“New York quality food, New York Prices”
Review of Herbert Samuel - CLOSED

Herbert Samuel
Price range: US$25 - US$200
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 19 March 2012

When we arrived on Friday, looking for a place to eat near the hotel, the Concierge suggested a little restaurant several blocks away - Herbert Samuel - with "the best chef in Israel. " She managed to get us reservations at the bar.   The restaurant had a European vibe, with dishes that were slightly  larger than tapas, beautifully plated with edible flowers and outstanding colors. We started with lucious whole wheat bread studded with nuts, and a sweet olive oil.  The bartender ordered for us: tuna in a bright green basil sauce, another tuna with peanuts and pickles, tomato salad with feta, fois GRAS with chutney (which made me finally understand the lure of fois gras), tagliaterre with calamari, and for dessert we had kataifi with pistachio ice cream and mango.  Add a glass of wine and ouzo with mint, and we had a fantastic dinner.

There are newer reviews for Herbert Samuel

Reviewed 15 March 2012

Great place, great for people watching. Attentive staff. We arrived late with our kids, staff was helpful in getting us settled. Only drawback is that the place was so busy the service was at times slow. Other then that, food is amazing

Reviewed 14 March 2012

The concierge recommended this place because it had great food and was close to the hotel but I found the place too expensive for what you get. When I came in I had a reservation for a seat at the bar but asked for a table and was told you can have it but you have to be out in an hour. I guess that is ok. But if you want me to get out quickly you should have a menu for me to select my items from instead of just a drinks and wine menu. The tomato salad was great but the chicken was small and did not have a lot of flavor. The place was packed when I left but it was Purim and there were a lot of children around.

Reviewed 3 March 2012

We ate there 3 years ago one of the best meals we had. This time it was horrible and really pricey.

The bartender was nice, but the food was too sophisticated and not good combinations.

Very disappointing.

Wouldn't go back again

Reviewed 27 February 2012

very good fusion asian- mediteranian style, great abiance also at the bar. bit more fancy than other places in town but still casual enough. (tel aviv doesnt realy have black tie restaurants).
nicest kitchen to look at