hotel, the amazing rooms and the tasty breakfast.

The hotel is extremly well located on the famous Rotshild boulevard and therefore allows an easy acces to the heart of central Tel - Aviv

Hadas Leventer
Comasco
Israel

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
IlanSturm, General Manager at Alma Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Hadas,
I would like to thank you, and please pass it on to your team, for choosing to stay at our fair hotel.
Your group was amazing and we are grateful for your kind words.
We will keep on doing our best and to give the best experience we can for our guests.
Hope to see you here in the near future.
Yours,
Ilan S.
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 17 October 2013

What a place: beautiful, conveniently located and nice staff.

Stayed for 3 nights at this great boutique hotel. Amazing decor, including outside tables. All rooms are very well furnished, including very nice amenities.

Hotel is close to everything you need.

Staff is truly helpful and nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms with a balcony
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Andrea,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review and thanks for your kind word.
I will pass on your review to my team.
Hope to welcome your back here soon.
Ilan.
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Another visit to the Alma hotel, this time in a much more quite room.
The dining experience is not as steady as it should be, but the location, service, rooms and breakfast are great.
All things considered, one of our preferred vacation sites in Israel.

Room Tip: Make sure it's quiet. This area is alive 24 hours a day.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
IlanSturm, General Manager at Alma Hotel & Lounge, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Tomer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review.

I'm glad to see that it is not your first time with us and on your next visit I will happy to upgrade you to a suite (send email me ilan.sturm@almahotel.co.il).

As for your dinning experience, this upcoming winter (starting Nov.) we will have the new and amazing winter menu, and I am sure you will enjoy it.

I want to update you that we have amended most of our rooms and suites with double glazing.

Hope to see you back soon.
Ilan.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This was a beautiful little boutique hotel in the heart of Tel Aviv. Room service gets its food from the restaurant with an All Star Chef and the food was a delight -- far better than room service at the vast majority of hotels. I also enjoyed the little terrace. The room was on the small side but the terrace made it feel more spacious. The service was fantastic. The only minor complaint is that the light and cooling system were a little too high tech. I had to unplug the lamps by the bed because I could not figure out how to turn them off at night. Another night I couldn't figure out how to get the room cooler but it turned out that the controls were broken so there was no way to make the room cooler. They offered me another room but it was late and I was leaving early so it made no sense to move. Nevertheless, I would still highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
I am glad to read that you enjoyed our room service. We are currently switching to our winter menu in preparation for the winter season so we would love to welcome you back to try a few new dishes from our all star chef, Yonatan Roshfeld.

At the Alma Hotel & Lounge it is our pleasure to give our friends, our guests a feeling of home. I take pride in the service we give to make sure that our guests have the most comfortable and pleasurable stay.

If you found the deluxe room which is 35 sqm. a bit small I would like to recommend that you stay in one of our executive suites which are 45 sqm.

I would be delighted to welcome you to The Alma Hotel & Lounge again.

Ilan Sturm
san francisco
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My husband and I have travelled to Tel Aviv many times in the past few years. Finding superior yet quiet and calming hotel accommodations in that non-stop frenetic city is a primary concern of ours. We've stayed at the large hotels (the Dan & the Hilton) as well as another boutique hotel (the Montefiore) and I can say with utmost certainty that none of those come close to the experience we had at the Alma. Walking into the Alma we were warmly greeted, immediately shown to our beautiful room where we found welcoming treats, and had all questions regarding the hotel, daily breakfast, complimentary internet access, etc. clearly answered. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more helpful. Breakfast was terrific and all efforts were made to accommodate our wishes. The hotel is extremely well located for exploring Neve Tzedek, Jaffa, etc. Tel Aviv is a fun, wonderful city and calling the warm peaceful Alma Hotel home while we were there is something we will definitely repeat in the future.

Room Tip: We loved the Chocolate Room. Upgrading to the suite was a good move.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mstephenson176
Here at The Alma Hotel & Lounge we enjoy giving our guests the experience that makes them feel the most at home. A quiet and calming stay is always one of our first priorities to our guests.

The rooms and suites at The Alma Hotel our each specifically designed to fit a different theme so we always enjoy bringing our guests to our beautiful rooms and making sure that their stay as delightful. Our staff is dedicated to welcoming our guests and making them feel at home.

As you pointed out our we our in the heart of the city so guests have an easy as well as enjoyable time experiencing the attractions, cafes and restaurants, and everything else the city has to offer.

Ilan