“The most awful stay at Tel-Aviv”

The Clock - Tel Aviv Jaffa Luxury Apartments
Ranked #14 of 40 Tel Aviv B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

I've rented this place for my friend for one night. She had to wait for two hours before room was ready and manager was very rude to her. She had to bring her bag to the 4th floor as elevator was broken. Room was dirty, full of insects and lack of air. Balcony overlooked dirty street of old Jaffa and bunch of garbage on the roof of the nearest building. Strictly don't recommend this stay!!!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Yabadubadu

Reviewed 16 March 2014

The best thing going for the Clock is its location. It is right around the corner from the clock tower square (as it's name implies) and Abouelafia, a 24/7 bakery that us usually packed. It sits right next to the flea market and across the street from Dr. Shakshuka, the great purveyor of Israel's national comfort food. Just up the road, past the mosque is Old Jaffa, the old city with its antiquities museum and pretty pink Catholic church. Just past the clock tower to the left is the Jaffa boardwalk to the redeveloped port and it's many seafood restaurants, while to the right is the beach and a very easy walk up Tel Aviv's beachfront to the old train station (now an upscale mall).

But the location alone doesn't make the place (Atlas Hotels is building a competitor across the street), but rather the level of cleanliness comfort and customer service (still somewhat unusual in Israel) that I did not expect from a converted apartment in a once downtrodden neighborhood.

While I wholeheartedly recommend the Clock, I note that I had to walk up several flights of stairs to get to my room. The ground floor is not accessible by elevator. This did not bother me, but if walking up stairs is a problem, I don't know if the place has available accommodations.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Justin J
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Kobi and Jonathan are just two fantastic hosts who both have a great sense of humour
Kobi greeted us with an exceptionally friendly welcome and kindly offered us many suggestions during our stay, providing discounted offers from various local businesses
Nothing was a problem and he spent a lot of time with us making sure we we heading in the right direction for food etc...
The room was great, all it's facilities were modern and best of all it was just right there in the mix of fabulous places to eat and everything artistic.
An added bonus was the kitchenette,with a microwave that allowed for a little bit of self catering
A really nice stay in a hotel that is wonderfully positioned, you could get here by taking the metro to Tel Aviv Central and then going outside to find the #10 bus that took you to the CLOCK and from there it was a 300m walk Better and much much cheaper than taking a taxi but allow at least 2 hours to get there

Room Tip: Just ask anyone young when you need to know anything as they generally have a good grasp of English
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Clock was the perfect start to our first trip to Israel. A reasonably priced private shuttle from TLV to the hotel was arranged for us by Jonathan, the manager. We were given a 1-bedroom with a loft, balcony, a kitchenette and three flat screen TVs! The TVs were not necessary because The Clock is steps away from the market, restos, historic sights, the beach and the old port. We had a delicious dining adventure at The Old Man and the Sea. Please note: need to climb steps to the rooms and, if a light sleeper, ask for a room facing the back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We loved The Clock – the room was modern, but with charming high ceilings, and there was a coffee/tea maker for the morning. This isn't your usual hotel (no lobby and no breakfast); it's almost more like a small, urban apartment that you rent for the night. It's a great location, though, right in the thick of the flea market (decent amount of street noise, but nothing out of the ordinary) and just a few blocks from the port of Jaffa. Amazing.

One thing to note: There are instructions within the room on how to fire up the boiler so you get hot water. We did not read these instructions... so we took ice-cold showers, wondering how the hot water was so nonexistent! The shower is otherwise lovely – had we known how to work it!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank erinpressonladd
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Firstly the check in time is after 4pm and then the reception closes at 6pm. So that's a very generous 2 hour check in window which with the speed of Israeli buses is setting all travellers up for failure. I arrived at 630pm and tried calling with my mobile using Skype and the owner hung up on my 3 times. I went to neighbouring business that were still open. One was pissed off and had no interest in helping me. The second business called the owner and explained to me that "this happens regularly".
I finally got in my room. The bathroom was filthy with marks in the toilet bowl and urine stains on the toilet seat. I took photos of the filth and emailed to the manager and he never bothered to reply. I will attempt to upload.
I emailed the owner and asked if he could please open reception at 845 or 850pm so I could leave and make a train connection. He never replied. I was quite nervous about making this train and slept poorly all night.
A young lady opened the reception at 9am sharp. I explained I was in a hurry and she proceeded to answer her private mobile twice to have conversation and answer the business phone once and have long conversations. I advised her about the shocking state of the toilet and she demonstrated no interest.
Due to leaving reception so late it was needless to say I missed my train and almost missed my flight.
I would NOT recommend this place!!
Oh yeah- try to stay away from the apartments near the reception as they are still renovating the upper apartments and the work men make a lot of noise in the morning.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank BeautifulLao
KobiC2, Manager at The Clock - Tel Aviv Jaffa Luxury Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear BeautifulLao, 1st of all I would like to thank you for your review.

As we are doing our best to make any guest a special service we still can miss and get one of them unsatisfied. sorry to hear and learn that your experience wasn't as good as we are usualy giving.

The opening hours of the reception is:
Sunday to Thursday: 08:00 to 21:00
Friday: 08:00 to 19:00
Saturday: 09:00 to 18:00

After hours we are available 24/7 by phone. As you mentioned you tried to use the skype calls, you might had a problem with that. It's the 1st time we are getting that such of complain.

About the email that you said you sent us, as I'm receiving all the emails directly, I never saw or received any email from you.

I will be happy to get from you an email with no photos on it (maybe it was too big to be delivered) and I will reply you as soon as I will get it.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Kobi Cohen
Manager
The Clock
Tel Aviv Jaffa Luxury Apartments

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

These apartments are just the first of several building restorations/renovations in the Jaffa neighborhood of Tel Aviv - across the street is an Atlas Boutique Hotel about to open on the summer of 2014. But so far they have not changed the character of the neighborhood in the way Old Jaffa has become mostly a tourist destination. We stayed in apt #6 which has 2 bedrooms, living room/kitchen and a balcony with a view of the sea - it was perfect for the 3 of us - would be great for 2 couples at only $100 each!
The amenities are high end and stylish with a flat screen TV in each room and lovely rain-shower in the bathroom. You are 2 blocks from the promenade along the sea and up to Old Jaffa or a short walk to the Neve Tzedek neighborhood.

If you are traveling to Tel Aviv and want to stay somewhere away from the beach scene and big tourist hotels in a unique neighborhood this is an affordable alternative. The Clock apartments give you so much more room for what you would pay at other hotels without sacrificing style and boutique amenities. I would definitely stay here again! You should, however, be aware that as in old Arab houses you will need to use the stairs to get to the top floor apartments but they also have the best views.

• Stayed: January 2014