“Pleasant stay at Canyon Boutique Hotel”

Canyon Boutique Hotel
Ranked #116 of 149 Hotels in Amman
Reviewed 15 June 2010

We were booked at the Canyon Boutique Hotel by our trip planner and I was worried about staying there after the lousy recent reviews. She said that they'd never had complaints so I didn't force a change.
The hotel is light, clean, and comfortable. The standard rooms are not large and not set up for someone intending to do work, e.g., no desk but a coffee table on which we could do basic computer work -- and free WIFI. But the rooms and baths were clean and attractive and the beds comfortable.
The staff was helpful in every instance we requested aid and in basic transactions.
Breakfast was relatively light but the food offered was good and the dining area, including a terrace, very nice.
The upstairs dining room and terrace were lovely though the menu is modest as they are redoing one kitchen.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 May 2010

Let me preface this review by saying that I'm generally favorable with hotels - 99% of the time, even if a hotel is nothing special, I have a good experience, the hotel is clean and reasonably quiet, and It's not utterly terrible. The Canyon Boutique Hotel, however, is completely terrible and possibly the single worst hotel I've stayed in on my travels.

The location is good, and it was nice to be across the street from a large modern supermarket (and sharing the parking lot with a very modern hospital -- my stepfather had asthma issues during the trip -- which I'm sure his smoky room only exacerbated -- and had to go to the emergency room which was literally a two-minute walk away.)

The hotel at first looks small, boutique-y, and trendy, with lots of modern design touches. Then one begins to notice the grimy carpets. The thick layer of dust on the in-room coffee machine. The dirty glasses. The broken toilet seat. The broken close-up mirror in the bathroom. The absent pillowcase on the filthy pillow. And all that was just my room; others in our group begged for soap, only to have it taken the next time the housekeeper came, or had broken reading lights, and other issues. (On our third day there, the toilet seat was repaired.)

It was very warm in our room, and when we called we found that the hotel staff had turned the A/C system off. (Even though Amman was experiencing uncharacteristically warm weather for mid-March -- approximately 90 degrees Fahrenheit.)

The hotel supposedly had Wi-Fi available, but it was sporadic at best in the lobby and almost completely nonexistent in the rooms -- I could see the networks, but could not connect to them.

Dinner in the hotel's restaurant was good, with fish in a nice Hollandaise-type sauce and a good fried apple pastry for dessert. However, breakfast is clearly minimal-effort, with stale bread and oozing cheese left out. Also, good luck getting coffee or tea. And if you're not there when the restaurant opens for breakfast, and you're the second person that day to use a table, good luck even getting a cup for coffee. Or a napkin or silverware. Or a clean plate.

The worst part, though, was how they treated me. Upon check-in, I wanted to send some shirts to be laundered, and noticed that no laundry bag was present. I asked at the desk for a laundry bag, and the receptionist said that one would be sent up, but it never arrived. The next morning at breakfast, I asked again for a laundry bag, with the same result: one was promised but never delivered. I went out sightseeing for the day with my group, and upon returning went to try to use the Internet service in the below-ground lobby. When I returned to my room, I was utterly shocked to find a large package on my bed with ALL my clothes, cleaned and wrapped in plastic. The housekeeper or someone had gone through my things, taken my dirty clothes from my dirty-clothes bag (which didn't look like the hotel's; it was from an Egyptian hotel I'd visited two weeks prior) -- which was in a far corner, under my suitcase -- and had washed everything. (I did not take my clothes to the desk, nor had I left them outside the room, nor had I left them near the door, nor had I filled out the laundry form.) I informed the front desk (together with my tour guide, in English and Arabic) that this had happened, and that I did not intend to pay for this since the hotel had performed this service without my permission or authorization. The receptionist said they would address the problem later, since the housekeeping manager was not present. The next morning, we tried again to address the issue, but the housekeeping manager was still not present.

When I checked out, I was stopped and prevented from leaving because of the bill. I once again informed them that I would not pay for a service that I did not request, and they produced a laundry bill on which they'd forged my name, and wanted to charge me JD41 -- about US$60. An unbelievably unpleasant twenty-minute argument ensued. The attitudes of the two receptionists, the housekeeping manager, and two other managers ranged from standoffish to smarmy to downright hostile, and were imbued throughout with a "customer-is-always-wrong" mentality. One receptionist went so far as to say "It's not my problem." The housekeeping manager blamed my roommate, saying that he shouldn't have said "thank you" when my clothes were delivered if I hadn't requested them to be washed. (My roommate had no idea I hadn't sent anything out.) Hotel staff also told me that my asking for a laundry bag was a signal that I wanted *all* my clothes washed (for all the hotel knew, I might have wanted a plastic bag to store wet sandals), that when Jordanians travel, they're happy when hotel staff wash all their clothes (how must Jordanians deal with clothes they don't want washed? Hide them? Put them in the hotel safe?), that I "should be happy" the clothes had been washed, and that I was a thief and a criminal.

My tour guide was also with me, and fortunately took my side and argued with staffers in Arabic while I argued with them in English. Not once did the hotel concede that they might be in the wrong, and never did they admit responsibility for a single problem during the stay.

After the third time they threatened to call the police and have me arrested (!), I reluctantly paid the bill. Under no circumstances would I ever recommend this hotel to anyone. I've traveled in 32 countries -- many of them far less-developed than Jordan -- and never had an experience as insulting and truly unpleasant as this one.

• Stayed: March 2010
4  Thank Vidiot42
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We stayed at the Canyon Boutique Hotel in Amman for one night on our way to the Dead Sea from Damascus.
I agree with all comments below, except that we found the girl at the front desk adequately helpful.
The hotel does look trendy at first sight, but a slightly closer inspection will reveal a hotel which is run down and a bit dirty. The third bed in our triple room was extremely uncomfortable and with inadequate bedding. There was an annoying fan noise buzzing in the background all night. The sliding bathroom door did not close properly. The minibar fridge was empty and turned off.
Worst of all was the breakfast buffet: hard stale bread, empty containers and milk which had gone off. Only upon fervently requesting more food did the two Thai girls at the restaurant finally come up with some fresh bread.
We booked our three rooms at the hotel with New Steps Travel and Tourism through the www.hotels-jordan-booking.com/ website. Although quite helpful before our trip, we were pestered by their representative to have our full payment before breakfast - he phoned our room at least three times around 8AM in the morning (very annoying given that we had arrived at 2AM the previous night) insisting that I should go down to the lobby there and then to pay in full for our three rooms in cash.
Overall a very unpleasant experience, not to be repeated.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank cha72
Reviewed 7 April 2010

This hotel looks trendy when you walk in the door till you take a closer look. The surfaces of furniture even in the lobby are covered with dust. Carpets are filthy, particularly the main staircase down to the lobby, but also in our room. The place is very run down looking and we learned that it had been built/renovated within the last two years. I would have sworn it was at least 10-15 years old without updates. HVAC did not work we thought--then we learned that the staff turned it off, although it was almost 90 degrees in Amman. The room is strangely designed so that the closet is difficult to access, and the bathroom has a big glass window into the bedroom covered only by uneven miniblinds. But the most awful parts of this hotel are cleanliness and poor service. Towels are gray and some days they leave them and some days they don't. Things smelled of smoke, difficult because Amman is also polluted and my husband was having problems with asthma. Bathroom was minimally cleaned during our stay. The worst thing happened to our son in another room. He asked for a laundry bag two different days but they never brought one. He returned at the end of the second day to find that they had come in the room, gotten his laundry bag from another hotel that was filled with all his dirty laundry and stored beneath his suitcase, taken it all away and sent it to the laundry without his permission. The charge was $60 and when he refused to pay, they produced a laundry requisition form they had completed and on which they had forged his name and threatened to call the police if he didn't pay. The housekeeper kept saying it was not her problem. Housekeeping and desk staff at the hotel were not only not helpful but they were also argumentative with a "customer cannot be right" attitude toward any complaint. And the supposedly available WiFi in the lobby was not working most of the time. Their refusal to accept responsibility for cleanliness and mistakes like the laundry made me think they must be on the verge of bankruptcy. If they aren't, they should be.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank CarolinaBecky
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Very trendy looking, but nothing worked. Rooms didn't have what they needed. Sink plumbing leaked, shower was dirty. Others traveling with us had similar problems.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Handywoman9
Reviewed 19 March 2010

We stayed in this hotel for three nights. This hotel has a lot of potential, but lacks sorely in the housekeeping and management department. Our room was not clean; the carpet was so dirty. the bath linens were in short supply and although "clean" they were permantently soiled. The bath amenities were is short supply; even toilet paper needed to be requested. Bed linens were also not good. The air conditioning did not work properly, and we were told to open the window which was not a good alternative since the air quality was poor. This is all very unfortunate as this hotel could really be very nice.
On a positive note, the food service was good. There is a breakfast buffet and a decent menu to order off of for lunch and supper. Internet service, although free, is sporadic.
I believe for now, there are most likely much better choices for hotels in Amman.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank easygoingwesternUS
Reviewed 20 February 2010

The hotel is very small yet cozy. Staff was friendly and useful. Breakfast was somewhat poor, I expected a better selection of food.
Location of the hotel is not that good - you're remote from the city center and from 'european' part is which is between 5th and 7th circles. Yet, with taxi that's not an issue.
A free wifi internet was a nice surprise.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple