“Excellent new, clean, hip boutique Hotel”
Review of Shenkin Hotel

Shenkin Hotel
Ranked #18 of 101 Hotels in Tel Aviv
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I stayed here 3 nights and 3 nights at the David Intercontinental. In the Intercontinental's favour are that it is close to the beach and has a pool. However, overall I preferred the Shenkin. It is a very new boutique hotel, clean and hip. I found the staff better than at the Interconti. The staff I interacted with at the Shenkin were all very friendly and helpful. I would like to single out Tehila who checked me in - pronounced "Taylor"; at least to my ears :). I had read that the rooms were small (as seems to be the case at many hotels in Israel) so I booked a Junior Suite. (The room at the Interconti was larger, but I also paid much more for it). I liked that the Shenkin provides free Wifi. I did have free Wifi at the Interconti, but that was only because I am an Ambassador member. It would have galled me to pay at the Interconti though because the Wifi reception was quite poor in my room. In contrast, I never had any issues with the WiFi at the Shenkin. (Unlike the Shenkin there was no free WiFi in the lobby at the Interconti which was a pain when I had checked out, but still had a few hours to kill before going to the airport). The Shenkin also provides FREE international calls. That's a first. I tried it a couple of times and it worked great. The hotel provides breakfast coupons redeemable at a choice of two nearby cafes. Both cafes provided typical Israeli breakfasts which will keep you going for many hours. I like the location of the Shenkin which is nearby trendy Shenkin Street and Carmel Market. There is an Art & Crafts market (twice a week?) next to Carmel Market. The hotel provides free coffee all day and cake in the afternoon in a lounge area on the ground floor. They also have a nice rooftop lounge which I checked out for the view one night, but didn't have time to linger at. My only quibbles are that because it is new some hotel drivers might not know where it is. The tricky part is that it is actually on Brener Street which runs PARALLEL to Shenkin Street. I got lost one night because I had assumed it was on a side street to Shenkin Street. I was "rescued" by a local girl who found it on her iPhone. (BTW, don't be put off Israel by stories of poor service and/or unfriendliness. It does exist there as it does in most countries. However, i experienced numerous acts of kindness from random strangers during my week long stay). The good news is that every taxi driver will know Shenkin Street. I usually asked to be dropped off at the corner of Allenby and Brener Streets which is a 2 minute walk to the hotel. The hotel is always happy to call you a taxi which generally comes very quickly. Alternatively, I found it just as quick and easy to walk to Allenby Street and hail a taxi. Doing so means the taxi doesn't have to negotiate the numerous one-way streets that abound in Tel Aviv. (BTW, I felt perfectly safe walking around the area at all times of the day and night). My only other suggestion for improvement would be a better shower curtain. In my room the shower was in the bath tub. The shower itself was great, but water would often spill out on one side and gradually seep across to the other side where the bath mat was. Overall, I had a great stay and would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a Junior Suite. It is just a larger room, not a suite in the usual sense.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank amrp2012
AnatteLitvak, General Manager at Shenkin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Dear amrp2012,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review!

I’m so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that you preferred our intimate 4 star boutique hotel to the Intercontinental.

While we may not offer a pool and are a 10 minute walk from the beach, we do strive to provide top rate service, comfortable and stylish rooms, and services such as FREE WIFI throughout the entire hotel including the rooms and public spaces, FREE local and international phone calls, as well as FREE coffee, tea, and cookies in our garden lounge for our guests’ enjoyment 24/7.

You are correct that many boutique hotels in Israel feature urban sized rooms, however, as you mentioned, we wanted to provide a comfortable accommodation for every budget. Our Junior Suite is our most spacious and pampering option, while still being affordable.

Thank you for caring enough to provide us with this bit of constructive criticism regarding the shower curtain. We will absolutely look into the matter and will attend to it should there be something that needs adjusting.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

This intimate boutique hotel offers outstanding, friendly service and a fantastic location for those visiting Tel Aviv. The young entrepreneurs of Hotel Shenkin have achieved a hip, fun style combined with well equipped amenities. The rooms are small, but cozy and very clean.
Minutes from the artisans shook, beach and restaurants, all within easy walking distance, this little gem of an accommodation is at the top of my " will stay here whenever I am in town" list.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Advenmom
AnatteLitvak, General Manager at Shenkin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear Advenmom,

Thank you for your lovely review.

We take pride in both our 5 star round-the-clock service, and our urban location in the heart of tel aviv.

The young owners wanted to create a hip and stylish hotel with an atmosphere that reflected their personalities and the vibrant city without compromising on the amenities, and we are glad that you felt as though they achieved their goal.

We all look forward to welcoming you back to Shenkin Hotel the next time you are in town.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

The Shenkin Hotel gives you a "wow" feeling, even in a small space. The blend of traditional tile with modern, sleek lounge spaces gives you the feel of home: assuming that your home is an ultra-cool urban apartment featured in a style magazine.
The staff were helpful, the rooms clean, and the location was in the center of it all. At the same time, the hotel is on a quiet side street, giving you the best of both worlds. I would go back, for a night on the town, on business or with family.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Todd Z
AnatteLitvak, General Manager at Shenkin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Todd Z,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Shenkin Hotel for your urban escape, and for your wonderful sentiments.

We are glad that our hotel gave you that “wow” factor, that you found the design cool and befitting of a style magazine, and the location ideal – in the center of everything but tucked away on a quiet residential street.

We would be thrilled to have you back as a returning guest the next time you are looking for a quick getaway from Jerusalem.

Good luck with the remodeling, and I am sure we will see you soon.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

A home away from home! I had not travelled overseas for many years and after many hours of research on the Internet, I decided on booking into the Shenkin Hotel. It was a wonderful choice - most helpful staff, very comfortable and clean accommodation, many extra facilities, central location - in fact just perfect! I can highly recommend it to anyone, especially a person travelling on her own. Mercia S. Cape Town

Room Tip: I stayed in the smallest room which was most suitable for one person and spent one night in the next...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Mercia S
AnatteLitvak, General Manager at Shenkin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Dear Mercia S,

It was a pleasure having you as our guest for 8 nights!

We thank you for choosing to stay with us, and for all the leads you’ve provided us regarding advertising in South Africa.

We are so glad that you had a great stay in our Junior Room – which although intimately sized features a double bed, walk in shower with rainforest showerhead, writing desk, night stand, Smart TV system, and all the other amenities that make a stay positively comfortable.

We look forward to your return to Tel Aviv and to our hotel.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Shenkin hotel is "hidden" in a small street just around the corner os the center of TA. It super well designed, very well equipped, it has a great roof floor with a view of the city and the sea. The general atmosphere in very quiet the stuff is friendly.
The total experience is unique caring and with a hunger for more..

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Yehuda H
AnatteLitvak, General Manager at Shenkin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Yehuda H,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and write a review.

We are glad to hear that you liked our location - on a quiet street a few meters from Shenkin in the heart of Tel Aviv – and the facilities that we offer. Our young staff of locals help to create a friendly and relaxed atmosphere, as they really care about each and every one of our guests strive to leave them with the best experience possible.

We hope to welcome you back to Tel Aviv and our hotel during your next urban getaway.

Reviewed 25 August 2013

Well, I'd rather keep my enthousiasm for the ones that will obviousely feel the same once they'll book a stay at Shenkin. Sure, we do speak according to our own experiences, ours was great. No complains here only multiple thumbs up. Great Location, design, comfort, stunning roof-top view and last but not list, the staff. They really make make the all thing come together for an unforgettably pleasant stay. We loved the fact that you have the choice of 2 different cafés for breakfast, pretty unusual for an hotel. So much better! It puts you straight into the Tel Aviv dynamic and euphoria, tasty food also! Highly recommended. We will go back.

Room Tip: All rooms are really comfy.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Blake W
AnatteLitvak, General Manager at Shenkin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2013

Dear Blake W,

We thank you for your review and for choosing to stay at our hotel.

We are so glad that you had a great experience and enjoyed breakfast outside of the hotel. We chose to not have breakfast in the hotel because we wanted our guests to experience Tel Aviv cafes and enjoy a more authentic and local experience – which it sounds like you had.

The entire staff is looking forward to welcoming you back.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 23 August 2013

When you don't know the city, it is a perfect place to enjoy Tel Aviv. Ideally located by day or by night to reach the market, the bars, the beach, the center, it is a pleasure to stay at that hotel. Beautiful bedrooms, superb roof terrace, very efficient staff (and very welcoming), the hotel offers a haven of rest from the bubbling city. I recommend it "les yeux fermes".
The price is not so cheap but, frankly, you don't regret it and as I am travelling a lot, it is now definitely one of my favorite hôtels.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank christian j
AnatteLitvak, General Manager at Shenkin Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Dear Christian J,

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a recommendation about our hotel here on Tripadvisor - it means a lot coming from such a seasoned traveler such as yourself.

We’re so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that the location, design, public spaces, and staff were all highlights of your stay.

Thank you so much for the kind remark that you would recommend our hotel with “eyes closed”.

Like you said, while our hotel is not “cheap,” we are competitively priced in a city that is quite expensive, and we offer a great value for money accommodation in the heart of the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town.

Warmest Regards,