“Amazing”

Ranked #39 of 145 Hotels in Amman
Bettws Newydd, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We stayed for a three days for leisure . The hotel was great place to stay .The lobby and lounge are beautiful.Our room was very comfortable. The staff were friendly the welcoming was great.Old decoration but very classy breakfast was great and tasty. Overall it was nice place with good amenities and quick checkin.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Madison, Connecticut
Reviewed 6 May 2014

When I arrived at the Regency in Amman, I was impressed. A beautiful exterior and a spacious elegant lobby. It went down hill from there. At check in I was told that dinner was included. Dinner wasn't part of my plan, so that was a pleasant surprise. Though I normally prefer not to eat at hotel restaurants, I couldn't pass up a "free" meal. I went up to my room, which was spacious, and immediately noticed a stale tobacco smell, covered up,by deodorizer. I called the front desk and asked to change rooms, as my reservation specifically stated "non smoking room." I was told no non smoking rooms were available, but they could provide room freshener. No thanks!
I then went to take a shower before dinner, and the shower head sprayed everywhere, except where it should. I was now starting to get annoyed. I finally managed using the hand held shower.
I noticed a few drawers were open, so I shut them, but they continued to slide open. Not sure if the floor was tilted or the furniture just not balanced.
There was also a noticeable lack of outlets to charge my electronics. Only one in the bedroom and the standard razor outlet in the bath, that didn't seem to work. Wireless internet was available for $15 for 24 hours. All of the hotels I stayed at in Israel had free internet.
I had the buffet dinner which was mediocre, as was the buffet breakfast the next morning.
I had trouble sleeping because of the strong tobacco odor. I was very happy to get out of the room in the morning. When I checked out, I was charged for the dinner. Trying to argue that at check-in, I was told dinner was included, was fruitless. I had no proof. I actually think it was a scam, to have you eat in there dining room, instead of going out..
I'm not sure what to expect in a city like Amman, but the Regency didn't cut it. It had all of the trappings of a high end hotel, but poorly maintained and managed

Room Tip: Ask at check in if the room is non smoking. If told that dinner is included, get it in writing
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Lewis R
RegencyAmm, General Manager at Regency Palace Amman, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing our hotel during you last visit to Amman. We are sad to hear about the inconveniences caused during you stay and feel sorry about your overall impression about the hotel as we always seek our guests’ satisfaction.

In regards to your dinner charges, please rest assured that there are no scam schemes at our hotel. This was all based on a misunderstanding from our reception desk that was based on the meal plan of the group you arrived with. Our reception unfortunately made the assumption that since the rest of the group was on a half board basis, you reservation included the same meal plan.

We apologize about the inconvenience caused and feel sorry you ended up paying for a chargeable dinner that you never asked for. This should have never happened in the first place. Please note that our accounting department has just reimbursed your credit card for the dinner charges.

I would like to also draw your attention that all our guestrooms have multiple power outlets located by the working desk area, right next to the table lamps by the bed and another where the standing lamp sits. As for the smoke odor, we always try our best to accommodate requests for non smoking rooms; nonetheless this is always based upon availability. Nonetheless, we are sincerely sorry about the functionality of our bathroom’s shower head.

We value your feedback and will address all your issues with the concerned departments.

Firas Sawalha
Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed at the Regency Hotel as part of a 14 member tour group. Hotel is about 20 minutes in a taxi from Amman downtown and the Citadel area. Room and bathroom were quite spacious, bathrooms could use some work, the whole suite was very clean. Two complimentary bottles of water were provided each day (we were there 3 nights). English speaking news on the tv. Breakfast was very good with a huge variety of quality food,there was an egg chef which was great. A gym and lovely pool area were on levels 19 & 20 respectively. Staff were pleasant. Each time we entered the hotel our bags were scanned and we walked through a airport styled metal detector.

Now for the cons: expensive wifi (although free in Trader Vics but the trade off was expensive drinks), concierge was a little unhelpful telling us he no longer had maps of Amman and that we had to buy one from the inhouse bookshop. Drinks and food were very expensive. My main problem was with the heat, it was so hot in our room and if we opened the window we couldn't sleep because of the road noise.

A good hotel all round, we would stay there again, perhaps hoping that the rooms may be cooler.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Regency Palace Hotel in Amman is a typical international hotel that has quite high standards overall BUT the paint and woodwork in the bathroom really need a little attention. However saying that there was ample hot water, the shower and bath were easily controlled.

We arrived after midnight for a one night stay before continuing on a mainly bird watching holiday in Jordan so a single nights stay may be a little misleading. We found the bath room had no bath towels BUT were too tired after 16 hours travelling to report this to the management. When we did the following morning they were overcome that the room had not been completely serviced before we entered the room. On waking we found our room had a view over a very dusty Amman and also an unfinished multi storey hotel building or car park. For us this was no problem as we were moving on a few hours later. Many other rooms on the other side of the hotel had a much better outlook.

Breakfast was typical international food with a Jordanian slant. All very good and it was also typically self service as one would expect at this time of day.

Hotel security is high as all bags went through a detector typical of the kind you find at airports though there was no body search following a walk through another airport typical metal detector.

Room Tip: Slightly better views in room that over look the front entrance
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank makesholiday
UK
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I have been to over 20 hotels in the past 6 years and this was one of the worst.
The positives about this hotel:
. Nice lobby
. Friendly staff
. Quick to correct mistakes.
The negatives:
. we arrived at 2:00AM and were forced to go to more than one room, due to the first room smelling like a cigaret, the second room was with twin beds, we ordered a king size bed, and finally the third room which had a broken hot water tab, broken air-conditioning, and used napkin on the bathroom floor. the manger was quick to correct the mistakes and offered free internet as compensation for our trouble, they also kept offering sweets, and checking on us to make sure we were satisfied. Which we appreciated.
The worse thing about the hotel I would say is the SALON. STAY AWAY! completely unprofessional! unreasonably priced!! I would honestly say health hazard. The lady attempted to fix fake eyelashes with a rusty scissors, while the lash was in my eye!!!
If the hotel wants to improve their standards they must make serious adjustments to the hotel's SALON at least! I did my own makeup for an event!
Also it's not exactly family friendly, as there is no nonsmoking section, the entire hotel even the breakfast lounge was a smoking atmosphere!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
RegencyAmm, Public Relations Manager at Regency Palace Amman, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings form Regency Palace Amman,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, positive and negative since our guest’s experience is a high concern of ours .

We apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced with your room allocation. Nevertheless, regarding the big building, it’s a building that is being constructed by the government and they stopped working on it for some reason. Though, we have three frontals with a city view which our guests can enjoy.

Regarding the salon issue, we sincerely offer you our dearest apologies, and we thought we should inform you that we conveyed your remarks and the right procedure had been taken, given that the salon isn't under our management, it is leased out and beyond our command.

We sincerely thank you for your comments once more, and hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future, assuring you of our best attention & utmost care to make your stay comfortable and pleasant.

Yours truly,
Regency Palace Management

Travellers are raving about these Amman hotels

Chelmsford
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We arrived late at night but a dinner bag was available in our room. Room was very large and comfortable. Great choice at breakfast. It was a shame we were only staying one night. The hotel was a 40minute drive from the airport, very convenient before moving on for our tour of Jordan.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Charlie-Fans
Johnson City TN
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Our room was fairly worn and so hot it was impossible to sleep so we opened the window/balcony door and didn't sleep because of the outside noise. The second night we decided to shut the door and it was too hot to sleep. The only response we got from the hotel staff was that it was too early in the season for air conditioner to be on. A lot of money not to have slept for two nights.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends