“A DISAPPOINTED COUPLE”

Alma Hotel & Lounge
Ranked #65 of 100 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel for a couple of nights, for our wedding night.
It’s a beautiful hotel; the room was well designed and very special. We had high expectations from the hotel and staff as it was chosen to be the best boutique hotel in Israel. First the rooms are noisy, you can hear the main street- the double glazing isn’t very effective.
Second there were a few things that didn’t work in the room: the TV, there was some plumbing issues – water coming out. Also we were promised to get some wine and chocolates and flowers waiting for us at the room. Nothing was there.
The breakfast was also disappointing, it was very simple and not allot of choices. Considering it belongs to Roshfeld and for the price they charge – they can at least serve some pastries, and not just bread.
At the end we were sorry we didn’t go to a different hotel with better and personal service and with a rich breakfast buffet.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank eli72014
shenhav t, Guest Relations Manager at Alma Hotel & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2014

Dear Eli,

we are very sorry for your experience. we would like to note you that we made changes in our managment. we will be honour to host you again for a corrence experience.
wish you the best !!!!

There are newer reviews for Alma Hotel & Lounge

Reviewed 5 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at this charming hotel in early January.
Having arrived at the hotel by car, I went inside to advise of our arrival.
Once through the doors, I found myself in what looked like the entrance way to a block of units. I proceeded up a couple of stairs where I saw the reception desk which was a small stand in a small hallway. I suddenly had reservations about the quality of the hotel we were about to check into based on the price we were going to pay per night.
I needed have worried.
A lovely young lady came outside with me and helped us bring in our bags from the footpath.
Once checked in, she then took us to our room and again helped us with our luggage.
Upon entering our room, we knew straight away we had made the right choice in staying here.
Our room was amazing in its decoration and layout. Our bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom also was great in its design.
If we had to say one slight negativity about the room, it would be that there was hardly any drawer space to put things in the cupboard. Apart from that, everything else was great.

We also especially liked the little treats left on a plate for us for when we came back to our room in the evening. Having a Nespresso machine in the room was a big plus.

Our room was on the second floor and I guess like anywhere where your hotel is facing the street and not very high up, you hear quite a bit of car noise outside during the late evening when you try and go to sleep. My one thought was that it's a shame the door, window areas were not made more sound proof. However this did not detract from our overall enjoyment of staying at this hotel.

We managed to also have a look at a couple of the other rooms and they were all amazingly decorated.

The dining room area where breakfast and other meals are served, is a wonderful concoction of colour and design. The quality of the furniture was excellent.
The food served at breakfast was of a very high standard. The service by the staff was friendly and professional. Although not everything was on display which made us initially think that the breakfast menu was very limiting, we soon found out that all you had to do was ask for anything and it was brought to you.

There was also a roof top bar/outdoor sitting area which we would have loved to have been able to use but it was closed due to I guess it being winter time.

The location of the hotel was also very good for us as it was well within walking distance to a number of places we wanted to go to. It was also surrounded by a lot of very good cafes.

Overall we found this to be a charming hotel where the rooms and dining area have been planned and decorated to a very high standard indeed. The staff were always very helpful and friendly and this all resulted in us having a most pleasant stay which will guarantee our return when we next come back to Tel Aviv.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed here three nights including New Year's Eve, my husband, 21 year old son and myself. We had two rooms - a suite and a regular room on the second floor. The rooms were gorgeous and comfortable, each room in the hotel has a special, unusual decor. Our suite was on the corner, with two balconies, one on Yavne Street and one curved right at the corner of Yavne and the next street. The balconies were great spots to watch people and the hustle and bustle of an up and coming neighborhood. There are many, many good restaurants and bars nearby, including Tapas Echad Ha'am just about 50 feet away. The regular room was quiet, with windows on an interior courtyard. Since we are from New York City, the city sounds and hustle and bustle of the neighborhood was fun and like home to us - if you want less noise, the rooms with interior views are quiet. We chose this hotel partly for it's location - you can walk to the old city in Jaffa and the sea, and could eat dinner and party on New Year's eve without ever having to get into a car. Breakfast at the bistro on the ground floor was lovely and relaxed - fresh salads, eggs prepared however you prefer, excellent bread and awesome coffee. There is also a small buffet of cereals, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, etc. The service at the hotel was excellent throughout, including an attentive staff that cleaned the room while we were at breakfast. We all loved our stay and have recommended it to others.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 212Carol
IlanSturm, General Manager at Alma Hotel & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

Dear Carol,
Thank you for your kind wards and we are so happy to read that you guys enjoyed your rooms and all what our hotel has to offer. I've forward your review to all of our stuff in our morning meeting.
We would love to have you back with us in the future. :)
Yours,
Ilan s.

Reviewed 17 January 2014

Expensive for a very low level service. Brunch: eggs with polenta and truffle: was not from the day. Very dry and not tasty, not fresh. Orange juice from a cheap bottle of orange juice. Avoid this place for eating

Stayed: January 2014
4  Thank Didier C

Dear Didier C,
Thank you for taking the time to write us your comment and I do apologize for not enjoying our restaurant.
The cost of the Brunch starting at 92 NIS per guest and can go up according to what you order, All of the eggs are made per order and not in advance, the Orange juice can ether be freshly squeeze or you can choose a different kind
As for the service, I would appropriate if you can send me via email the date that you visit us so I can look into the matter more.
Please contact me on: ilan.sturm@almahotel.co.il
Thank you in advance.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We enjoyed our trip to Israel, and we absolutely loved our stay at the Alma Hotel in Tel-Aviv.
Everything was perfect, the location of this beautiful house... The original and charming rooms, the very nice bistro and great Chef who s one of the best in Tel-Aviv, no doubt ! So we enjoyed the food, the decor, and all the adorable and professional staff there. Its a one of a kind boutique hotel... We hope to go back there, till then we talk about this hotel to everyone we know !

Room Tip: Cet hôtel se situe dans une petite rue en plein centre ville, donc si vous recherchez le silence abs...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
IlanSturm, General Manager at Alma Hotel & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Dear Emli,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
We are grateful for your choosing to stay with us and I will definitely will pass on your remarks to my team.
Hope to see you here soon,

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

Managed to catch a deal on this rather newly built fancy hotel.
At arrival I did find that the front desk personal does not match at all the style and level of this hotel. They come over rather slow and a little unprofessional. Once arriving at the room, the room is simply awesome and very nice decorated and very unique as every single room is decorated differently at Alma's.
We got room 35 on 2nd floor and comes with its balcony and bathtub.
Very luxurious and lots and lots of complimentary stuff like all kinds of soaps and shampoos, moisturizers, hairdryer, slippers, wardrobe, espresso machine and so much more... Room comes equipped with stylish minibar, flat screen tv. Room was a little dusty but apart from that amazing amazing room. Breakfast was also very enjoyable as they did a lot of effort to please with gluten free stuff. By the way the hotel looks from the outside exactly as pictured on website. Definitely recommended place for couples!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Sir,
Thank you for you review.
I want to apologize if you received unprofessional service at front desk, I can only assume that you was greeted by a trainee and not our regular personnel, having said that I will take the time to go over procedure with all of my team.
I would like to thank you for your kind words and we will continue to our best to improve.
Thx and Happy New Year,

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Cool, funky and fabulous- the friendly and highly personal vibe kicks in right from the moment you walk into this beautiful old house that’s been painstakingly restored with an eclectic mix of original and contemporary features.
It’s right in the centre of the TLV action, just off Rothschild Street with 15 individual rooms and a small and super-cool bar on the ground floor, complete with award winning chef, and excellent music.
The whole place is filled with unique and stylish items – and this alone doubtless attracts a similar clientele!
While so many ‘boutique’ hotels claim that elusive ‘family’ atmosphere, this is one of the few at which I have stayed where you really feel it’s genuine. Imagine the scenario that something dreadful happened and you were injured or ill or something … well at the Alma, I know you’d be taken care of.
The staff are amazing – and in a class of their own where it comes to pre-empting the mood of the client and dealing with it positively!.
I arrived after nearly 36 hours of travelling … a little fractious and needing to catch up on a serious amount of email and calls. I checked in went to the – lovely – room I’d booked and there was no desk, so I immediately flagged this up as an issue! (for me workspace as an absolute prerequisite)
Of course, sorting out a room change was absolutely no problem at all, they just needed a little time, and which point I was gently propelled to the bar and offered a welcome drink. I got over myself for being uptight and asking for a water - sat at the end table got the laptop out, logged on to their excellent fast and free WIFI … and started working!
The welcome drink extended to the best part of a bottle of extremely drinkable dry white wine! The music got right into the groove and the room filled up with a lively and really happening crowd. As all this unfolded I simply relaxed and went with the flow. Life at this stage is so seriously not bad … and I could have stayed in that bar all night working away or stopping and chatting … whatever … I felt completely comfortable
The rest is history. I loved my stay at the Alma. They can do no wrong!
I was in Room 35 on the second floor which was a good size and had a balcony but as it rained torrentially for all 6 days I was there, I didn’t get to enjoy it!!!
Both the room and the bathroom were beautifully furnished and finished in an elegant combination of classically interesting items, surfaces and materials, and the ‘props’ included a collection of great art books … I could have spent a week just working my way through these. I was relaxed and very happy there.
The bathroom has a monochrome colour scheme with a striking combination of different tiles … and big frosted windows letting in lots of light. Everything in the room has its place and its story … and I felt very privileged to be there.
The minibar was fully stocked with a great selection of liquids and it even had a small wine fridge in the top which I thought was pure class!
The bed was a bit high off the ground .. but really comfortable and the sheets were a silky high thread-count cotton.
The quality of the housekeeping was also excellent – any clothes left lying around were hung up or folded – and I really felt compelled to tidy up each day before the room-keepers came in (and not in a pressured way ) but I didn’t want to be embarrassed by letting the standards down! 
The only thing it could have done with was a little more light. The desk side of the room (away from the balcony / windows) was a touch dark – but to be honest, all hotels I have encountered with pre-programmed ‘mood’ lighting … need a bit of a reality check in this area. ‘Mood’ does not have to equal ‘darkness’!
I was sad to leave the Alma – and that does not happen too often. I had a great time and it was the first time I had stayed in a hotel in TLV that I’d return to – after a couple of previous attempts!
I would definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a proper ‘boutique’ experience in this amazing city!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear Anne,
Thank you for your review and for your kind words.
We here at the Alma will keep on doing our very best to give our amazing guests an exceptional experience staying with us.
I promise you, on your next visit I will take care of the desk lights :)
Please let me know in advance on your next visit to TLV: Ilan.sturm@almahotel.co.il
Best,