“Basic but Comfortable”

Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Amman
Van Buren, Arkansas
“Basic but Comfortable”
Reviewed 17 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights with an Intrepid Tour. One I paid for on my own which was say too high for what we got. There was no heat after a certain time nor hot water. But, to give credit due the beds were very comfortable and breakfast was the typical pita bread, boiled egg, cheeses and jam. It is right next door to a mosque, so you are woken very early with prayers but they were some of the most pleasant on the trip. In easy walking distance of several good places to eat and little convience type stores to pick up water.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Granted, this isn't the priciest hotel, but Caravan can end up costing twice as much as a hotel of the same or better quality in the Balad area.

I'm assuming the reason the Caravan hotel costs 10-20 JD more than similar hotels in Amman is because it is located right across from the beautiful King Abdullah Mosque. That's the only explanation I can think of. There's nothing else to visit nearby, nothing to do, no good places to get food. Granted anything is a 1-2JD taxi ride away in Amman, but still...

Caravan is the same as the hotels I frequent in the Balad in the sense that the rooms are run down but neat, bathrooms minimal and cramped (sometimes even unpleasant), the amenities likewise minimal, and the obligatory massive cockroach made its presence known.

Caravan is WORSE than the hotels I am used to in two regards: 1) I got eaten alive by bugs of some sort during the night, and I'm pretty sure they weren't mosquitos, and 2) the staff seems unsettlingly watchful of people's business. One of the greatest things about Caravan's competitors in Amman is they leave you to your own devices, and don't really seem too interested in anyone's business. It sucks to feel like someone is keeping tabs on you.

I would recommend Mamaya Hotel or Mansour Hotel for equal quality, or Farah for slightly better quality. All of these are cheaper, and close to some of Amman's best ruins and hole-in-the-wall restaurants. The only reason I go to Caravan is because my employers will often pay for my night there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank sheikhspeare
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 7 May 2013

We were booked here for 2 nights before our Intrepid tour. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Helped arranged taxis and offered advice on directions and what to see and do.
Although a very basic hotel, comfortable bed and friendly staff make it an ok hotel for 1 or 2 nights. Good, basic food available for dinner as not much else nearby.
Very basic hotel, showers are pathetic, hot water hit & miss - think it might be solar powered as evening shower seemed to be hotter than in the morning. Downside also that it is right next door to the mosque and a church so therefore noisy from 4am with the call to prayer and then the church bells from 7am.

Some taxi drivers don't know where it is so use the King Abdullah Mosque (blue mosque) as the landmark as the street is opposite.

Don't stay here if you want high quality accommodation, but you get what you pay for and ok for a quick stay.

Room Tip: We were lucky and had a double room with 2 double beds and quite a large bathroom, but our friends c...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

The rooms are pretty basic but fairly clean. The bathrooms are pokey and very slippery. Also hot water was pretty erratic. The best thing about the hotel was the 5.30am call to prayer from the king Abdullah mosque across the road. It was magical and the singer is fantastic. It's not for everyone though ESP if you like your sleep!

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I stayed here as part of my tour, I didnt get a choice. I had numerous problems, the staff are terribly rude. My friend from Jerash came to Amman to meet with me and they treated him like garbage. Toliet does not flush....hot rooms.....I couldnt open my door at all the staff had to come and help me cause it was not working properly. I also had a problem with one of the staff members approaching me at 2am.....not going to publish what he asked for......my tour company was informed and apparently he was fired. DO NOT STAY HERE....I stayed in a much nicer place in Amman. BTW breakfast was one hard boiled egg.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Katherine P
Toronto
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I was booked into this hotel as part of my Intrepid Travel tour. The hotel is 2 stars at max.

Not sure if this was common in other rooms but whenever we showered the drain under the sink would fill up causing a mini pool of water. It would drain itself but I found this to be weird. The tub was very tiny also but not a major problem.

Beds were comfortable and overall I found the rooms to be clean. If you needed any extra supplies you could ask and they would give you more as rooms are not cleaned daily.

Breakfast served is traditional middle eastern cuisine. boiled egg, pita, cheese, jams.

Please note that the hotel is RIGHT beside a major mosque and the call to prayer can be CLEARLY heard all 5 times make sure to wear ear plugs when you sleep

Room Tip: Make sure to wear earplugs when sleeping
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Valrico, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2012

This was the starting point for our Jordan/Egypt vacation and my wife and I both thought that it was adequate for a one night stay. The location was great although a bit loud in the early morning (bring earplugs). The staff was friendly & accomodating. It did need a complete facelift though as the structure is pretty old. Overall we were satisfied for one night but would not want to have stayed here for longer than that.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple