“Great Value for Money in Amman”
Review of ibis Amman

ibis Amman
Ranked #25 of 143 Hotels in Amman
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Great Value for Money in Amman”
Reviewed 8 April 2010

I had stayed at this hotel for one night only - arriving late at night from the Queen Alia International Airport and departing soon after breakfast for a tour of Jerash, Ajloun, Salt & Jordan Valley before heading to the Dead Sea for a night's stay. So my main reasons for choosing this hotel was simply because I needed a relatively cheap place for a sleepover (by comparison to other similar hotels in Amman) & because it's quite new.

As it was just a short overnight stay, I didn't find any negatives about the hotel. The positive sides are as follows:
+ the hotel is new, the check-in was smooth, the room is good and spacious enough, LCD TV, small sofa, etc.
+ internet is free
+ the breakfast spread was somewhat limited (salads, fruits, breads and pastries, cereals, and some local breakfast dish) but it was not bad.
+ breakfast area (oopen cafe) is spacious, thus you don't actually have to almost literally sit by other people's side like in some other hotels.
+ location is just across the road from Amman Mall.

One note however, I booked the room through Ibis' website a few days before the stay and paid in Jordanian Dinar. At the hotel reception however, I saw the published rates as slightly lower than the ones quoted on the website. Not sure if this is always the case - it's possibly due to the fluctuation in exchange rate.

Overall, I'd probably stay here again if I'm here on a short stopover in Amman.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I just had the most painful experience I have ever had in an Ibis. The only reason I am not screaming out loud is because of the wonderful gentle nature of the Jordanian people (which reflected itself in the hotel staff) as well as my continued (though diminished) respect for Ibis - for the reliable, cost-efficient ‘McDonalds’ concept they have created in hospitality.

Having said that, my experience in this hotel was close to dreadful. On arrival I was told that a ‘buffet’ dinner was on offer. When I showed up, it turned out to be a choice of a few salads and a single hot dish (beef steak with vegetables). When I asked the waiter how on earth a single dish had qualified for the term ‘buffet’, I was told that at JD 15 ($22) it was a fantastic deal!

I served myself some green salad, but after a few bites noticed the horrifying sight of a live green maggot (about 1cm long) in my salad, shaking its head and slowly making its way up the green leaf it was sitting on. When I showed it to the F&B manager, he promptly replaced the salad, apologised and offered me free breakfast the next day – which I felt was much too feeble a gesture for committing the ultimate culinary crime.

True to form, the buffet breakfast also turned out to be the tiniest I had ever witnessed, despite being priced at the mid-range (JD 9, $14). On top of that, most items (including eggs, juice, cereals and milk) had run out and not been replenished, despite it being only 8am and the restaurant hardly being busy. Some of the items had containers that were clearly not suited to them – for example, the corn flakes tube container acted more like a ‘grinder’, churning out powdered flakes as you turned the wheal!

Most disturbingly, the hotel’s minimalistic approach was fully observed in the paper-thin walls of rooms and corridors. You could hear everything – and I mean every thing, even small movements or murmuring conversations in the next room. This made it impossible to sleep before any of your neighbours had done so, and forced you to wake up with the first person in the vicinity having a shower in the morning.

On the plus side -- the hotel was fairly well located, staff were disarmingly polite and friendly (though not always the most efficient), the rooms and lobby were clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable, the price was reasonable (JD 72 / $108) and there was free high-speed wireless Internet.

Overall though, it seemed that Ibis Jordan had taken the ‘no-frills’ concept way too far, which was a real shame and a faith-shaking experience for me personally. As a loyal Ibis fan, I had frequently picked Ibis for my own and my staff’s business travel, in Eastern Europe as well as the Middle East. Not anymore. Going forward, I will be checking the reviews every time I consider a new Ibis!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Amman hotels

Arnhem, Netherlands
Reviewed 5 April 2010

We took a taxi from the airport and the hotel was known and we were brought to the hotel. The rooms are small, but have a lot of comfort, a small couch, a desk and a good closet. Also a flatscreen and a small but clean bathroom.
The mall (with McDonalds and supermarket) is only 2 minutes away. There are always taxi's waiting to bring you to town.
Restaurant Oopen serves as breakfast area in the mornings and pasta / grill restaurant in the evenning where you can chose between a la carte or buffet (15 jod). The breakfast buffet is excellent, in the evening we preferred a la carte.
The wireless internet is free, but there are also 3 computers available with free internet.

Dubai
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Stayed here for two nights and were very impressed by Ibis quality. Had never stayed at Ibis hotels before and had only seen them in Dubai and was not very impressed by the facade, but this stay totally changed my mind. Fantastic value for money - clean rooms, modern furnishings, good bathroom fixtures, great hotel location (right opposite small mall with supermarket and fast food options, next to Reem al Bawadi [good Lebanese/Arabic cuisine], down the road from a Habibeh branch [Arabic sweet shop] and a 5-10 minute cab ride away from the cafes of Shmeisani and Abdoun), and great staff (Haleem at the front desk deserves special mention! - super friendly, efficient and very helpful), 24 hour cafe/restaurant , free wifi and a fantastic $100 a night rate - all made for a great stay!
Highly recommended if you're looking for a clean, basic hotel in Amman.

Dubai
Reviewed 22 March 2010

I stayed here for two different nights and everything was positive. The first room was a bit small, but everything in the hotel is new and modern.

The staff is good, however a bit inexperienced I would say. First day I asked for a map or guide, but they said they didn't have because the hotel is new...?!?, fair enough... I asked for some directions or places to go to visit in Amman and they referred me to a book store in the nearby mall... I gave him the look and he explained me everywhere to go.... I also asked to borrow a towel since we were going to the dead sea and I would bring the day after, they said they could not, their supervisor would complain about the missing towel....?!? I gave them the look and asked for supervisor and they came with the towel.... Besides this, the staff is really helpful and friendly you just need to push them a bit to make them be more flexible....

There is a Hertz counter in the lobby area, I rented a car here for 3 days, this make your life easier also.

Internet is free and fast if you have a laptop, this should be standard in all hotels.

If I ever go back to Amman I won't doubt to stay in Ibis again, the value for money was really good.

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Stayed in the Amman Ibis for our first night in Jordan. It is a typical Ibis hotel, very new, functional and clean. The staff were all very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JGLKI
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 18 January 2010

This hotel opened some time in 2009, and is modern and pleasant. Right outside the hotel is a small shopping mall with a grocery store and fast food places. The rooms don't have mini bar (at least I could't find one) but room service is 24 hours plus there is a bar by the reception that is open 24 hours also. The room is functional, clean and modern. Free wireless internet for all guests, no extra cost. The staff is helpful and professional.
The only issue I had was that the shower temperature was a bit erratic one day.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo