“OPHIR -What a dissapointment !!!”
Review of The Ophir Hotel

The Ophir Hotel
Ranked #31 of 40 Tel Aviv B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“OPHIR -What a dissapointment !!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Booked 10 day stay based on website reviews and pictures.
What a mistake..totally misleading.
Hotel room was rundown, crudely finished, lights not working, hard bumpy mattress, one pillow for 2 adults, no soap or shampoo, holes in the roof and walls, toilet broken, shower doors not sealing as a result water all over bathroom floor.
Staff was helpful in trying to switch the room for us but new room was no better.TV and cable box hanging by wires off nails in the wall.

Tried to get refund for balance of 8 days as we left after second night but no luck...
Avoid unless you are a student traveling on a budget

Room Tip: AVOID !!! This hotel is not worth it
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ron K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Slovak first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Firstly for kosher consumers - we got the "of course its kosher we are in Israel" response.....
The room looked like the photo, but the wires hanging out of the walls dont feature in the photo, the complete lack of service (having to ask for towels and then go back for enough) was annoying. There are no lifts and the hotel is over several floors so if carrying your bags up stairs is an issue this is the hotel for you. It took us 2 days to get a receipt - and oh yes, you will need to pay cash. We were told they can do credit card but only do so for their Expedia clients.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

1 Thank Karen P

Travellers are raving about these Tel Aviv hotels

London
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed at this hotel and though I cannot deny the attentiveness of the staff and the service they provided, I was disappointed in the room provided to me. It was on the same floor as the check in desk, but was right out the back and did not represent the pictures on the website or reviews.
The breakfast is extensive and the staff very efficient helpful.

• Stayed January 2014
Gdansk, Poland
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

I booked a room at Ophir for the New Years Eve. It seemed as a decent choice, but how wrong I was. During the first night it turned out that the window cannot be locked properly. I complained to the porters and I was told that that nobody for sure will not try to break into our room, even though it was on the first storey and there was a large rubbish bin below it and the room was totally accessible from the street. When I kept conplaining about the window I was offered a room... without windows! We thrn decided to stay at the room with window problen and think it over the next day. In the morning we were waken up by workers that were doing some work just in front of our door. Again we complained and were given no solution. At that point we got really angry and my fiance went to the porter and threatend him that we will leave the hotel today. The porter became very nonchalant and rude and told my fiance that we will have to pay for all the nights booked. I then had to go and talk to him myself and fortunatrly made him change his mind. I think Ophir is a terrible hotel and I would suggest anybody to pay Usd20 more and get a more decent experience.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Ibiza, Spain
Reviewed 11 February 2014

We were 2 Spanish girls travelling in Israel and Tel aviv was the end of our trip. We stayed in there for 3 days and the staff was friendly and helpful with us. It has really good location if you like visiting the city or going out at night time

Room Tip: Next to the reception cause you get internet in the room
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 February 2014

The young guy at reception was helpful but this is the most horrible "hotel" I have ever stayed,
I am happy I just stayed there for only one night , less than 24 hours, that was enough for having nightmare. i couldnt touch anything in that room not even take a shower
From entrance door, the reception area , stairs, room, bath room are disgusting, dirty. i cant call it hotel, not even hostel
if this is the condition after renovation imagine what was the condition before that , yukkkkk.
Forget about breakfast, yukkkkkk
The pictures posted of the website dont show the dirtiness of the rooms
Enough to say
The only positive thing about this Hostel is Location, it is the middle of the shopping area
My recommendation is pay more and stay some where else

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

If you are thinking of booking here based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor - think again! You'll notice that these were posted "in partnership with The Ophir Hotel"...enough said.

I stayed here the night before I was due to fly out and while I'm fine with rustic accomodation, this was one of the most depressing stays I've ever had anywhere.

The tiny room didn't have any windows and the "bathroom" was a miniscule shower and toilet seperated from the bed by a shower curtain only. The walls are also paperthin (in a certain section of the wall I could literally see light coming though in the early hours of the morning) and as an added bonus you get to hear the boisterous conversations of the staff at 6am.

On the subject of the staff, I only interacted with one sullen and rude younger man. In the 12 hours I stayed he provoked two differetnt guests into raising their voices. I also saw him openly mock another guest once she had returned to her room. Disgusting.

DO NOT STAY HERE. It is a complete hole! Don't be tricked into thinking that because you are paying a reasonable price you will be rewarded with a reasonably comfortable stay. You will be ripped off.

Room Tip: No such thing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo